The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 23, 2014, 06:53 AM   #1
Mike / Tx

Which cold blueing....

Ok ok I realize there ae a ton of post on this where touching up this or that with one or another product is mentioned. I'm not looking to touch up, but to more or less refinish my "pig popper" SKS.

I don't have the facilities nor the room to do powder coating nor do I want to spend that sort of money to haul it all in pieces to some shop to have it done, IF they would take it in the first place.

The insides are in grat condition, but the outside needs to be redone.

Would one of you more experienced folks recommend which one of the cold blueing products you have used that would hold up fairly well.

This rifle is a haul out in whatever weather, drag through whatever brush or muddy bottom, simply to go after feral hogs. Nothing more nothing less. It's just a beater in the full definition of the term. Thing is it shoots so darned well with just about any soft point ammo I really don't want to scrap it simply due to it rusting to pieces. Right now it only has very minor surface rust mainly from the humidity of sitting out in the barn. Like I said, it is just one of those beater rifles.

Worst case I will just get out the Krylon and go for it, but would rather reblue it instead.

Thanks
Old November 23, 2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Hawg

Brownells Oxpho-Blue but trying to blue the whole thing with cold blue is going to be disappointing.
Old November 23, 2014, 08:58 AM   #3
psalm7

Pig Popper . I'm thinking paint it .
Old November 23, 2014, 09:52 AM   #4
tobnpr

I second the Oxpho-Blue, I buy it by the quart...

It's not ideal for an entire rifle, but I just "restored"- completely tore down, bead blasted, and cold-blued every part before re-assembly of an Israeli K98K . It's not as durable, nor as even in appearance as a hot blue would be for sure, but who's got a hot tank?

If bead-blasting isn't an option to remove rust and prep the surface be sure to use a rust remover first. Blueing won't remove rust...

Rubbing it down with fine steel wool while the blueing is on helps even out the finish, as does an additional application where needed in my experience.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 23, 2014, 10:32 AM   #5
g.willikers

It's been my experience that the version of cold blue is less important than the prepping and application.
True for any refinishing, come to think.
Clean, degrease, remove all rust, clean some more.
Apply the bluing smoothly and in thin layers, as much as needed, allowing thorough drying between applications.
And thick enough to smooth without showing thin spots.
Maybe covering with a suitable clear coat to protect and preserve it.
With patience and good technique it will turn out very acceptable.
Old November 23, 2014, 11:00 AM   #6
jimbob86

Quote:
Pig Popper . I'm thinking paint it .
If you have a lot of pigs, better use a high temp paint .....
Old November 23, 2014, 11:37 AM   #7
psalm7

Lots of good spray on finishes for firearms made now days . Alot of the painted AR crowd use regular spray paint and touch it up from time to time .
Old November 23, 2014, 02:23 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Express blue.

Degrease.
Heat.
Apply
Boil
Card.

Repeat 3-4 times.
Apply 3:1 oil and let cure overnight.
Old November 23, 2014, 03:03 PM   #9
Clark

I agree with Gary.
When cold bluing, "degrease" and "repeat" are the key words. If it gets darker each time, keep degreasing and repeating.

If all else fails, try a different cold blue. Different steels like different cold blues. I have not proved that with a controlled experiment, but after many experiences, I still believe it.... high quality folklore.

I was getting terrible results once, and then I figured out the barrel was stainless.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 23, 2014, 04:43 PM   #10
Doyle

There are a couple of really good Youtube videos of a guy that uses Oxpho Blue - sometimes to do whole guns. He's got the technique down to where it gives good results. Look it up and you'll see. I'm thinking of trying it with an old beater .22 that I would like to bring back to life.
Old November 23, 2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Express blue is not the same as cold blue. Express is a form of rust bluing.
Cold blue is a thin plating of tarnished copper that wears off very easily.
If I were going to refinish a utility gun such as yours, I would just clean, degrease, and spray paint it. As long as the finish remains intact, the gun can't rust. If the finish is compromised, just give it a fresh squirt of paint.
Old November 24, 2014, 12:40 AM   #12
gunnut69

oxphoblue is a cold Parkerizing chemical and its very wear resistant. Also it doesn't require as much cleaning as it will work thru a bit of oil.
Old November 24, 2014, 02:31 AM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Oxpho Blue is not a Parkerizing compound. It's a cold bluing compound.
Old November 24, 2014, 04:49 AM   #14
Mike / Tx

I appreciate all of the advice. When I mentioned "cold blue" I simply meant I didn't want to try and set up any type of tanks or what not.

There was an old fellow who would do projects like this who had all of the tanks set up and ready. He did awesome work for little cash. Unfortunately time passes and so do folks.

I'll check into the mentioned product. Right now it is simply standing in the closet, so no rush. I have a couple of hundred or so loads to put together before I even start on it. Just figured I would start getting things ready.

Thanks again.
Old November 25, 2014, 12:16 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It's been my experience that the version of cold blue is less important than the prepping and application.
True for any refinishing, come to think.
I agree.

I never had much luck with the crappy Birchwood Casey Perma-Blue. Sometimes, I couldn't get it to take, at all. But the last thing that I cold blued taught me that I wasn't degreasing well enough.

I needed to blue the raw metal an AR-15 A2 sight that I cut down and reshaped as a "lo-pro" gas block. Perma-Blue was the only thing I could find in my chemical supply, at the time, so I gave it another whirl. That time, however, I was much more thorough in degreasing the part, and I actually followed the instructions to a 'T' (imagine that ).

After degreasing, the bluing took like nothing I had ever seen before. And it took just 3 coats for the bluing almost perfectly matched the dark parkerizing on the rest of the gas block.

I'm not recommending Perma-Blue in any way. I don't like it. I just couldn't find my Oxpho Blue at the time.
I just wanted to re-affirm that prep work is more important than chemical formula.
Old November 25, 2014, 01:12 AM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

I've had good luck with Oxpho Blue. As far as cold blues go, it's definitely far and away the best I've tried both for ease of application and for durability.

It's not an ideal option for refinishing an entire gun. I've done it and the results weren't bad, but I still wouldn't really recommend it for that application.
Quote:
Oxpho Blue is not a Parkerizing compound. It's a cold bluing compound.
Brownell's states that it creates a "phosphate-like" surface under the blue finish. If true, that would lend some amount of credence to the claim that it's a "cold Parkerizing" compound.

I have no way of verifying that, but I can say that it is completely unlike any other cold blue I have tried. It can be applied with very good effect even if the surface has not been degreased and if one has the patience to polish the surface with 0000 steel wool after each application and to apply several "coats" an attractive finish can be achieved.

The only major problem I've had with it is that some rust preventive products (specifically Beeman MP5 oil) will cause the resulting finish to turn cloudy and brownish. It still provides good rust protection and durability in that state but it doesn't look very nice.
Old November 25, 2014, 06:49 PM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

Express bluing is not cold blue. It's an old fashion blue finish that doesn't require an expensive set up like hot salt bluing operations. Depending on the polish, express blue can yield outstanding results.
Old November 25, 2014, 11:21 PM   #18
flakpanzer11

I love the oxpho blue but realistically for a beat around
Rifle i just use rustoleum high heat black get it right at walmart for
6 bucks a can i just prep it quick and hit it witj a hair dryer
So it doesnt run in case i get over zealous
Old November 26, 2014, 12:03 AM   #19
Onward Allusion

+1 for Oxpho-Blue. Use steel wool to apply. Wear gloves. I can't prove it but I think applying the solution with steel wool creates a harden surface. Been using it for the last 5 years after tinkering with a few different brands.
Old November 26, 2014, 12:11 AM   #20
BillM

I've used Brownell's Teflon/Moly and Baking Lacquer finishes on beater
guns with OK success. Abrasive blast, warm up the part and spray it on,
oven cure. (do big parts in the kitchen oven when the wife isn't home!)

If you are willing to pay a bit more, find the local Cerakote guy.
Old November 26, 2014, 09:14 AM   #21
Jim Watson

FLG #1 uses Oxpho Blue for touchup on sight cuts, mag well bevels etc. and it does fine.

FLG #2 uses Oxpho Blue for whole guns. His method is not the same as what Brownells recommends for large areas, he developed his own. They look quite good although I have not put a lot of wear on any one item to see if it is as durable as hot or rust blue.
Old November 28, 2014, 04:29 PM   #22
wachtelhund1

I did my first rust bluing last winter. It was really easy and came out very good. I have rust blued two more guns since,
Old November 28, 2014, 07:25 PM   #23
WV_gunner

My Marlin 55 was looking rough when I bought it. I wiped it down good with bore solevant and oiled it real good. The majority of the surface rust is gone now. It's very far from new looking but doesn't look like it was left outside now.

Have you considered rust browning? Sounds like your gun already has the first step started for you? I've been wanting to try it for awhile.
Old November 29, 2014, 08:00 PM   #24
Onward Allusion

I recently picked up this H&R Bicycle Hammerless in 32 S&W. Attached are before and after pics from using Oxpho-Blue - 1 application and 1 session of buffing with 0000 steel wool - TODAY.

I haven't spent the time on additional applications but it will look many times better after a few more sessions of heating on low with heat gun, applying, & buffing with 0000. The after picture doesn't do it justice. The camera is much harsher than the naked eye. If I get around to it I will post after pics of the completed project.

BTW, dang shame they don't make these anymore in modern materials. Something in 32 ACP or 327 Mag would be lovely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before (1).jpg (61.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg After (1).jpg (55.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Onward Allusion; November 29, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old November 30, 2014, 09:35 AM   #25
std7mag

If it were me, I'd Duracoat the darn thing, and be done with it.