The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2012, 03:40 PM   #1
3006mv

Can someone identify this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-lee-hand-...#ht_500wt_1347

Don't know how to download a picture from ebay. The bottom left item in picture, some kind of crank handle but for what? Turning brass to use with the cutter? Have you seen the "NEW" not yet available Lee Precision stuff on youtube? wonder if was something they had a long time ago and updated to use with a press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNTuQuebvs

Last edited by 3006mv; January 2, 2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Scorch

Lee Loader with straight-line seater, includes hand priming tool. Worth $25-$30.
Old January 2, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
dahermit

That is the old Lee Target loader. It had a handle on a reamer that would ream the inside of the supported neck. It was discontinued long ago.
Old January 2, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

As the others said, it's a Lee Zero Error Target Model Lee loader. My first rifle loading tool was one just like it. With IMR 4198 measured with the scoop that came with it, my Remington 600 in .222 Rem. shot many a cloverleaf. Like any Lee Loader, it's slow, but works well. It has a one-at-a-time manual primer seater, the aforementioned inside neck reamer, and a micrometer adjusted seater, comes with a Lee case trimmer you can buy parts for to adapt to other cases. A good tool. After my success with the .222, I acquired one in .308 and another in .30-06, but my other equipment outmoded them, particularly as to speed, before I used them much.

I think I paid $25 for the .308 at a gun show, used. The .30-06 was given to me by a friend. The ebay one looks a bit pricey relative to what I paid and may exceed its original new cost. It was something close to that, I think. On the other hand, you'd have to collect quite a few thngs to produce equal quality neck-sized only loads with a press and die system. Plus you'd still need a way to turn your case necks more uniform (the Lee reamer is not as uniform as an outside neck turning tool, leaving me with about half a thousandth difference from one side to the other, but that comes close enough for good bullet alignment in commercial chambers, plus it can be used to ream out internal donuts if you have trouble with them forming).

So, if you can find one somewhere at a better price, I would. If you can't, if it's in good condition and the die isn't scored or the reamer chipped, it probably is still a cheaper way to get to load high quality ammo at low volume. You could also email the seller and tell him that if he doesn't get any takers you'll offer him $25 or whatever you feel comfortable with. He may get lucky and get some of the people who bid $50 on Lee two cavity molds you can buy new for $15 when you shop around, and there's just no point in bidding against people being that foolish. But if nobody bids, he may be interested.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 2, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old January 2, 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
3006mv

Thanks learn something new every day. Never seen one of these before. Not planning on buying, just wondering what it was.
Old January 2, 2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Uncle Nick

Do you happen to remember how many grains of IMR 4198 the scoop holds? Just started messing with loading for a 222 Remmy and 4198 is one of the powders that seems to be popular for that caliber.