The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2013, 11:32 PM   #76
OkieCruffler

I used a Lee O press (challanger, heck I don't even know) for decades. Finally broke the handle forming 444 marlin brass to 309 JDJ. Called Lee, spoke to an American who asked, "Wow how did you break the handle?" I fessed up to torcing some serious wildcats. She laughed and said she'd get one right out to me. I had it, free of charge, in under 7 days. That works for me. Now I use an ancient RCBS JR3 that I bought for 10 bucks. No problem with it obviously, things built like a tank. I still use the lee for sizing and lubing bullets. I have a Lee Turrett press that I use for 45, 357 and now 9. I also have 3 Mec's on my bench. I have a few sets of Lee dies, one set of RCBS, mostly I use old Lyman. Forster takes care of my trimming needs. For powder measuring I have a Lil' Dandy, a Lyman 55 and now a Hornady electric set up. Heck I even have an old Lee load all that I'm sure I had to have loaded at least 50K rounds on. I can't think of any company I haven't used over the past 40 years. I've had to use customer service on a few, never had less than stellar service from any of them. I guess the point I'm trying to make, if there is one, is that it's hard to go wrong no matter what reloading company you go with.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:12 AM   #77
reloader28

I remember seeing the video on TV of the RCBS presses being stamped out in china. They may have been assembled here, but they were made there.

Since then, I've never spent another dime on RCBS. I try to make sure I dont buy anything those commies make. Its not easy.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:17 AM   #78
jmortimer

They stopped doing it for their presses but still sell made in China products.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:47 PM   #79
BigD_in_FL

Clueless Mortimer?

Not hardly, but thanks for the insult, real nice

Their presses have always been made in CA, their scales have always been made by Ohaus. Are some incidental things like plastic funnels maybe made in China? maybe, and if you think Lee or others don t do the same, it would seem you might be the clueless one.....
Old January 6, 2013, 01:06 PM   #80
jmortimer

^ Back-up your statement. Who uses call centers in India? Who besides RCBS sells Chinese made products?
Old January 6, 2013, 02:31 PM   #81
Xfire68

BigDinFL, you need to have something to backup your statements.

We have contact emails from RCBS that say they do have products made in China and other outsourced countries. They are vague as they don't say what products when asked if their presses were made outside of the US of A?

Show me a Made and Manufactured in America stamp anywhere on a RCBS press made in the last 5-6 years?

I think you will find that a hard order to fill.

Until we start seeing Made in the USA on them they are made elsewhere.

I think some companies try to fool us all by telling us that their products are made in the USA when all they are doing is assembling them in the USA. Not the same as Made in America.

If the parts/materials were only available from other countries I could understand the outsource but that is not the case on most if not all of the presses.
Old January 6, 2013, 03:44 PM   #82
Bart B.

Someone needs to check out RCBS's boxed presses in stores and see what the country's name is in the packaging print that names the country of origin. This one's easy to figure out.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:50 PM   #83
BigD_in_FL

This same subject was asked either here, or on THR, and this response from RCBS' manager was posted. Call them if you don't believe me. As I said, I am talking about their presses, not the funnels, or misc. ,stuff that everyone else also has made in China

Just did a few Google searches, results coming up from TFL, THR, AR15, etc. all have passages and links showing RCBS presses to be made here.

Sorry, using wife's IPad and haven't figured out how to copy and paste.
Do the search yourself, you will see the same threads, and this same rumors about China, and the responses from RCBS.

S unless YOU have proof, stop spreading Internet rumors because you are a Lee fanboy

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; January 6, 2013 at 07:04 PM.