The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 8, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1
hlds54

Trigger on Springfield XD?

Was wondering what the trigger is like on the XD series of pistols. I have never held/fired one and no one I know owns one. Is it like the trigger on a glock? Does it have alot of untake and creep? If someone could shed some light it would be appreciated.
Old August 8, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2
rmorgan9718

XD Trigger

I've got about 1500 rounds thru an XD45, and I think the 'feel' depends a lot on the size and cofiguartion of your hand/fingers. I have very large palms, and fat/short fingers.

To me, the trigger has a small amount of take-up (about 1/8"), then a fairly short, but firm (about +3#'s) of pull, and then about 3/16" of travel after the sear releases. Took me about 100 rounds to get used to it, now it feels very natural.

I'm not the best offhand pistol shot, but with reloads, I can average under 2" at 25 yards. Don't shoot it off a rest, didn't buy it as a target pistol.

As with every semi- out there, pick one up, try to find someone who will let you run a clip of ammo down it, and then make up your mind. I thought the Sig 226 was going to be my savior, but once I fired one, it just didn't 'fit' my hand for a comfortable and natural grip.

just my $0.02 worth

Rick
Old August 8, 2012, 06:47 PM   #3
hlds54

rick~ thanks this is really helpful info, and you answered my question totally.
Old August 8, 2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Justice06RR

I've owned an XD40 and I have to say it was one of my favorite pistols. Rmorgan described the trigger exactly, and I will agree to what he said. In my opinion the trigger feels better than a Glock trigger if you fired a Glock before.

The only thing you will need to get used to is the grip safety which has to be depressed to rack the slide. At first it was kind of weird, but as you get used to the pistol it is fairly easy to operate.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:27 PM   #5
LeadFistExpress

I think RMorgan described it well also. I have fired at least 1000 rounds through my XD40 and I still love the way it shoots. I never had any period of adjustment with the trigger. I think I was able to stage it, so to speak, the first day I shot it. You can just kind of tell when the slack it removed and it is about to release.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6
joseywales44

The trigger is between 3.5 & 5 lbs. It is MUCH smoother than a Glock out of the box. It is a striker fired weapon and shares the characteristics of the Glock. The BIG difference is that the trigger of the Glock somewhat cocks the striker, on the XD, the trigger pull basically just lifts a stop and releases the striker. Ergo, smoother, lighter, shorter. I like it better.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Mosin44az

To me the biggest advantage of the XD trigger over the Glock is the design of the trigger safety.

When you depress the XD trigger, the safety matches the contour of the rest of the trigger and "disappears" into the trigger face.

On the Glock, it always sticks out, and this causes the Glock trigger to "sting" on hotter loads and over longer range sessions. Not sure why Glock has never bothered to fix this.

It has always seemed to me that XD was targeted at Glock and the design was intended to fix a number of Glock ergonomic flaws, including this one with the trigger safety.

The stroke seems a bit longer on the XD, and with more of a pivot, but it's real easy to shoot accurately, almost boringly accurate 15 yards and in.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:32 AM   #8
jlwatts3

I have an XDsc 9mm and I love the trigger, stacks slightly and smoothly with a crisp break for a striker-fired pistol.
Old August 9, 2012, 07:48 PM   #9
hlds54

Thanks for all the info guys
Old August 9, 2012, 08:00 PM   #10
jmr40

A Glock feels like a heavy, but crisp single action pull. The XD feels more like a very smooth light double action trigger pull. Which is odd because the XD is a true single action while the Glock is classified as double action only.

I suppose it is what you are used to but I shoot the Glock trigger much better. The trigger breaks at 5.5 lbs and is extremely consistent from shot to shot and with every Glock I've shot felt exactly the same. You can buy Glocks with 3.5 or 8 lb triggers if you wish, but I shoot the standard 5.5 lb. trigger best. I can put about 4 lbs of pressure on the trigger, make any final sight adjustments and then give it that last 1.5 lbs of pull for very accurate fire. With the XD's I've owned and shot I could never figure out exactly when the trigger would break.
Old August 9, 2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
A Glock feels like a heavy, but crisp single action pull. The XD feels more like a very smooth light double action trigger pull. Which is odd because the XD is a true single action while the Glock is classified as double action only.
Being that striker fired guns are hard to firmly classify as either SA or DA, the XD isn't a "true" SA. It's as close to SA as you can get and should be identified as such in general speaking. But "true" isn't the case.

Quote:
Is it like the trigger on a glock?
Yes and no. Yes in the regard as the typical striker fired firearm. Yes, as both have a consistent feel fire after fire. No, because Glocks have a more noticeable feel in their reset. In my experience, Glocks have more "spring" in their feel upon takeup. The safety lever on the triggers are basically identical.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Tags
gun , pistol , springfield armory , trigger