The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2012, 06:17 AM   #1
hounddawg

Full length resize- how often

I have some Lapua .308 cases that are coming up on their 5th time through my rifle and so far have done only neck sized other than before the first loading. I am annealed after shooting the 4th time but have yet to decap or size any of those until I get through shooting the entire batch just to keep them all on the same cycle. So far they are chambering just fine and are showing no stress signs. Just wondering when or if I ever need to do another full length resize. There has hardly been any case growth and they are all running about 2.002 - 2.004. I have not even trimmed them as of yet but think I will test out my new trimmer when it gets in to get them all down to the same length.
Old January 2, 2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Roughedge

As long as they fit your gun you should be fine . If you have a case gauge check it with it and if it fits it's okay. I have some I have necked sized 8 to 10 time and it still looks good.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
larzb93

i usually don't do a full length unless i want to run the brass in a different rifle. there is no reason the case shouldn't fit like a glove.
Old January 4, 2012, 02:22 PM   #4
hounddawg

thats what I thought, thanks guys for the reassurance.
Old January 4, 2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They will eventually get tight and need to be fully resized. A Redding body die in conjuction with Lee collet neck dies is one of the best ways (if not the best) to get it done. This allows the shoulder to be moved just .001-.002 so it will fit again without over working the mouth (and possibly getting less concentric necks than the collet die will provide) with a conventional full-length die.