The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 12, 2014, 01:19 AM   #1
ZVP

Classic look

I'm sitting here admiring my S&W Model 10 as I write this.
I can only tihnk of a few revolvers that have such a classic look as a HB S&W! All the calibers of the M&P have this perfect look about them! Yes the Colt Python also has "the Look" too!
Somehow guns like the Pracemaker and all it's clones carry a similar perfevt shapr about them!
The thin barreled S&W revolver is great for carrying and most are really accurate but they just look unbalanced. Besides, being more stable to shoot, the "look" gives you the impression that the gun will shoot! Face it, confidence really helps you shoot better.
I also prefer these Classic Heqvy Barrels in a 4" length as they carry much better.Pilling one from the holster also takes less movement and shortens draw time.
Pulling a long barreled revolver (like a '51 Navy" from a hip holster requires a lot of elbow bending and is actually ackward! For these, Cross Draws work better.
Back to the topic of heavy barrels, wvwn the 3" snubbies look better with a nicw fat barrel!
Probablly 50% of choosing a handgun is the way it looks! I'm not ashamed to admit I buy guns with their asthetics in mind too.
What do you prefer?
BPDave

Last edited by ZVP; February 13, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old February 12, 2014, 06:15 AM   #2
Guv

The thin barreled N frames (27, 28, 24, 25 etc...) have always caught my eye Nice used Smiths are getting pretty expensive these days.
Old February 12, 2014, 04:46 PM   #3
9mmfan

My general preference is 4", though 5 inchers don't hurt my feelings. Definitely prefer tapered barrels.

Snubs are another matter. They are mostly all cool.

Don't much care for full underlug barrels, either. I know you didn't ask about that, but I never let that stop me.
Old February 12, 2014, 07:14 PM   #4
GyMac

It's funny how things change. When I was young I could not have cared less for the .38 special. Now it's my favorite revolver caliber. Likewise, the only barrel type I liked was the HB. That too has changed and, while I still like the look of the HB, I prefer the tapered barrel.
Old February 12, 2014, 09:01 PM   #5
Bob Wright

This is my idea of the perfect DA revolver, 5" full lug, Model 29 in .44 Magnum:

I do like extra weight out towards the muzzle.

But, then, I sort of lean toward the Single Action:

Bob Wright
Old February 12, 2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Guv

Snub noses are cool, my older eyes like the short sight radius.
Old February 12, 2014, 11:22 PM   #7
feets

I like the HB too but I went with a 15-2 so I could get the better sights.
Old February 15, 2014, 10:28 PM   #8
JawjaBoy

As a rule I like at least a 4" barrel, with my preference leaning towards longer barrels, i.e. 6" or 7.5". This is especially true with larger calibers and anything with "Magnum" after the caliber.

That said, in recent years I have acquired several snubbies and have been shocked at just how well they are capable of shooting. The two that stand out the most are a little S&W 37 Airweight .38 I inherited from my mom and an Arminius HW6 .32 S&W Long that was my uncle's. Both have 2" barrels and are far more accurate than they have any right to be.
Old February 16, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9
OxyGuy

I have to disagree. When you say a "classic revolver" thin is in. The skinny barrel revolvers came along before the heavy barrel models.

Old February 16, 2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Sarge

'Classic' has it's eras. This '76 Colt Lawman didn't have any trouble finding a home with an old cop who cut his puppy teeth on fixed-sight, DA revolvers. And yes I did carry some nickel ones over the years.

Old February 16, 2014, 02:27 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Bob Wright: My goodness; that is one beautiful piece.
Old February 16, 2014, 04:13 PM   #12
badge851

I like a heavier 4" barrel revolver myself.....

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old February 17, 2014, 03:42 PM   #13
dgludwig

In terms of the best looking revolvers ever, my vote(s) go to the Colt Officers Model Match and the Smith & Wesson K-Masterpiece revolvers. Colt Detective Special/Cobra models (pre-shroud) snubbies are classic forms also, imo.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:48 PM   #14
ZVP

It's a toss-up, eh? Though it seems the slimmer barrels have eloquent posters!
As far as balance the slim, long barrels balance about like a HB.
Frankily I am enamored with the HB because of (Believe it or not!) a Umarex (German) made S&W CO2 Pellet revolver! It's made under LICENSE for S&W and mimics the 80 Series .357's. It weighs and opertes just like the .357 underlug models.
It;s called the S&W 586 and has interchangeable barrels 4,6,and 8". It is an exact copy not a toy at all! Totally a quality piece, it even comes in a S&W box!
I know it sounds funny but that's where I got my hang-up for HB's
Yes, I do own a fine Nickeled Model 36 No Dash with a beautifully tapered 1 7/8" bbl! I'm not all that predjuced!
ZVP
Old February 21, 2014, 06:58 PM   #15
Jeff #111

Gymac

Quote:
It's funny how things change. When I was young I could not have cared less for the .38 special. Now it's my favorite revolver caliber. Likewise, the only barrel type I liked was the HB. That too has changed and, while I still like the look of the HB, I prefer the tapered barrel.
I'm right there with you.
Old February 21, 2014, 07:57 PM   #16
bbqbob51

In the immortal words of Clark Griswold Sr., "It's a beaut!"