The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 14, 2001, 06:24 AM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

When I Post, I get Sent to the Login Screen and Lose my Post

Unlike the previous version of the software, we can no longer use the Back button to recover our newly created post when a problem occurs. This is not desirable...however, it's not in our control.

A few Members have complained that they compose a post and, when they hit Submit, are sent to a login page and their post lost. We believe the problem is in the cookie timeout.

It's actually quite simple. All cookies must be set to time out after a given interval or they would never update. The interval for TFL is 15 minutes. Therefore, if you're composing a post and take more than 15 minutes to do so, you run the risk of timing out and your post not being recorded.

A couple of solutions:
1) When you're composing a long post, create an activity on TFL every 10 minutes or so. Even hitting Back/Forward should restart the clock.

2) Play with the "Browse Board with Cookies" feature in User CP/Options. These have all been forced to "Yes" with the upgrade. If you click "No" for this feature, your session is run thru a Session Hash and is no longer dependant on cookies at all. This may resolve the problem.
Rich
Old June 14, 2001, 07:28 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Another suggestion to those who are experiencing this, and other intermitten problems and lose posts...

Before submitting, highlight the text of your message, right click on your mouse, and COPY your message.

This copies the post to the clipboard (memory).

If your post DOES go belly up, you've got it saved in memory.

I learned this the HARD way an unrelated board when it started randomly eating posts.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 14, 2001, 09:28 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Good point, Mike.
Personally, after three years of being able to do the "Back" thing, this is taking some real getting used to.....like electronic ignition in cars. I can't hardly hot wire 'em anymore.

Progress....feh!
Rich
Old June 16, 2001, 03:24 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Or, running a duplicate window will insure the post. Duplicate window also usefull for eliminating double taps when the net is slow. Check to see if post went through before submitting again.

Sam