The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 31, 2011, 03:22 PM   #1
overkill0084

BP newb questions.

I've inherited several Muzzleloaders and I would like to get a shopping list of supplies and gear that will be required to use them properly. Some kind of starter kit would be nice if there is such a thing.
The guns in question are:
Mowery Squirrel Rifle
Thompson Center Patriot
CVA Kentucky pistol
They are all .45 caliber percussion. I haven't shot muzzleloaders since about 1982, so my recall is a bit fuzzy.
I could also use a book that will give me some guidance for the basics. I remember the concepts, but it's the details that I can't seem to recall.
Is there a "standard size" .45 round ball or does it have a number of variables?
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 31, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2
rdstrain49

Get the Dixie Gun Works catalog. The reference section will have all the information you will need. Very much, worth the price. ($5.00 I think)
Old March 31, 2011, 06:45 PM   #3
mykeal

+1 on the DGW catalog, and/or the Lyman Black Powder Handbook.

But in the mean time:

Generally a .440 round ball will suffice in those; any differences in bore dimensions can be adjusted for using different thickness patch material. I'd start with 0.010" in each just to see what they do. A good starting load would be 20 grains by volume of fffg.

Ball starter/pistol loading rod combination
powder measure, adjustable
power flask or horn
capper (optional)
cleaning jag
patch puller attachment (optional)
ball puller attachment (optional)
cleaning patches
shooting patches (0.010, 0.015, 0.018, 0.020)
patch lube (use spit to start)
loading stand (highly recommended)

Forget the kits - you can do better on prices shopping around for individual items.
Old April 1, 2011, 06:29 PM   #4
rdstrain49

Mykeal got me thinking (always dangerous), I forgot about Lyman BP book, also Hodgdon had a very good manual. Don't know how the new one is, but they know their stuff. Try this. http://www.hodgdon.com/store/product...cat=249&page=1

The old Hodgdon manual had a very good section on BP & Pyrodex.
Old April 2, 2011, 09:31 AM   #5
overkill0084

Thanks for the responses. I will check into the resources mentioned.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke