The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 14, 2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Pilot

Usually five or six, depending on what I want to do rifle, pistol or both.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:05 PM   #27
Guv

Two hours to clean a pistol seems a little bit much to me, unless you're inspecting it and just generally admiring it (the machining, fit, finish and such).
Old January 14, 2013, 01:07 PM   #28
Jo6pak

Usually just 2 or 3. But when we have our semi-annual "big shoots" that number goes up to 5-7. Everyone likes shooting the other guys guns, so we usually bring whatever the other guys don't have.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:25 PM   #29
j3ffr0

Three or four. I usually just hit them with the bore snake afterwards.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:47 PM   #30
aarondhgraham

If it's just me shooting,,,

I will take one of my rimfire/centerfire pairs,,,
More often than not, it's my S&W Model 15/18 pair.

If I'm taking someone new shooting,,,
I usually take one handgun in all my cartridges.

22, 38, 380, 9mm, .357 Mag, & .44 Mag.

If I'm taking someone who has been out plinking with me before,,,
I'll usually just take a .22 handgun for each of us,,,
Quite often that's my two Ruger 22/45's.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 14, 2013, 02:49 PM   #31
spacecoast

I try to keep it at 3 or fewer centerfire guns, plus one or two .22s that don't require complete breakdown to clean.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:07 PM   #32
geetarman

I will usually take two or three handguns and one rifle.

I like to clean them afterward. I fieldstip the centerfires and use a brass bush and Hoppes on the bore and a boresnake to finish up.

I use a Qtip to grease the rails. I just use a little Rem oil on the Buckmark. I do not field strip that gun.

I don't go overboard cleaning them.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 14, 2013, 03:10 PM   #33
The Great Mahoo

Anywhere from 1-5, I'd say. I've had a few occasions when I take more than that, but there has to be special cause. Generally I don't shoot too many rounds when I go. Too damned expensive these days
Old January 14, 2013, 03:37 PM   #34
D.W. Drang

Guv said:
Quote:
Two hours to clean a pistol seems a little bit much to me, unless you're inspecting it and just generally admiring it (the machining, fit, finish and such).
Two hours to clean an M16 was the minimum when Drill Sergeant "10 snipers in the US Army and the other 9 are lousy shots!" Dailey was inspecting.
OTOH, he freely admitted that he never cleaned his competition guns.
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old January 14, 2013, 04:03 PM   #35
BigJimP

2 or 3 handguns usually....

and I clean them after every range trip ...but a good thorough field strip - clean and lube doesn't take me over half an hour per gun ...a little less with a revolver usually. I don't strip them down to a bare frame - until after about 6,000 rds ...( so about every 6 months or so usually ).
Old January 14, 2013, 04:56 PM   #36
Dragline45

Usually 3. My carry gun, a .22 pistol, and a .22 rifle. If I am bringing new shooters to the range I'll sometimes bring them all to let them shoot a little bit of everything.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:57 PM   #37
Deja vu

1 or 2 most of the time.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 14, 2013, 07:14 PM   #38
buck460XVR

Quote:
A thermos of coffee and 7 or more guns. I have no time limit and most times make a day of it.

Same here. Whether I use our private range at the oldest son's land or my Sportsman's Club range, I set up and will spend a whole morning or afternoon. Sometimes at the Club range I have to take a break cause someone else shows up, but most times I have it to myself. All of my handguns and all of my handgun caliber carbines are stainless. They get cleaned thoroughly when they get dirty, altho I wipe them down before putting them away for the day. Blued guns pretty much the same except they get a light coat of oil before they go back in the safe. But then my guns are shooters and wouldn't get shot much if I had to spend more time cleaning them than shooting them.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:31 PM   #39
old bear

I usually take just one revolver, on a rare occasion I will take two.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:33 PM   #40
m&p45acp10+1

It depends on if I have help carrying everything.

Just me going for a few or more hours. 2 or 3 guns. As well as ammo for them.

Some one to help me carry the ammo, and guns up to about 8 or 9. (once for a family gathering I took 38 of them, never will do that again.) Usual load is 4 or 5. Carrying all the ammo for them, and guns is a big chore. As is cleaning them all afterwards as well.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:25 PM   #41
SgtLumpy

Like Jim and Bossman, I spend at least half a day at the range. Several guns. If some guy with a big magnum and muzzle brake settles in next to me, I take a break and watch others. I never offer unsolicited advice. I do watch what others are doing with their targets and gear. Sometimes pick up some good ideas that I might incorporate.

At least two long guns, several pistols. Lots of .22.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old January 14, 2013, 10:43 PM   #42
ZVP

at least 5 handguns and probablly 2 airguns (for the indoor range if it's inclimate outside).
During the Summer usually 3 B/P revolvers and 2 rimfire rifles.
I like to change ranges after about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs shooting just to mix it up.
ZVP
Old January 14, 2013, 11:11 PM   #43
Akimbo

For one hour of indoor range time, I only get to shoot 2 or 3.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:49 PM   #44
HawkeyeNRAlifer

I'll take three to four handguns of the same caliber, whatever I have loaded at the time. Sometimes a rifle or two. Any more gets to be a chore just carrying them out to the truck and back, let alone cleaning them afterwards.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:33 AM   #45
JimmyR

On a light day, I will normally carry 3-4. My average is probably 6, and I have brought as many as 9-10 in a single trip. I don't always shoto everything I bring, and I normally go with my fiance, so it depends on what we want to shoot.

As for cleaning, I try to clean everything I shoot within a day or two, depends on when I have time. I give them a good cleaning after each trip- field strip, hoppes and patch, plus a bore snake just for good measure. Periodically, I will also pick one that has seen a lot of action or has been recently acquired and give it a more thorough cleaning- really get all the dirt and grime out.

I also tend to keep one of my carry guns set aside for self defense if needed. I try to always carry a clean gun for personal protection. At the very least, I try to keep a magazine full of SD ammo set aside in my range bag just in case, and it goes in my carry gun on my way out of the range.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:45 AM   #46
PzGren

Two to four, cleaning rarely takes over 5 minutes for each. Only my AR take a little bit longer.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:03 AM   #47
mrclean77

All of 'em!

Seriously, I only have 1 handgun, 1 shotgun, 1 "deer" rifle and 1 rimfire.

-G21SF and Springfield (.22) go every time. Glock I clean after every trip or every other. The .22 has already been cleaned this year.

-870 only if I have buddies with me and we are planning on killing a bunch of clays (or at least giving them a good scaring)

-Marlin (30-30) makes a rare appearance as I don't think of going thru a box of that to be "fun"....and if I hunt, I used my dad's .270 (which is even less "fun" to practice with, but I do try to keep accurate)

Oh...my "range" is my parents' 40 acres, so I don't have to worry about what I can shoot where and constantly watch up and down the line to see how many muzzles are pointing my way...way more relaxing shooting
Old January 15, 2013, 10:32 AM   #48
Strafer Gott

Considering that we run in a pack, a truckload. It's more fun with friends!
Old January 15, 2013, 04:02 PM   #49
SIGSHR

Just one, avoids mixing up ammunition, magazines, etc.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:03 PM   #50
TailGator

Quote:
You run some Hoppe's No.9 down that barrel with a cotton patch till they come out white. That's cleaning a barrel.
That still doesn't take 2 hours. A field strip and a decent cleaning, including treating the barrel right as you said, averages about 30 minutes per pistol at my house.

To answer the question, I usually take 3 if I am by myself, more if someone is going with me (but then I have help cleaning).