The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 19, 2020, 10:20 AM   #51
seanc

I had a Llama Mini-Max II .45 that was a smooth, compact shooter except for 1 thing: It would put every case right between the eyes! As much as I liked shooting that cheap little .45 at the range, I knew it was just a range toy and couldn't be used in SD. Could you imagine getting a hot case plunking you in the eye every shot? Yikes! It wasn't worth taking to a gunsmith to fix the ejection issue.
Old May 19, 2020, 05:22 PM   #52
gbclarkson

An ejected shell from an M249 bounced back at me and scratched my eye. Lesson learned about eye protection at the range.
Old May 20, 2020, 09:35 AM   #53
natman

My turkey shotgun is a 3" 12 ga shooting 2 oz loads. The recoil isn't too bad because it's a slow push you can roll with. Once a turkey came in from the side and I had to twist around awkwardly to shoot it. I didn't realize it, but I ended up with my shooting shoulder resting against the tree and couldn't roll back. Now that hurt. Won't make that mistake again.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:51 PM   #54
Trumpanista

Beretta Tomcat took a vicious bite outa me, really a very nice little .32, but the rear of the slide is shaped like a spear. My big mitts had no business trying to hold onto that tiny little gun.
Old May 21, 2020, 02:24 PM   #55
JERRYS.

I had a Grendel .380 back in the early 90s. the one that loaded from the ejection port. it didn't hurt to shoot but that gun bites. LOL
Old May 21, 2020, 03:50 PM   #56
Prof Young

Too many to remember.

The ones I can remember are hammer bite from my 1911, slide bite from the first time I shot a small semi-auto 380, and I've caught a web of skin in the ejection port when I've tried to rack out a jam. I'm sure there are more . . .

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old May 23, 2020, 05:21 PM   #57
S&W-Keeper

My Sig P230, bites if you don't be careful.
Old May 25, 2020, 10:41 PM   #58
Shadow9mm

walther ppk. Had one, took it to the range once, fired about 50 rnds, sold it. something with the beaver tail, when the gun recoiled, it dug rotated over into the top of the web of my hand and left it raw.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:15 PM   #59
BJung

Browning HP

Browning HP for me too. They seem to bit the hand that feeds it. I won't trade it for anything though. If anyone gets a change to buy the 40cal, do so. Mines is very accurate.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:43 PM   #60
44 AMP
Staff

Fit, of the hand, or the stock MATTERS!

Knew one fellow, ages ago, had a .300 Weatherby "Custom". Fantastic beast of a rifle. It was his caribou rifle and he hunted with it for several years. One time he took it deer hunting, came home day 3 of the season. With a nice deer, a cut over his eye and the whole side of his face black and blue.

Opening day, the deer jumped from a bush about 30 yds in front of him. He snap shot the deer (and got it) but the rifle beat him severely, because he didn't mount it properly before shooting.

Shooting even a fairly light recoilling rifle with your shoulder against anything so there's no "give" can be a painful experience.