The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 3, 2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Civil War Life

SASS revolver

I am thinking of getting a revolver for SASS use. If I get a 357 mag, can I shoot 38 special in it and will it shoot accurately?

Thanks
Old August 3, 2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Hawg

Yeah but you need two and a lever action rifle that shoots pistol cartridges and a shotgun, either a SXS or an 87 lever action or a 97 pump.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Jbar4Ranch

Or a single shot.

SASS 47015
Old August 4, 2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Tanker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil War Life
I am thinking of getting a revolver for SASS use. If I get a 357 mag, can I shoot 38 special in it and will it shoot accurately?
The .357 and .38 fire the same size bullet (normally .358 for lead), so to properly answer your question, Yes, you can fire .38 special in a .357 SASS pistol (or any other type pistol for that matter) and achieve the same sort of accuracy. In fact, most CAS shooters use .38's in their .357's because they are cheaper to load.

A couple of caveats:

1. Yes, you'll need more guns to compete in SASS (2 pistols, 1 lever action rifle in pistol caliber, and a shotgun). Check out the SASS Handbook for lots of good information here http://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/201...ok-17-2011.pdf.

2. With regards to shooting .38's in a .357, there's tons of threads and advice regarding feeding issues of .38's in lever action rifles. In a nutshell (but please read the other information available), the lever action rifles like a longer overall length (OAL) than is normal for .38's in order to feed properly. The generally accepted length to function effectively is 1.50", but this can vary from rifle to rifle. There are no "real" issues with firing the standard length .38 (or the longer length) in a .357 pistol. I use the quotations on real because there can be (and this has been argued as well) some issues with additional fouling when using the longer lengthened .38's in the pistol. There's tons of stuff out there on this topic, so do some research.

Hope this has provided some help.....and welcome to SASS!
Old August 4, 2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Civil War Life

I am trying to decide if I want to use .38 special or 45 Long Colt for my revolvers and rifle. Don't know enough about the sport yet to make an educated decision. The guns are fairly expensive and I want to make the right choice and not regret it later. Any opinions from those who have some experience would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old August 4, 2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Noz

Go to shoots before you buy. Look at the guns. Ask questions. Ask to shoot an individuals guns. Most of us are pleased that you want to shoot our guns and will happily allow it.
Way too many of us have bought what looked good on paper and wound up with guns we either didn't like or were unsuitable for the game.
Leather can be significant-cross draw, straight hang, buscadero etc.
There are brands to avoid. (Taurus)
There are styles of guns that because of their design will fit you better than other styles.
Even barrel length can be an issue.
the 38/45 debate has raged for years in SASS and the best answer is for you to suit yourself. The 38s are cheaper to feed, the 45s are more traditional. Neither circumstance is significant.
A matched set of pistols and rifle(all 38 or all 45) makes sense when you come to reloading, which you will if you stay in the game.
Old August 6, 2011, 12:19 AM   #7
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz
The 38s are cheaper to feed, the 45s are more traditional.
I beg to differ; If authenticity is the goal, either will work just fine, as the .38 spl is so close to the .38 Long Colt, introduced in 1875, as to be a non-issue. The .38 spl is .013" longer, about the thickness of three $1 bills, and the .38 Long Colt used a .361" bullet as opposed to the .358" bullet of the .38 spl. If you absolutely have to have the correct head stamp, .38 Long Colt brass is available from Starline.

An identical gun in .357 is going to be heavier than one in .45, and I personally find the weight distribution to give a better feel in the larger bores; 38-40, 44-40, and 45 Colt.

SASS 47015
Old August 6, 2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Crunchy Frog

I've been shooting SASS here in South Kakalaki for about a year and a half now. It is a blast and you won't meet a nicer group of folks to shoot with.

I'm in full agreement with Noz. Don't feel like you have to buy anything before attending a match. You will learn more in one hour of talking to cowboy shooters and comparing different guns back-to-back that you will in five years of reading. We always beg people not to buy stuff before they come out and shoot a couple of matches with borrowed guns. We see too many people that buy guns that don't work out and then have to buy again. As you said, the guns are too expensive for that. Instead, try out several choices, decide what will work for you, save up (if necessary) and buy the good stuff. "Buy once, cry once."

If you have not yet located a local club, here is a link to SASS-affiliated clubs in Virginia:http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_l...e=VirginiaCall or email the contact person for the club near you and tell them you are interested in seeing what it's all about. I bet they'll take you in hand and welcome you to a match. Some clubs have "new shooter clinics" or "practice days" as well.

In my area most people are shooting .38 Special, mostly out of .357 Magnum-chambered guns. No problems at all and the .38 is lots less expensive to "feed". The really fast shooters like the lower recoil. You'll probably hear a lot of advice to go .38 (I did). But after trying several guns you decide you LIKE .45 Colt, go for it. A friend of mine decided to shoot the .45 and I have to say there's something charming about it. Also, if you ever decided to shoot Wild Bunch matches the .45 caliber rifle is legal whereas .38 is not.

If you decide to to with .45 here's a screamin' deal if you don't insist of a fancy finish on your revolvers:http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=245520982

Send me a PM if you want more info. Happy to help.
Old August 6, 2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Painted Filly

Go to shoots before you decide. Try different guns until you find what is best for you. You will find if you go to shoots people will let you try their guns so that you can decide.

Where are you located?

Painted Filly