The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 19, 2008, 02:04 AM   #1
hillbillyshooter

Remington action adjustment

I have a remington 710 in 30-06 and the action leaves a little to be desired. I think that the bolt is coated with this graphite substance for oiless lubrication. The idea didn't produce the best results. Another problem is that it seems hard to lock the bolt down and into the ready position. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to fix this problem? I want to be able to fix this myself. I'm sure some might want to tell me to get a different gun, but it shoots accurate as I need for the area I hunt.
Old November 19, 2008, 04:22 AM   #2
sadsack

Hillbilly: I notice the same problem on a customer's 770. Most of the drag on his was caused by the bolt shroud and cocking piece. You probably could lap the threads and contact surfaces, but it might be the best to leave it be.
Some might tell you to get another rifle, but the 710/770 are not all that bad. There are a few things I don't like about them, but they're serviceble and inexpensive.
The owner of the 770 killed a 10 point with his, and that buck was as dead as any shot with a $1,000+ rifle.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:22 AM   #3
Alleykat

Buy a mediocre hacksaw....! (You won't need a good one.) Local postal clerk, who knows that I do a little armoring, asked me the same question about his 710. I advised him to change the "1" to another "0".
Old November 19, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
hillbillyshooter

Polishing Compound

I saw on another post about using polishing compound and polishing the bolt. Do you think that this might help? Cause if it could take off that graphite coating and get down to the metal then in theory this should stop the binding problem.
Old November 19, 2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Scorch

It's not graphite coating on the bolt, it's Nylon coating. Yes, you could lap it down, but that might cause other problems.
Old November 19, 2008, 01:20 PM   #6
hillbillyshooter

What kind of problems?

Is there any way I could test it before I do the whole thing to know if there are going to be problems? What are these problems that you are considering? Would it cause problems with sealing the barrel?
Old November 19, 2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Scorch

The 710 action has a Nylon sleeve inside it to reduce friction, same reason the bolt is Nylon coated. Some solvents can make the surface of the sleeve sticky. Nylon to Nylon contact slides well, Nylon to metal does not always slide well.

I would recommend using some BreakFree on the bolt rather than mess with the rifle. Once you start modifying things, it's all downhill. Or sell the rifle and buy something else if you don't like it.
Old November 20, 2008, 02:19 PM   #8
hillbillyshooter

Scorch,
Are you recommending using the bore cleaner or the lube? B/c I have recently read that some of the oils will cause the coating on the bold to swell.
Old November 20, 2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
have recently read that some of the oils will cause the coating on the bold to swell.
Solvents cause the plastic to soften and swell. If you feel you need to lube your bolt and do not want to use BreakFree, find a dry lube.