The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 17, 2015, 07:58 PM   #1
Bowhunter57

Mosin-Nagant bore measurement?

Are all Mosin-Nagant rifles have a bore measurement of .311"?

I would like to purchase one of these rifles, but would prefer a .308" bore diameter for a better bullet selection with which to reload. My plans are to scope this rifle and use it for hunting.

Perhaps another question would be: Can .308" bullets be fired accurately, from a .311" bore?

Your knowledge and experience is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57
Old January 17, 2015, 08:42 PM   #2
deerslayer303

Nope they all vary slightly the only way to go is to buy one with a good bore and then slug the bore. Then taylor the load and bullet to that rifle.
Old January 17, 2015, 08:47 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I recall reading on the Internet, so it must be so, that Finnish MNs have tighter barrels and would be more likely to shoot .308" bullets well.
But since the speculators started breaking down the Mosins into discrete makes, models, types, and variations, the prices have been going up, especially for the more refined versions... like the Finns.
Old January 17, 2015, 09:09 PM   #4
hartcreek

It isn't any problem making the bullet you need. I cast em so can you.
Old January 17, 2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Bowhunter57

I sold a M39 to a guy that I work with and he still owns it. It has all matching Sako markings. While I owned it, I shot some S&B 180gr. ammo through it, at 100 yards and would produce 1 1/2" groups. However, I never measured the bore to know for certain, the actual diameter.

Here in Ohio, coyotes and groundhogs would be the only hunting use for this rifle. A lighter weight bullet selection would be the best choice to reload for these varmints.

Bowhunter57
Old January 17, 2015, 10:13 PM   #6
skizzums

finnish sako's have .308 barrels. not sure of any other kind. some have been converted to .308 after seizure. just google around for .308 myosin's. most are .311 to .313. I have a vinn m91 that measure .3095, so there is a lot of varitions, just keep looking and find what you'll want. do't know of any Russians that would be .308
Old January 17, 2015, 10:13 PM   #7
tobnpr

Soviet/Russian barrels were .311.

All Finn barrels were .3095, except the M28 and it's iterations like the M28/76 target rifle- which was .308. Those are the few and only Finns with a .308 bore.

"Bore slugging" is much ado about nothing, IMO. So what? If the bore is worn and it's .314- what can you do about it? Cast bullets at 2600 fps?

Shooting .308 bullets from a .311 groove barrel will most likely result in lousy accuracy. There will be no gas seal, and the bullet will wobble it's way down (and out of ) the bore.
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; January 17, 2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old January 17, 2015, 11:06 PM   #8
skizzums

well, the reason for slugging your bore is....if your have a 3095 like I do, you can use .303 bullets which perfect. if your have a .311, you can use 7.62x39 with good effect. if you are stuck with a .312, you can use a Woodleigh 7.7 jacketed. and you will find out if your unlucky enough to have a 3.13 or greater, which you will know if you need to start investigating swaging your own, or using gas-checked and powder-coated or hitek coated cast bullets where you can push em to 2500 fps, not ideal, but may be your best option.. there is a lot of value to slug a bore if your goal is the smallest groups possible.

but long story short, you are most like not going to be able to utilize the wide array of 308-309 bullets for your mosin. but there are bullets available and quite possibly the ideal size you need will be able to be found, unless you end up having one of the large and eaten up bores.
Old January 18, 2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Gunplummer

I have had good results using .308 bullets in .311 barrels @ 100 yards. .300 Savage up Arisaka barrels, 7.62x39 (Reloaded with .308 bullets) up an Arisaka barrel. Sometimes the .308 bullets shoot better than the .311 bullets. If it is cut rifling, it does not seem to matter that much. Many a rifle shoots like crap no matter what you use.
Old January 18, 2015, 03:20 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Yes. 7.62 x 54R uses a .311" bullet. .308" jacketed bullets are too small.
"...A lighter weight bullet selection..." 123 or 125 grains light enough? Hornady(.310". Heavier .312" bullets) and Speer(.311") make 123's. Sierra(.311") makes a 125 grain Prohunter. Really only matters if you plan on keeping the coyote hides. I've shot groundhogs with 220 Silvertips(a very impressive result on a ground hog) out of my M1 and neither the rifle nor chuck seemed to care.
"..."Bore slugging" is much ado about nothing..." Applies to Lee-Enfields but not much else. Lee-Enfield barrels vary a lot more than any other rifle.
Old January 18, 2015, 09:50 PM   #11
Bowhunter57

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Really only matters if you plan on keeping the coyote hides. I've shot groundhogs with 220 Silvertips(a very impressive result on a ground hog) out of my M1 and neither the rifle nor chuck seemed to care.
T. O'Heir,
Thank you, for the bullet size information. This info has renewed my interest in purchasing another Mosin-Nagant and possibly the M39 off of my coworker, if he'll sell it.

I'm not keeping the coyotes, just killing them to get them off of the planet. Basically, showing them the same mercy they're showing the whitetail fawns...none.

Bowhunter57
Old January 21, 2015, 12:13 AM   #12
chiefr

Moisin bores can vary significantly. If accuracy is you goal, slug your bore and shoot matching bullets.
Old January 21, 2015, 12:36 AM   #13
jimbob86

American made Westinghouse/Remington M1891 (manufactured 1915-1918) do best with .308 bullets .... very bad things will happen if you shoot a couple of boxes of steel jacketed .311" surplus through them. No, it won't blow up the gun ..... but it it may take more than 20 rounds to hit a folgers' coffee can from 50 yards.... and when you do get lucky enough to hit it, the bullet won't make a nice round hole ..... as like as not, it'll be a bit more bullet shaped ..... and if you look at the bore, rifling will be a ghost of it's former self ..... D'OHHHHHHH!

I saw a Remington M1891 at the local BBS ...... in great shape, for 4X what a Tula Hex was going for .....
Old January 21, 2015, 11:13 AM   #14
hdbiker

Mosin bore

My mint 1946 Russion # 44 slugs .312 and has a mint bore.hdbiker
Old January 22, 2015, 09:46 AM   #15
chiefr

^^
Counter bore will not help if the rifling at the muzzle is worn. You can do the bullet in the muzzle test to check.
It is always upsetting to have a nice rifle with a worn bore. Never been a fan of hanging such a rifle on the wall as I am a shooter.

Faced a similar problem with a 98K in great shape, but the barrel was a sewer pipe. I found a brand new in the white Yugo barrel and dimensions and length is exact and plan to have the barrel swapped. I will retain the original barrel and will go with the rifle if I decide to part with it.

I have seen Mosin barrels or barreled actions for sale in the past and a swap could be an option.
Old January 24, 2015, 07:07 AM   #16
tobnpr

Quote:
I have seen Mosin barrels or barreled actions for sale in the past and a swap could be an option.
This never makes sense financially, when a MN with a great bore can be purchased for about $150 give or take...while they're not $79 anymore, still plenty cheap enough to make re-barreling a non-starter.

The barrels are a BIATCH to get off- I've seen guys with five foot "cheater-bar" pipes on the action wrenches. A "new" barrel will never clock properly when screwed on and the extractor will need to be re-cut, or the shoulder set back or chamber reamed, or....
www.biggorillagunworks.com