The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 22, 2001, 04:08 AM   #1
DougB

I plan to carry a Kel-tec P40 on hiking, fishing, and canoing. I need to get a light, durable, secure holster for it. I don't care about concealability. I'm thinking of one of these new fangeled kydex holsters like a Fobus, but I'm concerned about the gun coming lose if I take a fall in the river, walk through heavy brush, etc. I'm also considering one of the inexpensive nylon holsters (Uncle Mike's, Bianchi, etc.) that have a thumb break. Do any of the kydex holsters come with a thumb break? Do they hold the gun securely without it? I've never used one, but most look like they only cover the front of the slide and trigger guard - not much protection for the gun.

Also, how would a a paddle holster be for this use? It would be handy to be able to take it on and off easily if it is secure. Also, it might not be so important to wear a substantial belt with this type, correct? I've tended to favor pancake-style holsters up to now.

A secure pouch to carry a couple of spare magazines would also be needed. I would still consider leather, but I think some synthetic would be lighter, more durable, and cheaper - and I wouldn't have to worry about ruining a nice holster by getting it wet or scratched up.

Your recommendations for the Kel-tec P40/Pll (I have both) will be appreciated.

Doug

Old February 22, 2001, 08:46 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Just acquired a Fobus mag pouch for 1911 and EAA Witness. Very secure.
Old February 22, 2001, 10:26 AM   #3
Doc Hudson

Doug,

Take a look at the holster Bianchi developed for the M-9.

It is a ballistic nylon holster so it will be noisy in the brush, but it is fully ambidexterous, and offers a full flap to protect you gun and for added security from loss. It will fit a wide variety of pistols and revolvers, your gun might fit it, I don't know for sure.

BTW, a stout belt is a must for safe and secure carry of any handgun in any holster. With the Bianchi G-I Holster, you can use a G-I pistol belt for quick on and off.

Any full flap design will offer greater protection for you gun than any open top design. They are slower to get the gun into action though. If you anticipate more stumbles, and falls in the creek than encounters with bear, or marijuana farmers, give a flap holster serious consideration.

Doc Hudson
Old February 22, 2001, 10:38 AM   #4
ajacobs

The bianchi flap is my preferred feild carry method, but It is desisned for a full size handgun although I think they make one for 4 in barrels now. I think protecting the gun is an important consideration and in the feild may be the only time I would consider Waist pack carry.
Old February 22, 2001, 08:55 PM   #5
Cosmoline

Uncle Mike's
Old February 23, 2001, 02:29 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Moving to Gear & Accessories Forum.
Old February 23, 2001, 12:02 PM   #7
Curuzer

This hip pouch ( http://www.desantisholster.com/images/styleR72.jpg ) may be a little on the "cheesy" side, but I would get it for hiking/hunting/canoeing because:

1) It is NOT a fanny pack
2) Belt loop lets you attach it to another bag or backpack
3) Very sturdy construction keeps rain, mud, etc. off your gun
4) If it fits a USPc (as in picture) it should easily fit any midsize gun (plus some extra magazines in the outside pocket)

I just got one of these ( http://www.desantisholster.com/images/styleN30.jpg ) for hiking with my mousegun for the same reasons. Carries my mousegun and an extra magazine in a very sturdy/grime proof pack for easy access, and I can carry it on my belt or clipped onto my backpack.

Just my .02