The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 9, 2010, 11:01 AM   #26
10-96

At 7, I was learning to shoot a .22lr and I pretty much knew that if I got to go on a hunt it would be my chore to even keep up.

Sure, tell the parents to teach the youngun to shoot, take him along, let him/her shoot the AR at non-game targets once tags are filled- encourage him and let him build his skills but hunting I agree whole heartedly with Artsmom.

And reloading? If you don't have the rifle then you just as well tell them to use factory ammo. Reloading a respectably performing load would require working up loads from the minimum to find a velocity/accuracy combination that would warrant loading in the first place. If you just loaded up a box, how do you know they would cycle the action or group within 4"-6"? My pet .223 load? I wouldn't go near anything larger than a yote with it. I run a light load of varget and a 55gr V-Max. It's pretty slow, but it's like stoopid accurate out of both my CZ's

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 9, 2010, 12:09 PM   #27
Buzzard Bait

Yes You Can

Yes you can shoot deer with a 223 (where it is legal) It is a good choice for children when used within it's limits. When it comes bullets I think most of the 69gr bullets are match bullets and not well suited for hunting,also twist rate of most sporter type rifles will not handle them. I have used speers 70gr semi point out of a 222 with 100% perfomance on "first deer" shoots. From a blind shooting at a unalrmed deer standing broad side the bullet will give you a threw and threw wound with plety on internal damage.
I have now been involved with quite a few kids and their first deer I can tell you that it is awsome. Take the time to get them shooting the rifle or a rifle during the summer before the hunt. A 22 of similar size and sights is a good way to start, as you get closer to seson some reduced loads in the 223 is a good next step. Reduced loads in a 223? Yes to us a 223 seems like nothing but to a youngster its pretty intemadating. Take your time do everthing you can to make the event a happy one and you will be rewarded a thousand times over any trophy you ever took your self.
BB
Old January 9, 2010, 12:27 PM   #28
remingtonva

Well 7 isnt too bad It all depands on the kid. I started when I was 7 with a .223 now I wasnt aloud to walk with the gun but I got my very first .22 LR at 8, An could use it an take it when I wanted, But I was also respectful with it, An At 7,8 or even 10 you still dont know what they can do, I still dont trust some adults now a days with guns neither, let alone a child, I also Wanna take my son hunting an the great outdoors like my father did me, We lived out there, An I still share the fam. tradition with my wife an her fam., I have the chance now to show things I was taught An I still learn new things! I mean everyone needs to start at some point,If the kid Is respectful keep taking him an let him experince like We all mainly have If he is IMMATURE Stop an let him know It's just not your thing the wilderness an mother nature, Is A Respect beautiful place not somewhere for Immature people to go set SH** on Fire An Trash the place!
Old January 9, 2010, 04:36 PM   #29
Dallas Jack

The 60 gr Nosler Partition would be my choice but a well made 55 gr SP will work also.

IMO the .223 can be a good deer round "in experienced hands" otherwise not so good. Not saying it can't be done, just saying.
Dallas Jack
Old January 9, 2010, 11:03 PM   #30
Forty.Five

A well placed shot with a .223 is as good as any other shot.
Old January 10, 2010, 03:50 AM   #31
bamaranger

Agreed. 7 yrs is to young. Artmom is on the dot here. I hear this nonsense about the adult holding the gun, and letting the kid sight and pull the trigger. I'm agin' it.

.223 for deer. 55 or 62 gr bonded bullet from Federal, and exact placement.
I have some Noslers but have not killed any deer w/ them.

I would put a dot on my 3D archery target and let my boy dry fire on it.
Eventually I removed the dot.

He killed two w/ .223 and the above loads. One was a pass through and bled like shot w/ an '06. covered 60 yds and down. The second did not exit. No blood trail. Deer plowed 30 yds in cover and collapsed. We were very prepared, stable, shooting house conditions, and me right there, coaching. Age 11 and 12.

We started w/ .223, now he shoots something bigger.
Old January 14, 2010, 06:36 PM   #32
pinetree

Four of my hunting buddies took their sons out 2 weeks ago. The boys first time with "their" gun. 2 of the four boys got deer (does). Both used NEF single shots in 243. They are 7 and 8. At the same time, my wife's cousin's son, shot one using a 243. All of these shots were made by themselves - with guidance of course. As noted before 223 isn't a starter gun it is an expert gun for deer sized game.
Old January 15, 2010, 03:47 PM   #33
jckeffer

Re; Best .22 cal bullet for deer

I don't know if you could reload the in the .223 but Speer makes a Semi-Spitzer SP of 70 grains that is devastating on deer and antelope from my 22-250 Remington
Old January 16, 2010, 04:15 AM   #34
tachunter

You can't use a .223 for de....nevermind. haha

This is all you need.

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=22cal&s=152
Old January 17, 2010, 04:33 PM   #35
mtnman

I started hunting when I was 7 and by the time I was 10 my parents allowed me short trips on my own. I started with a stick that was treated as a gun at 3 years old. At the ripe old age of 5 was given a pellet gun and went hunting with family. When I was 7 years old I got a .410 bore shotgun and 3 years later was taking small excursions solo on the farm. I do not think 7 is too young to hunt. for city folks it may be too young but for country boys it seems to come somewhat naturally.
Old January 17, 2010, 04:47 PM   #36
m1thumb

For a seven year old, I would recommend a 30-30 level action. But seven is pretty young to be hunting deer. Please make sure a parent does everything short of pulling the trigger.