The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 14, 2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Bowhunter57

Where do you purchase rifle barrels?

I'm interested in the purchase of a barrel in .25 caliber, to switch out my 22" sporter barrel on my .25-06 Stevens. I prefer a tactical or varmint weight and 24" or 26" in length.

Thank you, Bowhunter57
Old July 14, 2013, 07:54 AM   #2
PawPaw

Lots of places. Google is your friend here.

McGowen, Pac-Nor, Criterion, Douglas, Shilen, Brux all make pre-fit barrels for Savage rifles. There are others I've probably forgotten off the top of my head. You'll probably have plenty to think about before you make your order, as there are tons of options to consider.

Heck, even Midway USA sells Savage pre-fits. Go ahead and order another barrel nut, amd make sure that you get a good recoil lug. While you've got the barrel off, you might as well install a flat lug.

Sharp Shooter Supply is an outfit that Savage guys know. He sells Brux and Douglas barrels, and is probably a good place to start.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 14, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
ndking1126

I'm going to switch out one of my barrels and am going with McGowen. You can buy them directly from their website or savage-barrels.com

More expensive, but comes with a better reputation would be a Shilen. You can order from their wesbite.

Look up Jim at Northland Shooters Supply. He sells on savageshooters.com and often has barrels in stock from good manufacturers.
Old July 14, 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
taylorce1

In stock and ready to ship:

Quote:
Shilen 26" - Stainless Select Match - Small Shank - Varmint - 25-06 - 10 Twist - $339.00

Contact Information for NSS:
E-mail - [email protected] (that is Q.com not G.com)
Phone - 763/682-4296 - BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Thanks in advance for everyone's patience.

Jim Briggs
NSS
Old July 14, 2013, 03:55 PM   #5
std7mag

I have been considering a Hart barrel. However I have heard no input from anyone. Good bad or otherwise.
Old July 14, 2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have a McGowen barrel, purchased directly from McGowen. I am very happy with the barrel and their delivery time was faster than the initial estimate.

My only point of concern was that the communication by email was slightly lacking. The guy was very helpful, for the most part, but some of his replies seemed a bit like he was annoyed and he contradicted himself about when the payment had to be made. I was initially told that I had to pre-pay because I was ordering a "Custom" barrel but when I hadn't been charged I called (or emailed, don't remember) to inquire, just to make sure that the ordered was in process. He told me I didn't have to pre-pay because I was ordering a Savage pre-fit barrel.

Overall, I would certainly do business with them again and plan to in the not too distant future.
Old July 14, 2013, 05:50 PM   #7
tahunua001

where do I buy my barrels?
in places that still have the rest of the gun attached
Old July 14, 2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Mobuck

Depends on how much you want to spend. I swapped a Savage factory 30/06 barrel for an A&B sporter 24" from Midway. That A&B barrel gives under 1" groups with at least one factory load and also with my favorite 100 grain handload.
Old July 14, 2013, 11:14 PM   #9
ripnbst

Hart also makes barrels.
Old July 15, 2013, 04:29 AM   #10
Geezerbiker

Kreiger barrels also have a very good reputation and they're one of the few that use cut rather than button rifling...

Tony
Old July 15, 2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Jim Watson

Hart and Krieger are first class barrels, no doubt.
But do they make Savage barrels?
The great attraction of a Savage is that barrel replacement is a reasonable DIY. You can buy the nut wrench and headspace gauge and even a barrel vise for less than what a gunsmith would charge to do a Remington or Winchester.

PacNor, Shilen, and McGowen make ready to run Savage barrels. I think Lothar Walther does, too. SSS turns and threads Douglas blanks to fit.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:59 AM   #12
tobnpr

What quality/accuracy/$$ (all related) are you looking to spend?
If 3/4 minute or so is accurate enough for you, I've been happy with that level of accuracy for the $$ from a Shaw barrel- and good CS from Gun Shack.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 15, 2013, 09:28 AM   #13
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
Hart and Krieger are first class barrels, no doubt.
But do they make Savage barrels?

Yes they do, Krieger lists it as an "accepted receiver" and Hart just list "Standard bolt actions". I don't know a barrel manufacturer that won't thread a barrel for Savage 10/110 receiver. They would be stupid not to as popular as Savage rifles have become.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:37 AM   #14
Jim Watson

From Krieger's www: "PLESE NOTE: Krieger Barrels, Inc. does not offer any pre-fit or drop in barrels for any bolt action rifles."
When they say "accepted" they mean: "When sending a bolt action receiver for fitting, ONLY send your receiver, barrel (if we are copying a contour), bolt, recoil lug, and barrel nut (Savage) as applicable."

From Hart's www: "We do not offer pre-threaded barrels, as we believe that a good barrel is only part of the process of building up a high quality custom rifle."

I guess two of the leading barrel makers are stupid. I could probably find some other dummies, too.
Old July 15, 2013, 09:48 AM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Doesn't say they don't make Savage barrels. It says they don't make them "drop-in" or "pre-fit"... In other words, they won't just mail you a threaded barrel.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:02 PM   #16
taylorce1

Exactly, you never said pre-fit barrels in your post. Plus the OP never stated he wanted a pre-fit barrel. Pre-fits from some places are just easier because you don't have to wait if they have them in stock, but if they aren't the barrel maker you want then you may have to wait.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:35 PM   #17
Jim Watson

That's true, I was imprecise. All the OP said was he wanted a .25 barrel to "switch out" on his Stevens. So he can send his rifle to Hart with $700 and they will put a new barrel on it. Or they will sell him a blank for $315 and the threading, chambering, and fitting can be his problem.

Or, for $345, a Shilen can be ready to screw in and shoot.

My PacNor was that or not much more, in finished state.
A friend had one like it and his next barrel was gunsmith installed a la Remington with a shoulder up against the recoil lug and no nut. No user interchangeability, but maybe a bit more accurate... for a Master class shooter.
Old July 15, 2013, 06:38 PM   #18
old roper

Kreiger other company Criterion Barrels makes Savage barrels
NRA Life Member
Old July 16, 2013, 10:41 AM   #19
stubbicatt

Brunos Shooter Supply

I recommend Bruno Shooter's Supply in Arizona. He carries a selection of barrels and actions to fit YOUR needs. And he knows what he is talking about too. Plus he can install the barrel on your action, and true it up if necessary.