The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2005, 07:23 PM   #1
pontiac

fire forming

Can someone explain fire forming too me, I have loaded 25-06 new brass which I ran thru my neck sizer too straighten the bent necks out, now they won't be fireformed for my chamber until I shoot them correct?, if I use the new brass loaded for hunting will they be less accurate if they weren't fireformed first?, and I read on one site if you want to fireform to use a little powder with paper towel wads too keep the powder from coming out and shoot these with no bullets and this will fireform.
Old November 17, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Toney

The brass will swell out and fill the chamber. The paper won't work need bullet

I think fireforming really means converting from one caliber to another. Moving the shoulder like 06 to 280. after you neck the 06 down to 7mm you can load a bullet long enough to jam into the rifling which will hold brass and when you fire it will move the shoulder.

Toney
Old November 17, 2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Coltdriver

Where you run into less than acceptable results fire forming is when you move the shoulder of the cartridge or when you are changing a sloped cartridge to a straight wall.

Since your 25 06 is a necked down 30 06 and you are not really moving the shoulder forward that should not be a problem for you.

Some reloaders put in a light round of powder then fill the case with grits or cream of wheat then plug the top with a wax plug. When you fire it the cartridge will form to your chamber.

Since you have worked the brass a bit you may want to anneal it to soften it up again. Otherwise you may get splitting at the neck.

Once the brass is fire formed just trim it and neck size the cartridge the minimum that you must to properly grab the bullet.

If you fireform to get a more complex change in a cartridge there is a lot more to deal with.
Old November 18, 2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivers

Probably a little playing around with semantics here, but "fireforming" in the context of the question posed is simply neck-sizing brass that's only been fired from a particular bolt rifle. The brass is "fireformed" to that particular rifle's chamber, and future loads only need to be necksized and trimmed. You won't have to do as much trimming if you're necksizing as in f.l. sizing.
Old November 18, 2005, 11:47 AM   #5
20cows

Quote:
The paper won't work need bullet
I've used a wad of paper towel to fire-form 38-55 brass from 30-30 and to form 8mm Gibbs from 30-06. It worked fine. (I used Bullseye for the charge).
Old November 18, 2005, 04:08 PM   #6
blob

Fireformed brass

Yeah that is right about the brass being formed to the chamber of a perticular rifle as it is fired for the first time. Since I started using my Lee collet die man has the work load came down and the groups shrunk. Some people full size the brass the first time but I run the empty brass through the rifle and if it chambers ok I run it through the collet die, trim if necessary, load and shoot.
Also when reforming cases from one caliber to another I will full size the case as it is being reformed, say 30/06 to 7.7 Jap,trim and then fireform it to the chamber in the first shooting.