The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2000, 10:47 AM   #1
mackie

The wife would like a 20 gauge semi auto shotgun for clay bird shooting and bird hunting. She looked at a Remington 11-87 Premeir and a Browning Gold, which one do you think is the better gun? Overall. Iam not familliar with semi autos only pumps.
Old June 12, 2000, 10:55 AM   #2
Jonathan Chenault

deffinately a Remington!

------------------
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me
Phil 4:13
Old June 12, 2000, 12:36 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's a good reason you see very few Remington 1100s on the used market. Nobody wants to let go of them. The 1100 is darn near indestructible,and shoots well. This includes the 20 ga, of course.
Old June 12, 2000, 03:01 PM   #4
Maka

I just bought and shot for the first time my used Remington 1100 20ga I picked up used. I paid about $300 for (1977 with Modified 28" barrel). I think the 11-87 allows you to shoot 2-3/4" and 3" shells, but the 1100 only 2-3/4" so I was told the action is a little different (but will your wife want to shoot 3" shells?). The only think I wouldn't mind would be to have the abiltiy to change the choke with the tubes, like the newer ones have, and maybe a recoil pad. The 1100 I got is in excellent shape and shoots great. I shot clays off a Hoppe mechanical thrower for the first time last Friday. I enjoyed it thoroughly and plan to do it again soon. I hit maybe 35-40% with my new (to me) Rem 1100, and I state again first time with clays (and doubles no less). I was happy with that percentage. The second clay was the difficult one for me. But with multiple shooters if I didn't get it someone else usally would pick it off, so we didn't waste too many clays.
Sorry, I rambled on but I had fun
Tony
Old June 12, 2000, 09:54 PM   #5
Rutgers

Mackie,

I have owned a 12 guage 11-87 for the past 2 years. I used it while working as a guide in training hunting snow geese in Texas where it was exposed to very harsh conditions such as mud (and I mean lots of it!) and salt water. I have also used it extensively in Michigan hunting ducks in very cold temperatures. Over the past 2 years this gun has digested over 10,000 rounds with only 1 malfunction that was easily fixed by cycling the action and putting a fresh round into battery. I have cleaned it once. I have never fired the browning, so I cant say how good of a gun it is. BTW, the recoil of even the heaviest loads in this gun is virtualy non existant. Hope this helps. e-mail me if ya have any questions.

good gunnin

Rutgers

Old June 13, 2000, 10:39 AM   #6
mackie

Thanks for the comments gentlemen.The Remington it will be. Sounds like their autos are just as good as their pumps. Thanks again.
Old June 14, 2000, 04:25 AM   #7
Hal

The thing to keep in mind with Brownings of all sorts. They shoot every bit as good as they look. Remingtons always seem to shoot better than they look.