The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 23, 2014, 09:36 PM   #1
schill32

replacement barrel

Need Help.
I'm looking to buy a new drop in barrel for my percussion 50cal Thompson Hawkins with a 1-66 twist. I know that Green Mountain made great barrels and the are no longer in business and I cant seem to find one so what would be a comparable barrel or a better one to replace it with. NOS will do if there's any around and what should I expect to pay?
Thanks Steve
Old November 24, 2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Old Stony

I still see some Green Mountain barrels floating around for sale occasionally on ebay. I think I would just watch and catch one like that, as I think the only other option would be to have something custom fitted. Those Green Mountain barrels do shoot good with prb's.
Old November 24, 2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Captchee

GM is still in business . they just dont make much in the way of muzzle loading barrels right now . frankly who can blame them
175.00 for a 42 inch barrel when they can get that for 2-3 barrels for the same price ?
I just paid 175.00 for a 17 inch barrel from GM for my Cetme