The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
floydster

Lee WC

Anyone using the Lee 148 gr. WC in their 38 spl., if so how do you like it
Thanks for input.

Floydster
Old November 13, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2
zxcvbob

I use them, and I like them in both .38 Special and .357 Magnum, but just last night I figured out that I was loading them too hot with Red Dot powder and that's why my target shooting scores have been so bad lately. I thought it was just me, and I'm sure "just me" is part of the problem, but it turns out bad ammo is the significant part. I'm getting very large groups, with a few flyers that miss the entire target at 50 feet.

I had a speedloader in my pocket full of 158 grain SWCHP's with 4.5 grains of Unique, so I tried those. Without changing anything my group shrunk to under 3 inches with no flyers. I went back to the WC's and they were all over the place again.

I'm sure I can get back to an accurate load with the WC's, but I'm going to switch to a different bullet for a while (and Bullseye powder.) I will miss the perfectly crisp big holes they cut in the paper.
Old November 13, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
gwpercle

Been casting and shooting that bullet in 38 special for years, sized to .358 and loaded over 3.5 grains of Bullseye with a standard primer and a light crimp in the top crimp groove is just the ticket in both my 38 special revolvers.
If you plan on buying a mould, Lee has redesigned thier 2 cavity moulds and they cast really nice finished bullets, the mould cavities have a smoother sharper cut and they throw nice looking bullets. Midway USA has ( had ) them for twenty bucks...you will like them , I do.

Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; November 14, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old November 13, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Chaz88

Quote:
sized to .358 and loaded
I have never tried tumble lubing and am thinking about it. Do the lee molds work good for that or is sizing and lubing still required?

I have also seen that lee has a sizer die that goes in a press and uses tumble lubing first. Anyone tried that?

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 13, 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Valornor

In my experience, Lee molds are fine to tumble lube right out of the mold. However I found that my cast loads cycled more reliably if I ran them through the sizer. This was for a .401 cal 145grn truncated boolit. I was using WW as my alloy. Depending on your alloy your results my vary.

You're suppose to lube your bullets before you use the sizing die. However the sizing die leaves a nice shiny ring around the bullet where it came in contact with the die. I generally will lube it again after sizing. I've only used lee sizing die and tumble lube and have found they work great as long as you are mindful of the fit in the barrel and don't drive them harder then the alloy will with stand. I guess that's true for most cast bullets sized with fancy lubing and sizers.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 13, 2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Chaz88

I have always used a sizer lubricator. What kind of problems do you need to look for when just casting and lubing?

Sorry if this is a highjack of the thread.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 14, 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
gwpercle

The problem with casting , lubing and shooting is the size of the bullet. If lucky, the as cast size is exactly right , lube and shoot is fine. But more than likely the bullet might be larger than you want. The alloy used can also affect the as cast diameter. This is when you have to size. Proper fit of bullet, throat and bore are just one of the many aspects of getting cast bullets to perform correctly.
Most people who ,don't want to do the sizer thing, get a Lee tumble lube mould and try it out. If not satisfactory, then look at sizing. The low cost of Lee double cavity moulds lets you try out several different designs without breaking the bank.
I personally do not care for tumble lubing, or the tumble lube design of bullets. I'm old school. I did try them but didn't care for the results. Some people love the TL design and get good results. ( I think the bullets are ugly , that's just me) . I use a Lyman 450 lubri/sizer. the 148 gr Lee wadcutter mould I use is the 358-148-WC, not the tumble lube design.

Floydster...which Lee wadcutter mould were you refering to the standard WC design or the tumble lube design?

Gary
Old November 14, 2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Wallyl

Yes indeed, both the TL and the regular versions. Have a vintage Lyman .38 Cal WC mold as well...the Lee cast bullets are just as good. One needs to run the mold "hot" for the optimum fill...as I use WW and range retrieved lead.

Only a dedicated and "serious" target shooter would notice any significant difference in accuarcy between a Lee cast WC and the others. A .38 Spl loaded with them makes an excellent plinking load.
Old November 15, 2013, 10:47 AM   #9
floydster

gwpercle, I am getting the standard WC design and using my 45 Lyman lube/sizer--should be fun
I have used a lot of the tumble lube bullets in variuos calibers using the Lee sizing dies, however I like the lube/sizer bullets more, just old school I guess.

Have had pretty good luck with the tumble lube method as far as leading goes using both regular lube grooves and the tumble lube design bullets.

Contrary to other beliefs, I use a heavy coat of Alox for the final coat,very minimal leading in my 9mm, 38 Super, 38 Spl. 357 mag,40S&W and my 44 mag.
All Cal. bullets have been sized to the bore--very important.

Smokeyloads