The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 27, 2002, 10:04 PM   #26
JosephBoeckner

actually

Gfrey-

I would read/post to an archery forum here,
but there must be other sites for archey, No?

actually i already talked to Art about this and he said it wasnt really logical because they have to pay for broadband and things of that sort-just post stuff in here in the hunt-i like archery forums and stuff but theirs barely any of them out there and good ones are a WHOLE lot scarcer..
Old April 28, 2002, 12:20 AM   #27
JohnDog

Here are two archery sites I have bookmarked...

http://www.bowsite.com/

and for Colorado....

http://www.coloradobowhunting.org//

Have Fun - JohnDog
Old April 28, 2002, 06:07 PM   #28
JosephBoeckner

ooh :)

i just got back from the Kansas 4-H State Shooting sports match end and i ended up taking first in blackpowder-3rd in olympic-and qualified to go to the National Shooting Sports Competition in NM this year, its gonna be sweet, ive been thinking about getting a new bow for a while and this is a good opportunity to get it, im thinking 45-50 pound pull and maybe a PSE Coyote-around the 200 dollar range or so (I cant afford the Bob Lee yet haha)
Old April 30, 2002, 10:50 AM   #29
Betty

I've always wanted to try archery - but I think peewny little me can't even pull the string back! Tried once with a compound bow at a pawn shop and I felt like I was going to rip my arm off.

What do you recommend for starters - I've got a really old fiberglass recurve bow that's been in the closet for years (I don't even remember where it came from). I guess I can buy a string to put on it and start learning with that?
Old April 30, 2002, 04:33 PM   #30
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Start light and work up. The working of the muscles of the drawing arm and shoulder is pretty much unlike almost all other. Well, maybe using a handsaw, a lot...

Try a plain-vanilla simple bow of 30 or 40 pounds. Work with it until it seems very easy. Move up 10 or 20 pounds more. All this practice and building up of the muscles will help your accuracy, as well.

, Art
Old April 30, 2002, 10:01 PM   #31
JosephBoeckner

hm

for a beginner something u can practice with alot-not alot of pull-and is accurate enough to work, and fun to shoot.(those old fiberglass are hard to keep the arrow on the rest and u can lodge the vane in ur hand if ur not carefull keeping it on the rest) u can find a new or used recurve bow for not that much at all-20-30 bucks +