The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2015, 10:19 PM   #1
bluetopper

Smooth Round Nose Jacketed 44?

Does anyone make a smooth round nose jacketed 44 handgun bullet of any weight?
Old February 4, 2015, 10:27 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

Not that I know of. The round nose bullets for .429" (or rather .430") tend to be lead slugs designed for 44 Special.

If there is such an animal; we'll both find out right here Someone will chime in with the answer.
Old February 4, 2015, 10:49 PM   #3
bluetopper

I want to do some long range silhouette type shooting with a 10" Freedom Arms scoped revolver and grouping is what I'm after. The vast majority of 44 bullets are flat nose or large cavity hollow points and I'm skeptical how they would fare.
Old February 4, 2015, 11:07 PM   #4
Tinbucket

Round nosed jacketed .44 bullets

I have some loads, in .357 and 10mm that use a sillouete bullet.
They are plated and have a rounded nose and flat center
I appologize I haven't unpacked most things since our move so I don't have the brand. Look for plated bullets.
Both are very accurate, for me.
Old February 4, 2015, 11:39 PM   #5
hartcreek

What is "long distance to you" because a trunicated cone bullet likely would work.
Old February 5, 2015, 12:12 AM   #6
bluetopper

100 yards plus.
Old February 5, 2015, 12:59 AM   #7
Nick_C_S

Hornady used to make a jacketed silhouette that was great for the application - pointy bullet with only a little flat point on the end. I used to shoot silhouettes at 100 yards with them. Good bullet. It is discontinued, I believe - like just about every other bullet I used to like.
Old February 5, 2015, 03:55 AM   #8
hartcreek

Make em yourself. Lee has a 240 grain trunicated cone mold that you could have modified to do what you want.
Old February 5, 2015, 05:24 AM   #9
Mike / Tx

You might give some of the ones over here a look see, Beartooth Bullets

If your going for top end loads you might use the GC versions, but I have also driven plain base up into the 1450+ fps range as well. That said I made sure they were sized to my barrel and lubed appropriately.

I doubt you will have issues with any listed over there as they are usually made for running hard. Just don't try to make plinking loads with them s the alloy is probably too hard for that.

I would look at the ones in the 250gr range and up either in the SCW (Keith) or maybe the LFN version. Your going to want both weight and velocity, but you should be able to get plenty using up to around a 300gr weight. I watched the Ruger shooting team shoot some VERY impressive groups at 200yds with the Super Redhawk when it first hit the market. They were using the 300gr Sierra bullets, but those might be tough if not impossible to find.

One last thing, you might give BTB a call before you order any of the LFN type bullets to make sure they will fit your cylinder. Some have had issues with the longer bullets in the shorter length cylinders on the FA revolvers.
Old February 5, 2015, 06:35 AM   #10
Salmoneye

Quote:
I want to do some long range silhouette type shooting with a 10" Freedom Arms scoped revolver and grouping is what I'm after. The vast majority of 44 bullets are flat nose or large cavity hollow points and I'm skeptical how they would fare.
Penn 240gr Truncated Cone

https://www.pennbullets.com/44/44240tc.html
Old February 5, 2015, 02:06 PM   #11
Snyper

The Hornady "Flex-Tip" is pointed
http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=56232
Old February 5, 2015, 02:54 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

I think that 0.430" bullet is meant for 444 Marlin. It's long enough that it might require using a 44 Special case to prevent the tip sticking out of the cylinder and blocking rotation. The FTX for 45-70 requires shorter-than-standard cases to avoid jamming a 45-70 lever gun carrier. But it's a good idea if it can be made to fit a case so as not to interfere with the cylinder and still leave room for enough powder. I'd call Hornady and ask them the length and how far from the tip the two crimp cannelures are, so you can estimate powder space and fit within your cylinder's length. Having your gun swage it down a thousandth won't hurt anything. That's all within normal operating procedures. The only question is whether you have a ballistic advantage with a lower BC bullets that is lighter and lets a little more powder be used, or if the FTX winds up winning that contest. That may change with range.

The other bullet I have used and found accurate, if you can find any, is Sierra's 250 grain silhouette bullet #8615. The slight flat on the end lets it seat out far enough to accommodate more powder without being too long for a standard cylinder. A long cylinder, though, usually makes that moot.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 5, 2015, 03:47 PM   #13
stagpanther

265 gr interlock on left and 265 gr FTX on right. The interlock comes very close to being a TC in my opinion. The FTX actually has a very strong polymer tip but it requires case trimming and in many cases a special seating plug--I'll probably end up using mine for BP sabbots : )

My experience is that the 240 gr xtp when driven hot with w296/h 110 is the most accurate bullet I've shot at 100 (16" carbine)--but I develop loads for hunting and not so much precision long range shooting

Old February 5, 2015, 04:41 PM   #14
madmo44mag

I have loaded 240 JHP and then pressed "play-dou" in the cavity and allowed it to dry out.
The weight is about 1.0 - 1.5 gr added.
Worked very well.