The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 4, 2007, 12:25 AM   #1
rantingredneck

A new 870 in the family........

Ah that feeling....... a new shotgun.......or new to me anyways

I traded a fellow today for one of these:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ess_7-shot.asp

The folding stock model not the double pistol grip one.

What can I say, I like 870's......

I love the way this one handles. My others are all either 28 inch bird guns or 20 inch Slug/HD guns. This one is my first 18 inch barreled gun. The folding stock (Butler Creek, but factory installed by Remington) folds up nice and tight and feels good on the shoulder. We'll see how it shoots once I get clearance from the docs to handle 12 ga recoil again (still recovering from back surgery).

I've been walking around the house giddy as a new parent all evening. I walk to the gun safe to check on it, make sure it's tucked in and comfy. My wife thinks I'm an idiot every time I come home with a new or different gun, because I act sort of like this. It's really only this bad when it's a Remington 870 though. Well I'm almost this bad with a 700, not quite, but close.
Old November 4, 2007, 12:29 AM   #2
CGSteve8718

It all makes so much sense now.

By the way, the link doesn't work.

Now I'm wondering when I can get a sweet deal on something gun related.
Old November 4, 2007, 12:31 AM   #3
rantingredneck

Yeah your stuff came along at just the right time. I was sitting here thinking, OK need new sling and another shell bandolier and poof there was your thread.

Yeah I noticed the link was crapped. I think I got it fixed now though.
Old November 4, 2007, 11:11 AM   #4
lockedcj7

I have the same weakness for Remingtons. If I find an abused or neglected 870, 1100 or 700, I have a hard time leaving it to fend for itself. If the price is right, it almost always comes home with me. I clean them up, oil them and scrub the rust off. Sometimes I sell them at a small profit, sometimes I keep them. I know where there's an 11-87 in need of rescue. The price is $360 firm, which is slightly above my 'must-have-it' threshold. It still has me wondering though...
Old November 6, 2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Trinity-Nine

As I previously posted, I got my slip-on Limbsaver at Walmart. I believe it is a size "small".

Try sanding the inside area that holds the shells. This may help with keep them in place while shooting.

Here's a pic of my 870 with the Butler Creek stock.