The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 22, 2014, 02:43 PM   #1
gedenke

Barrel options...another which one thread.

I know this has been beat to death in the past, sorry. But I need some up-to-date info here.

I need to put a new barrel on GF's AR-15. Long story short, PSA barrel is junk...out of spec chamber, looked like crap. In PSA's defense, it was on clearance (really CHEAP) and they offered to exchange it, but I didn't want to wait because they were sold out. Plus I want a better barrel.

So...price/decent quality being a deciding factor (< $200 & good reputation), I've narrowed it down to either Del-Ton, or CMMG. I want a 16" 5.56, lightweight, mid length, and would like chrome lined. Has to be RELIABLE. I'm also thinking about Radical Firearms, but don't know much about them, so I'm a little sketchy on that. I'm leaning towards Del-Ton because it's lightweight and I've used them before.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_16_Mid_...m?1=1&CartID=1
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-55DC70A
https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical_..._p/rf1617m.htm

Your thoughts? Best bang for the buck?
Old December 23, 2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Jimro

The most bang for your buck would be the Radical Arms barrel. 4150 and nitrided with a 1:7 twist is a lot of features for the price point. In terms of longevity nitriding is quite good, and cheaper on manufacturers than hard chrome. I doubt you would see any difference in reliability between the two finishes.

Just know that the picture shown isn't anything like the M4A1 SOCOM barrels I've handled, despite being advertised as SOCOM contour.

Jimro
Old December 23, 2014, 10:30 AM   #3
gedenke

Thanks Jimro, I may give it at try. The price is good, but you get what you pay for, right? I learned that with the PSA discount barrel.

How is the accuracy on those barrels? I don't need tiny groups on this gun, but 2-3" @ 100 scoped off a rest and average (non match) ammo would be about the max I'd want. Plus I shoot almost exclusively 55gr reloads, so I may not need 1-7 twist.

ETA: Did a little research and it seems the weight difference between the standard (gov/socom) and the lightweight is about 5 oz. That's a lot in gun talk, but is it really noticeable?

Last edited by gedenke; December 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM.