The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2011, 06:29 PM   #1
kraigwy

New American Hogger

That will be me, or will in a couple weeks.

Going to OK to visit my MIL who owns a small farm in eastern OK. She wanted me to thin out the turtles tearing up her fishing pawns. No biggie, I can handle that.

Today she calls and says wild hogs are tearing up her hay and crop lands. Wants me to bring a rifle to thin them out.

Sounds fine to me, except I don't know a damn thing about hog hunting.

Oh well, there is a first time for everything. Maybe I'll get a TV show, "American Hoggers II".
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 25, 2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Hog Buster

Probably nocturnal raiders. Light ‘em up, and light ‘em up. Of course that may not be legal there. Check to find out.

Short of that, sit and wait, right at daylight and right at dark. You can put an AR to good use if there’s a bunch. Or you can improve your reloading skills with a bolt action. A little corn spread around where they’ve been rooting sometimes works wonders also. You’ll be damn lucky if they’re daytime feeders, but how does that go, “Even a blind hog finds an ear of corn once in a while”. Maybe you’ll find a couple of ears.....

As an addendum, squirt a little diesel on a fence post or two, or on a couple of trees. Hogs are always scratching on something that smells, creosote telephone poles and fence posts are a favorite. It might slow them down enough for a shot at a known distance. We've sprayed diesel on corn in traps here and had it work very well.

Last edited by Hog Buster; October 25, 2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old October 25, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
kraigwy

Thanks for the info. I did find out that no license is required and you need land owners permission on private land, that wont be a problem. Also a land owner can get a "night shooting" permit for problem hogs.

Are you saying Spot Lights work????

Guess its a bit different then hunting antelope on open prairie.
Old October 25, 2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Hog Buster

Yep, they work. Surprise them with a spot light and you sometimes can get more than one shot before they didi mow. This is were an AR is handy, spray and pray. If you're lucky several hours later they may show back up and you can do it all over again.

Oh yeah, leave the dead and injured in the field. They're curious and sometimes that gets the best of them and gives you more shots. Nobody ever said hogs were smart, just slick. So just be slicker. Slip in bust a few, slip out quietly and come back later.

If you're quiet going in you can get really close without spooking them at night. This makes for more and better shots. After you shoot just hold fast and don't hoot and holler, sneak away quietly and come back later.

To them a gunshot is kinda like a clap of thunder. If it doesn't hurt them they seem to forget about it quickly. Not so if you make human type noises, they may haul ass from them and stay away.

Full moon nights can be a blast. Get your night eyes and sometimes you don't need a spotlight. Many times you pop several before the bunch realizes what's happening........ Thunder my ass, them's gunshots.

And, don't forget to get your hog tooth..........

Last edited by Hog Buster; October 25, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old October 25, 2011, 08:15 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Red light of any source will spook them less than even the dimmest of white sources...

I used to sneak up to a trap with my leashed catch dog in darkness, then flick on the red led headlight and show pigs (too trap shy to get in my traps) to my bulldog... the pigs didn't know to run until they heard dog runnin' with jingling collar rings and such... by then... the dog usually ain't striking out
But like throwin' a "green" fish in the boat... these hogs were fresh and ready to scrap...

Brent
Old October 25, 2011, 08:17 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
And, don't forget to get your hog tooth..........
Cut it out of the skull... Their cutters and whetters are continuous growth like rodent teeth so you have a bunch of tooth buried in the jaw and skull.

Also, treat them sort of delicate... They will split in 2 halves length wise easily...

Learned that as I drilled one for Junior...
Brent
Old October 25, 2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Hog Buster

Brent

Yeah, we had the same problem with trap shy hogs, but had no dogs. So we got and ol’ gal that worked as a deck hand on the ferry to help us..... Ahh, but it didn’t pan out...... While there’s no doubt she could have whipped them hogs, she couldn’t run fast enough to catch 'em.....
Old October 25, 2011, 09:27 PM   #8
kraigwy

Another question, I have a few rifles to choose from, which would you guys recommend. I'm thinking semi. I'll be using soft point ammo.

FAL
M1 Garand
AR
M1A
M1903a3 ( I can shoot it about as fast as the gas guns.)

Model 70 Featherweight in 270, pretty dern fast also, but can't use stripper clips.

I'll be taking my M-700 V in 223 for the turtles.
Old October 25, 2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Hog Buster

That’s kinda hard to say. If they’re in bunches an semi, if they’re few and far between any one would do.

If it was me I’d take a couple of favorites of each. You don’t need much firepower to knock over hogs, anything that will kill a deer will kill old porky. So take what’s to your liking. Any on your list would be fine including your turtle shooter. I doubt that you’ll need stripper clips. They’ll be long gone before you run out of ammo, unless your a hell of a lot faster than I think you are.......
Old October 25, 2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Goatwhiskers

Yeah, Gene, I think I remember the deckhand you're talking about. A hog wouldn't have had a chance. Goatwhiskers
Old October 25, 2011, 09:57 PM   #11
Hog Buster

Yeah Mike, Ol’ Tons of Fun, gone, but not forgotten.....Hog
Old October 25, 2011, 10:04 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

kraig, if you can invite a few close folks as triggermen... bring plenty of guns for all. as for these PESTS... I am not as worrysome about "ethics", "morals", "clean kill", "ideal shot placement" or even "humane treatment"... You are just trying to reduce numbers hard core... Do what you can to make they die... SOONER OR LATER...
"Texas Heart Shots", "ham blasted", "winged" etc... it all counts and you are not irresponsibly abusing a resource!

There are land owners in texas that refuse to allow a hog dogger to haul out a live hog (some of us do not release them we actually pen them and kill them later...) off their place...

Other ranchers do not want the hunter taking them out dead... If you want rights to run dogs on his place, you better produce and he wants them dropped on paths or head lands so he can see what the buzzards are feeding on to know how good you are doing!

He will replace a dogger in a heartbeat if he thinks you and your dogs are not puttin' enuff rotting pork on the dirt!

Brent
Old October 25, 2011, 10:18 PM   #13
Discern

Be aware the vitals of a wild boar are lower and more forward than most animals. Here is a link with a graphic of the vitals on wild boar.

http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbigg...toshoothog.htm
Old October 25, 2011, 11:16 PM   #14
kraigwy

Any mag restrictions in OK for hogs?
Old October 25, 2011, 11:40 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

while I only know fl regs... in many places, like fla, state "auto loader rifle 5 rounds max for game animals... But hogs, yotes and a few others are not deemed game animals so we are allowed (at least on private lands) to use "any legal weapon"...

Brent
Old October 25, 2011, 11:51 PM   #16
golfballshootr

I have a text to warden I know......but I have not heard of mag capacity restrictions here. We have shot these irritating sons-of-guns with AR's when we know we have a heavy concentration of them, otherwise we try to stay as far off as possible and hit them with heavier calibers. Funny thing is, it is actually getting ridiculously hard to get permission to kill these nasty bass-fecal matters, because landowners are saying, "I have it leased for deer". There won't be much deer with concentrations that they are having in some areas.

Dogs or guns or traps, they are a nuisance and we need rid of them!
Old October 26, 2011, 12:15 AM   #17
okiewita40

Kraigwy, The only mag restrictions for hunting in OK. are for .22 cal centerfires and that will limit you to 7 in the mag. Anything else and you are golden. I am not sure about the spot lighting though on private land. Check out the regs at this link. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/
Old October 26, 2011, 05:19 AM   #18
rickyrick

Just sit and wait near thier favorite location, you will probably only get one if hunting alone. The red spot light works good, I have one that rides on top of the scope. I have had it on pigs for several minutes and they never seems to notice.
Gun hunting is the lowest yield, but, its fun as heck.

Many Texas farmers believe that dog hunters release pigs back, I don't think its true, thats just the common belief.

We give as many trapped pigs away that we can, but we don't let them leave alive, because we want no chance that it can escape....dead pigs don't breed
Old October 26, 2011, 06:59 AM   #19
rickyrick

I wanted to reply some more once I got back in front of the PC.

I have great results with .223. .30 calibers exit on pigs and thats a problem for me... even though I ensure that the area behind the pigs are clear, I kill them in very close proximity to livestock.

If they are a large group or havent been hunted, they may come back in a little while after things settle down. I have seen them come back 30 minutes later. But, in most cases, the hunt is over for the night after the first kill.
They recognize death, and the death of a buddy as danger to them. So, the ones that witness the death most likely wont return. I like to call it pig math: 1-2=me.
Old October 26, 2011, 10:35 PM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Be aware the vitals of a wild boar are lower and more forward than most animals. Here is a link with a graphic of the vitals on wild boar.

http://hunting.about.com/od/deerbigg...toshoothog.htm
People make a big deal out of this, but the organs are only slightly differently located than what you find on other game and not really enough to worry about.