The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 8, 2017, 05:46 PM   #1
chrisintexas

copper plated lead bullets vs lead bullets

would copper plated lead bullets leave much/some copper residue in a semi-automatic? how are they compared to lead bullets? thanks
Old October 8, 2017, 06:33 PM   #2
BBarn

I find the residue from the copper plated much like copper jacketed. I'm running the plated ones well below their recommended maximum velocity.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:50 PM   #3
chrisintexas

I am talking about .22lr rim fire copper plated bullets. So they will leave a copper residue? and I will need copper solvent to clean?
Old October 8, 2017, 11:11 PM   #4
JoeSixpack

Ya they leave a copper streak like copper jacketed bullets.
I don't know how they compare with lead because I've always ran copper plated 22lr

I don't bother getting streaks out.. a lot of scrubbing and hoppes 9 will do the trick.. but they also make stronger cleaners out there designed specifically to get copper out.

In my experience it doesn't really build up and if it does affect accuracy Im not a good enough shot to notice.

I run a couple patches soaked with eezox what ever does not come out can stay for all I care, I don't scrub my bores anymore.
Old October 8, 2017, 11:31 PM   #5
chrisintexas

Then is it ok to use bronze brush to clean the barrel when using solvents that also clean copper?
Old October 8, 2017, 11:43 PM   #6
JoeSixpack

It will attack the copper in the brush.. Hoppes 9 ain't to bad it does attack copper but is fairly mild.. I never used any of the purpose copper cleaners.
You'll know if it's attacking the copper cause you'll get green with a clean patch.

For those you might wanna use a stainless tornado brush or go at it with a nylon.

Only thing I do these days is run a few patches of eezox down them with a jag.
Usually this gets the carbon out, I hardly ever shoot lead so never really had a problem with lead fouling.

The copper streaks I just ignore.

When I first got into guns I use to spend a lot of time scrubbing the bores clean.. went thru a lot of supplies, a lot of time, I guess I got lazy but I just don't care about streaks anymore and Im convinced all the scrubbing I was doing with brushes probably did more harm then good.

If you have a precision rifle there might very well be some benefit to getting the streaks out but for every day shooters.. nah, don't see any benefit unless you just get pride from it or something.
Old October 9, 2017, 06:34 PM   #7
rodfac

Quote:
I am talking about .22lr rim fire copper plated bullets. So they will leave a copper residue? and I will need copper solvent to clean?
It's a .22 you're talking about...and NO, you don't need to worry about copper plating your bore. The wax lube on all .22's does not need to be cleaned from the bore...ever....I shot .22 small bore in college and we cleaned our rifles by wiping off the bolt face so as not to affect the headspacing. That's it. You'll do more damage by far cleaning a .22 barrel due to cleaning rod abrasion at the muzzle than will ever happen as a result of firing debris/powder fouling. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.