The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2015, 12:55 PM   #1
zanemoseley

Any good "how to's" on Hornady PTX setup on LNL AP?

I started the setup on my new LNL AP last night but the Hornady videos don't show the setup of the PTX system with the new linkage stop. They have one video but its pretty brief.

I get you use the adjustable linkage to install the amount of bell on the case mouth. But do I start with the linkage wide open and get the meter stroke set up by adjusting the height of the powder measure then start tightening the linkage until I get the pressure needed for the PTX?

Also if I wanted to get setup for easy caliber changes on the powder drop what would I change out? Would I change the PTX, quick change powder die, adjustable linkage and metering insert.
Old February 6, 2015, 06:06 AM   #2
cryogenic419

I just run a case through the press like you normally would, then check and see how much flare is on the case. If its a long way off I adjust the measure by screwing it further in or out to get it in the ballpark, fine tune with the stop screws.

Caliber changes, just remove the measure from the case activated part, change out the ptx and rotor if necessary. Drop the new ptx in and rotor if necessary and reassemble. You can minimize how many parts need changed if you stick with doing all rounds that require the same size rotor and then switching out rather than back and forth. Every caliber change is going to need to have the powder measure adjusted for flare. A few times of doing this and you can have it done in under 5 minutes.
Old February 6, 2015, 11:46 AM   #3
zanemoseley

I think I've got it figured out. I'm going to try and finish setting up my press tonight and see if it will crank out some shells.

For caliber changes I'm going to try and buy as many parts as I can to reduce any change over adjustments. I think I should be able to buy extra PTX linkage stops to keep them dedicated to each caliber, they're only $8 each. If I get them with the PTX dies, extra powder dies, powder measure inserts and shell plates I think caliber changes will be a snap.
Old February 6, 2015, 04:16 PM   #4
AKhog

I use the Hornady 4 die sets that come with the separate expander die, that way I don't have to worry about adjusting the measure except for case length. I also don't have to buy the caliber specific PTX powder inserts.