The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Tex S

Oregon Trail Bullets

I'll preface this thread by saying that I'm not a caster, but seriously thinking about getting into it.

I love shooting lead. I like it in my 45acp and it is awesome in my 45-70. I have bought cast bullets made by many different folks, and have noticed a lot of variation in quality amongst the different manufacturers.

The best bullets I have shot (by far, in my opinion), are the Oregon Trail LaserCast bullets. They seem to be very hard, and the lines and grooves on the bullets are always super sharp. This benefits of this sharpness can easily be on paper targets when using 200g LSWC's... it looks like somebody took a paper punch to the target. Perfectly clean, round holes are the norm.

Bullets that I have tested that lack the sharpness don't produce the same results. I have also has issues with crappy lube that falls off and makes one heck of a mess in my dies.

So, one might ask, "Why don't ya just keep buying the LaserCast?''

I would reply, "They are too expensive!"

Here is my question... Is it possible to make bullets that are the same quality as LaserCast using tools available to the home caster, or does Oregon Trail use a special mix of ingredients and tools to achieve their fantastic bullets? If a special blend or tool is used, can it be replicated at home? Does anybody know how hard these bullets are, and what type of tool is used to measure hardness?
Old December 16, 2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

Quote:
So, one might ask, "Why don't ya just keep buying the LaserCast?''

I would reply, "They are too expensive!"

Here is my question... Is it possible to make bullets that are the same quality as LaserCast using tools available to the home caster, or does Oregon Trail use a special mix of ingredients and tools to achieve their fantastic bullets? If a special blend or tool is used, can it be replicated at home? Does anybody know how hard these bullets are, and what type of tool is used to measure hardness?
They sure are expensive..

Several years back I managed to catch a sale on them at Midway with a decent enough price I picked up somewhere around 500ct boxes for several calibers. When they came in I had close to 2500'ish bullets rolling around and out of the corner of the shipping box. I even helped the UPS driver pick them up out of the back of his truck and along the edge of my drive where they fell out as he brought them to the door. I took pics and sent them to Midway along with a not so ice letter. The next morning I received a call from their customer service manger that they would be shipping out my replacement order ASAP and it should arrive by the end of business the next day. They shipped the entire order of bullets a second time, but this time they were packaged to the point I don't think King Kong could have messed them up.

Since then I have gradually been shooting them up a little here and there, but would never pay what they want for them now.

All that said, yes you can easily pour your own up with sharp shoulders and as hard as you want. However getting your hands on the same alloy isn't gonna happen. You can get close with some blends, and possibly with something from Rotometals. If you are simply looking to punch clean holes in targets though you can pretty easily do that using a softer alloy which is much easier and less expensive.

If you look in some of the buying and selling sections on this and other forums you will see folks selling Wheel Weights as well as Range Lead. Either of these will pour up some VERY nice wadcutter bullets. The secrete in getting them hard, if you want that, is either water dropping them from the mold into a bucket of cold water or heat treating them in an oven. How hard they get is a matter of how much antimony is in the base alloy. Usually straight clip on wheel weights will get you in the 20'ish BHN ball park with a simple water drop, but you can oven heat treat them and get even harder. Throw in some type metal and you can really get things up on the scale.

Take a look over here, Article Index and you will find plenty to keep you busy learning about casting bullets. If that isn't enough, head on over to the Castboolits site and browse around there as well.

I pour up wadcutters which are only around the 9 - 12 BHN range that cut nice clean holes in my targets. The hardness is WAY over rated on most bullets. The fit is what counts the most followed by the lube. Most of mine are still tumble lubed with a blend called 45/45/10 which can be brewed up at home or more easily purchased from Glen at White Label Lubes.

Hope this helps.
Old December 19, 2013, 07:57 AM   #3
Peter M. Eick

Your story about the bullets reminds me of one of my Midway orders. I still occasionally find 9mm Rem 115 JHP's in my sidewalk now 5 years later. I had bullets everywhere and the UPS guy said he was sweeping them out for a long time. He even would drop off piles of bullets for a while after wards with dust and dirt that he had swept out of his truck.

Like you Midway just shipped me a whole nother order full.

Regarding Lasercast. I love them and yes they are expensive. I rate them as some of the nicest lead bullets you can get and they are just one step below jacketed in price and quality. The key I feel is using them where that quality is needed. 357 Maximum comes to mind. 45acp target loads come to mind. For the rest or general blasting I buy from MBC. They do a great job, are cheaper and the management is very easy to work with. Quality product for probably 90% of my shooting.

I also am interested in casting but for me, I decided no casting until I get the kids out of the house and I retire. Both are close enough that I can wait. Now is a time to learn and read.