The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Mike / Tx

.30 Cal Molds...

Ok I might be dragging out a few to see how they do in a couple of 03A3's I have as well as through my .308, but I'm not sure even what I have stashed away.

As such, I was just wondering what you all might have on hand that you have gotten good results with and what loads you might have been working with.

I'm sure I have a couple of the Ranch Dog molds, as well as possibly one Lyman, and I just got in one from MP that I haven't even taken out of the box yet.

I figure since I have some H4895 as well as plenty of 2400 and some other decent powders I might as well start at least pouring up a few to see how the old girls are going to like them. I'm not looking for blistering speeds, just something that would be capable of quickly working a hog or deer over out to around 200yds. In looking around it appears I should be able to get somewhere in the 2000'ish feet per second range with some loads, possibly a bit more depending on how these barrel do.

So what ya got and how well does it work for ya, lets here it.
Old October 16, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

How 'bout some irony?

I have picked up a few second-hand 150-170 gr .30 caliber molds for .30-06 and .30 WCF use (and 7.7 Jap and 7.62x54R, if they drop big enough), over the last couple years, but haven't cast a single bullet with them.

Rather... I've been loading 115 gr .312/.313 (handgun) bullets in everything that will let them chamber (various NOE 314316 molds with combinations of FP/HP/PB/GC).
They've all done great, particularly in 7.62x54R and .30 WCF.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:48 PM   #3
oldandslow

mike,

It sounds like you're up for a trip to www.castboolits.gunloads.com. They have a number of cast boolit subforums including Hunting with Cast Boolits. Great people and a lot of good info.

I cast and load for 30-30, 30-06 and .223/556. Important points are to use some tin (I use 2%) to get good mold fillout and toughness so you're not getting boolit fragmenting when hitting pigs. It's also tough to get the boolits much faster than 2000 ft/second and have them maintain accuracy and toughness (which is different from hardness achieved through adding antimony and heat treating). Much of this depends on your boolit alloy and barrel twist rate. Larry Gibson has a good sticky in the Castboolits subforum titled "RPM threshold..." which says what velocities you can get from specific twist rates.

I'm sure others will chime in with more thoughts and then you can do some experimenting and see what works for your rifles. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old October 16, 2013, 11:10 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I pay no attention to such things as "RPM Thresholds". It can be interesting reading, but nearly everything on the subject in the cast bullet world is based on anecdotal evidence, more than mathematics or science.

I used to think it was good information, but my own experiences threw everything I had read right out the window.

If I'm really pushing the limits, or working outside the box with something, then I might do some stability calculations. But, that's just to make sure it will stabilize at lower velocities for the given twist rate. I never worry about pushing something too hard. The bullet will skid on in the rifling, or start causing massive amounts of leading, before I push it hard enough to be "over-stabilized".

I've hit in excess of 2,600 fps with several cast bullets, without issue - most of them generally considered "handgun" bullets, even.

If a bullet becomes inaccurate due to increased velocity and pressure, it has internal flaws, the base is getting damaged by the increased pressure during firing, the design/alloy is too fragile, or the alloy is too soft (and the bullets are skidding/skipping in the rifling).
Old October 17, 2013, 04:30 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

FrankenMauser,

Well that is me somewhat as well. I have had the molds for over a year or so and not even poured anything through them yet. I have been playing with my handguns and having way too much fun with them. I figured that I have poured enough up with them to last me through the season and then some so I needed to maybe work on one of the rifles now.

Might have to do a swap with you on some of those 115's to try in my Blackhawk in 30 Carbine. That will be a while though, I need to get this other stuff at least rolling along.

oldandslow,

Yep I am a regular viewer over on CB's, and I even throw up a post once in a while. I am familiar with Larry's as well as a few others pertinent information on the finer details of higher velocity loads.

Personally I feel I should be able to easily attain 30-30 velocities in them all which is really all I am looking for. Worst case being the barrels might not be up to par finish wise on the bores. I doubt I would strip my pop's rifle down and rebarrel it, but maybe one of the others. I have three to choose from as well as 4 brand new match 4 groove barrels still in cosmoline wrapped paper in the closet.

Besides even if they don't get where I want them with cast, I have plenty of the others to keep them happy for a LONG time to come.

Keep them coming...