The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 31, 2014, 07:55 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

Since such a procedure would do nothing - it would then be used in arguments to extend gun bans, rules and whatever throughout IL and then the country.

What else is new?
Old May 31, 2014, 10:04 PM   #27
Sgt Pepper

It sure is easy to come up with and make all kinds of restrictive laws when you do not have to follow them yourself. If you wore a Rahm mask, it would be okay to block the cameras while you made your purchase.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1784783
Old June 1, 2014, 12:35 AM   #28
Armed_Chicagoan

Yeah, I just paid a $100 speed camera fine this morning for speeding in a "park zone". The "park zone" was a street with a cemetery on either side, unbeknownst to me one of them has a tiny sliver of "park" adjacent to it.

The warning signs weren't posted until after the speed camera.

Oh how I hate this city!
Old June 1, 2014, 06:43 AM   #29
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger
Besides, there would have to be some easy way of segregating, downloading and storing this video for.... how long? This would get cumbersome in short order.
Easy solution.

"Attention: All gun buyers consent to having a video of their gun purchase(s) uploaded to youtube, in order for us to comply with the law at a minimum of cost to you."
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 1, 2014, 07:05 AM   #30
Lakota

Down here we have show a pictured Drivers licence and they make a copy of it and put it with the forms.
Old June 1, 2014, 12:48 PM   #31
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
"Attention: All gun buyers consent to having a video of their gun purchase(s) uploaded to youtube, in order for us to comply with the law at a minimum of cost to you."
In that case, I would show up in a marching band uniform and horse mask, and I'd do the Barbie Girl dance every time I bought a gun. Let the psychologists in the media work that one out.

Quote:
Down here we have show a pictured Drivers licence and they make a copy of it and put it with the forms.
Most dealers do that, but it's a different situation. Having the photocopy helps in case the buyer's handwriting is unclear, and it can also show due diligence during an audit. Those copies are filed with the 4473's and aren't shared with anyone.
Old June 1, 2014, 01:25 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Being virtually given that the files, if held by the city, will find their way to the public domain, legally or otherwise, it is something to consider.

While not openly stated, there HAS to be some kind of link between just your face buying a gun, and your identity, in the file, for it to be of any use, or even be "found" in the filing system.

SO, potentially, the video is an electronic list of firearms owners. If there is any way for a govt agency to identify you in the video (name, address, etc), even if it is hidden code in the file, if it is there for the agency to use, it could be found, and used by someone else.

Think about that....
Old June 1, 2014, 10:04 PM   #33
Jay24bal

Quote:
If there is any way for a govt agency to identify you in the video (name, address, etc), even if it is hidden code in the file, if it is there for the agency to use, it could be found, and used by someone else.
Facial recognition software has been around for long time. It is simply a program that can match a photo of someone to another photo of someone. So a still from the video to your drivers license picture/FOID card/CCW permit/etc. It would not be hard to do.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "