The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
okiefarmer

Another primer question

I didn't want to hijack the thread below on the 7mm Magnum conundrum, but I'll ask this here to see what the hive says.

Some here say that changing any component from the listed loadings will/could cause catastrophic things to happen. I certainly would not use Magnum primers for standard load charges simply because the MAGNUM name gives such ominous visions of brute force. BUT, I have some Winchester WLP primers that state right on the box "LARGE PISTOL FOR STANDARD OR MAGNUM PISTOL LOADS"., then I have some LP for standard loads only, also some LP for Magnum loads only. This makes one think there is really very little difference. As Seinfeld would say, "What's the deal with that?"

I have used many small rifle primers in small pistol loadings, with no problems whatsoever. I have not gone the other way, simply because I run out of small pistol far more often than small rifle.

I also load many rounds from Metallic Reloading by LEE, and there is no reference to primer selection to begin with. Unless I missed something while reading LEE, he apparently is not too concerend about the brand change in primers, unless he infers that everyone will use either Winchester or CCI, the only two that he suggests for use in the LEE hand primer.
Old January 2, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

Okie

My guess is, the component manufacturers have lawyers that are paid to keep them from getting sued for gazillions of dollars. It is certainly prudent to heed the guidelines that are provided by load data books.

I have substituted primers, and have not had a catastrophic incident YET. The grey beards herein would probably advise that substituting primers be done cautiously, starting with minimum loads and working up and watching for signs of over pressure. That is how I develop a load no matter what. A co-worker started a new load with max charge, and had an "incident." Luckily he didn't wreck his rifle or get hurt, but he had a hell of a time getting the bolt open. His comment: "I will never start with max loads again! I thought the books were full of $***T but now I understand, not every gun will work with every max load."
Old January 2, 2012, 10:50 PM   #3
dacaur

The problem doesn't come from substituting components for load development, thats fine.
Where you run into problems is when you develop a load with one type of primer, then try to substitute another type, thinking you will get the same results.
Any time you change an component, you have to go down 10% and work up again to make sure its safe.
Old January 2, 2012, 11:45 PM   #4
chris in va

All I can say is small pistol magnum is the same as small rifle, per CCI.
Old January 2, 2012, 11:46 PM   #5
hk33ka1

I will interchange magnum and non magnum of same stype (large rifle etc) but always work up the load. Same if you start using another brand of brass or bullet etc.

I don't think Lee explicitly says it in his book, but he and others are of the belief Federal primers are softer, and set off easier and should not be used in MOST of his priming equipment. Mentioning the OK brands was the polite way of saying don't use Federal primers in the Loadmaster, 1000 or old Auto prime.

Any story I have heard or read of primer explosions/chain reactions in progressives has involved Federal.
Old January 3, 2012, 08:20 AM   #6
steve4102

Many handloaders fail to realize that published load data is NOT a recipe , it is merely a set of guidelines. There is no way any handloader can follow published load data exactly component for component. To do so one would need the exact same components, the exact same lot numbers, same temp, same altitude, same brass with identical case volume and of course the number one component the exact same firearm, not one just like it the same one. Of course we all know this is impossible, that is why it is important to "Start Low and Work Up".

As others have said, it's not about substituting components published in the manuals, you already did that, it'a about substituting components in your previously worked up loads. It is perfectly safe to substitute components like primers as long as you start low and work up. Same holds true when switching firearms, especially if your handloads are at or near max.