The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 5, 2000, 11:44 PM   #1
Huck

Hi folks, I've got a Persuader that's not feeding correctly, it shoots well and ejects the spent round, the new one stays in the tube and doesn't get picked up, any solutions?
Old June 6, 2000, 01:15 AM   #2
Nyterunner

First guess is the shell latch (the funny lil thang holding the shells in the tube). If you have a parked gun, you might just need to work the action a lot (break-in) and thoroughly clean the mag tube. When I got mine (parked), I had to clean the mag tube because of binding.Be more descriptive about the problem. how does it feel when you work the action? does it feed with a full tube but not with a partial load? Does it feel 'scratchy' when you operate the shell latch (manual download)? Tell us more.

------------------
I don't CARE about pretty....I just want dangerous.
Old June 6, 2000, 09:28 AM   #3
Jeff, CA

First, make sure you're not babying it - work the action decisively. You won't hurt it. When you open it, make sure you open it completely, and bump it against its limit. It's the bump that pops the next round out of the magazine.

Old June 6, 2000, 02:45 PM   #4
Morgan

My 590 was a bit finicky at first, too, especially with light dummy rounds, and when I didn't firmly work the action (slam that baby!).

I got a new magazine spring from Wolff, and haven't had a problem since. The gal at Wolff mentioned they've been seeing a lot of mag springs going out for newer 590's lately.
Old June 6, 2000, 06:31 PM   #5
Ledbetter

Huck

Welcome to TFL. I live sort of nearby in Santa Barbara. Good to have another CA member.

By the way, overlubrication can also cause feeding problems, or so I've heard. Good luck.