The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2002, 04:08 PM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Action Lube Plus

You can order it from Brownells. It’s called “Action Lube Plus” (ALP from now on).

It’s a synthetic-based, semi-solid, molybdenum disulfide grease. Or in layman’s terms, it’s some really slick stuff. It also has some bold claims on the Brownells website: “Action Lube Plus is very concentrated; only a small amount applied to the face of sears and triggers will dramatically decrease pull weight as well as smooth actual trigger feel. On high friction points like bolt raceways and lever mechanisms, just a dab of Action Lube Plus completely eliminates wear and helps assure reliable functioning. A very light coating on the outside of your guns will keep fingerprints neutralized and protect expensive bluing from rust and moisture damage that can occur during storage.”

Okay, there it is and there is some hype on it. Let’s see how it works.

The instructions say to remove all traces of oil, grease, and carbon fouling. Then it explains that you use a Q-tip to paint the friction points sparingly as a little goes a long way.

Here is what I did… I cycle the slide of my CZ-97 several times to get the feel for it… Noting the trigger pull and the feel of the break. I note the feel of the slide and how it cycles. Feels pretty good with it’s application of Tetra Gun Grease. No complaints about it, but it could be better.

I take down the gun and clean it out carefully… making sure all traces of lube are outta there. Then a get out a Q-tip and carefully and sparingly paint the ALP along every point where there is wear marks and all other surfaces that move against other surfaces. I’m careful to dab some into the trigger parts as well.

While putting it back together I already notice some of the parts are going together a little easier. The barrel bushing screws in with a creamy feel. The slide, uh… slides on very smoothly. Everything went on just fine.

Right off the bat with the first rack of the slide I can feel that there is a difference. The slide cycles very smoothly… much much smoother than Tetra. Much smoother than Breakfree CLP. The trigger? It actually felt LIGHTER. Not to mention crisper. Holy cow. This stuff performed AS ADVERTISED. I’m impressed. In fact, this stuff has amazed me.

We shall have to continue to use this for awhile and see how it works long term. Check back here for further comment as to continued uses and observations.

Used this product yesterday in 2 of my guns at the 3-Gun match at "The Farm". I had no weapon problems to speak of really. I had two failures to feed in the CZ97 on the first stage, firing left handed. I think I was limp wristing the gun there. After that, I had no problems. None. The gun ran smooth and clean. It was wonderful. The AR had no problems either, and I had only applied the ALP to the bolt carrier rails. The Nova... I wish I had used it in the Nova. I didn't... but wish I did. I took the Nova apart cleaning it all, and threw in some ALP to the friction points... HUGE difference. Huge. This Nova is now one of the smoothest I've ever handled. Seriously. It even improved the trigger pull on my old Remington 514.

http://www.brownells.com/Product/pro...2&CategoryID=0
Old July 4, 2002, 06:40 PM   #2
butchb243

Thanks for the report This sounds like the love I've been looking for all my life.

Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands!

Save your confederate money boys the south is gonna rise again!
Old July 5, 2002, 04:17 PM   #3
HankL

I've been using ALP for a little over a year and I'm hooked.
When I checked the trigger pull of a C&S trigger pull kit using conventional gun oil it measured the advertised 4.5#. After cleaning off the oil and applying ALP the trigger pull measured 4.25#. I know that a quarter # is not much but I figure that it's that much less wear and tear on my hammer and sear.