The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 12, 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Commercial location while waiting on ATFE

01 FFL app processing takes 9-12 mos as I understand it. New approvals effectively require a commercial location. Does this mean one must pay rent through this period? In my area that is a minimum of $4500, and easily double that for a very small shop.
Seems unlikely one could make an arrangement with a leasing agency over that period either.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; May 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 12, 2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
01 FFL app processing takes 9-12 mos as I understand it.
Not so. Generally takes about 60 days.
Old May 12, 2014, 01:26 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
New approvals effectively require a commercial location. Does this mean one must pay rent through this period?
As I've pointed out in some past threads, check your local zoning codes in detail before you jump to conclusions, and pay particular attention to the sections discussing so-called "accessory" uses. Many municipalities allow home-based businesses provided that they're small in scope, don't operate late at night, and don't require commercial-style exterior features such as prominent signage or dedicated off-street parking. I've done several gun transfers at 01 FFL's that lawfully operate from private homes.
Old May 12, 2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
...Does this mean one must pay rent through this period? In my area that is a minimum of $4500, and easily double that for a very small shop.

Seems unlikely one could make an arrangement with a leasing agency over that period either...
Timelines, delay, governmental approvals, etc., are just some of the things anyone starting a business or opening a new business location must contend with, fund for and manage. That's one reason anyone starting a business needs to make sure he has adequate start-up capital.

Opening a new gun store can take time, and one needs to be prepared for that. It's not only a matter of getting one's FFL. One needs his business license, maybe a use permit, and perhaps a zoning variance. With the lease signed there are still issues of setting up the space -- which could include some construction (and associated permits and approvals), decorating, buying and moving in furniture, business equipment, supplies, inventory, fixtures, display cases, etc.

It's a matter of basic business skills. Being able to get everything done on time and in budget can be the difference between a successful business and a failed business. And things like when you must start paying rent on a business premises will depend on a variety of factors, including market conditions and your negotiating skills.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old May 12, 2014, 11:14 PM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
johnwilliamson062 01 FFL app processing takes 9-12 mos as I understand it.
Whoever told you that doesn't want the competition.........it's nowhere close to the truth.

Quote:
New approvals effectively require a commercial location.
Again, nowhere close to the truth. There is no ATF regulation that requires a "commercial location" whatever that is. What ATF DOES require is a business premises that is legal under your state, county, city, etc laws and ordinances, including HOA covenants and zoning restrictions.

ATF regularly approves the licensees home as their licensed premises. If your state/county/city/etc do not allow home based businesses, don't blame ATF, blame your local government.

Quote:
Does this mean one must pay rent through this period? In my area that is a minimum of $4500, and easily double that for a very small shop.
Seems unlikely one could make an arrangement with a leasing agency over that period either.
Yes, and other than firearms, you can sell anything you want.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE