The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 21, 2020, 11:21 PM   #1
Prof Young

Got any . . . don't know about guns stories!

Lots of well-meaning people have guns that they just don't know anything about.

True story of a man who flew for a missionary organization in Africa for most of his adult life. He had a "gun" in the plane "just in case." When he retired he planned to dispose of the gun but thought he should at least shoot it once. Yes, for years he had a "just in case" gun that he had never shot. Turns out that the gun was a small 22 cal revolver and the only ammo he had for it were shorts. Really. Anyway he loaded the gun for the first time, took aim at a stump, and . . . nothing. The humidity over the years had ruined the ammo. Whole box of duds.

And I mean no disrespect to the man. He lead a life of true service to humanity. Just never had been taught anything about guns.

Got any stories to share?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old March 22, 2020, 12:48 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

A friend of mine bought a .223 WSSM when it was the new "King of Speed" and marketing was full-bore. It was his first centerfire rifle, his first personal firearm purchase, the first real 'hot rod' that he had any experience with.

A few weeks later, he asked for advice. It wasn't shooting well any more.
I found this odd, as he had only taken the thing to the range twice. That meant that it shot well once. And then poorly the next time.

Long story short, we eventually used the jet engine bore scope at work to take a peak inside. The throat (and beyond!) was absolutely TOAST. It looked like an Apollo program heat shield, after re-entry.

Some questioning finally got him to admit that he only shot the 40 gr Winchester factory load in it. A little more questioning finally revealed that my genius friend had fired over 300 rounds of that 40 gr 4,200+ fps factory load in less than 2 hours.

-- I must note that the Winchester 40 gr factory load is the one that "dethroned" .220 Swift as the king of speed, but then got neutered to lower velocity than Winchester's own .220 Swift load, due to barrel burning.
Additional note: Like nearly all other Hornady Superformance loads, the same thing happened to the original .204 Ruger load that made that cartridge the 'new king'. Hornady still advertises the same muzzle velocity, but the ammunition doesn't reach it, even in rifles that did so with early production runs.--
Old March 22, 2020, 02:30 AM   #3
rc

A friend bought a shotgun but never bothered to learn how to use it. I offered to take him shooting but he was always too busy to make time to learn how to use it. He got himself in a stressful situation one night confronting a robber who had broken into a building on his property ordering him to the ground at gun point. The guy refused to comply and under stress he didn't know how to load the gun so he closed on the guy and struck him in the face with the barrel. The guy went to the ground and said, "owe, why'd you hit me", then the guy got up and ran away into the night..... My friend was lucky the guy didn't shoot him. Learn how to use your gun. Otherwise you should just have a club! It would be more effective.
Old March 22, 2020, 08:36 AM   #4
mikejonestkd

FrankenMauser, I have a similar story to yours.

My father and I were shooting at the local range with a gentleman that was running tons of ammo through his Winchester 70. After striking up a conversation with him we found out that it was a hot loaded 220 swift, and he was on his third barrel in 5 years. He claimed that the past two ones were junk as he only got top accuracy for 1000 rounds then they started to group poorly.

After watching him put 50+ rounds through the Winchester in 20 minutes my dad turned to me and said" looks like he is planning on buying a 4th barrel for that rifle "

It was a shame to see him ruin a new barrel on a beautiful rifle.
Old March 22, 2020, 11:30 AM   #5
stinkeypete

My club was having some engineering trouble with the fans at the 50’ indoor range and it was the dead of winter in a cold snap so I went to the gun shop range close to my house. They’re expensive but good guys so I splurged, even though their farthest distance is 15 yards.

I put an NRA 50 foot target down range at 15 yards and went about my quest to determine what sort of ammo it liked best. I shoot one handed. I was slowly putting 18 shots of Aguila standard velocity on to the paper.

The fellas in the other lanes were blazing away at FBI body targets at five to seven yards and I was glad I had plugs and muffs. They were having fun, but they seemed to be able to generally hold a group inside a manhole cover sized circle at 5 yards. Lots of big Glocks.

One my third cylinder I paused, ejected my .22 brass and placed my pistol muzzle down range with loading gate open. It was quiet around me. A nice fella tapped me on the shoulder. He and his buddy.

“New gun?” He asked.
“Yeah, it’s cute, isn’t it?”
“We’re about to leave, you should try shooting at a target. We can give you one” the nice guy says.
“You should use two hands, too” his buddy offers.
“But I am shooting at a target” I said with some confusion, flipping the switch and reeling in my nra target.

The men seemed surprised, they had not seen my target the size of a piece of a magazine at 15 yards when all the boys were shooting at refrigerators at 5 yards.

I turned to tug my target off the clips. It was not great but they were at least all on the paper, grouping left.

By the time I turned back to continue the conversation, all I could see was the door closing.

I felt bad. I wasn’t trying to show off and it’s a cowboy gun not a bullseye pistol and I used to be pretty good but nothing like the Camp Perry guys.. But some fellas have never seen what a pistol can do at distance with practice and really taking time to aim.
Old March 22, 2020, 06:03 PM   #6
Crankylove

My neighbor, a somewhat, sort of prepper type, has 17 unfired rifles in his safe.

He bought/traded for them for home protection, most are AR15/AR10 style rifles, some new, some used. Some have sights or optics, some have nothing.

He has ammo for most of them, but even the ones he has ammo for, he has personally never fired.

Has had some of them for close to a decade, some for a couple months.

Dosent hunt, dosent target shoot. Pulls them out of the safe to show them off, then sticks them back in, about half still have the factory tags and stickers on.

It blows my mind. When I get a new gun, I can’t wait to go try it out. Have taken a day off work just cause I didn’t want to wait till the weekend to shoot a new one.
Old March 22, 2020, 06:21 PM   #7
TXAZ

You mean like the first time I fire a 12Ga shotgun as a 12 year old that was too big for me so my uncle said lean back against the tree (back of the same shoulder the gun was on) to stabilize the gun, then pull the trigger and ...........

I never did that again. (And didn't listen to that uncle much either after that)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 22, 2020, 06:31 PM   #8
rickyrick

Went shooting with some friends and one person had their thumb pressed against the back of the slide on a striker fired semiauto pistol.
I was able to stop them before they fired it.
Old March 23, 2020, 12:27 AM   #9
Scorch

Just this week had a guy bring in a Mossberg 500 in 410 that had been cut off and a brake added to make 18". Said he could only get one round into it. I suspected it had a plug, so I took it into the shop to test it. Shoved 5 410s into it! Took it back to him and told him it takes 5 rounds, and he wanted me to show him how. I took my dummies and loaded them into the magazine from the bottom just like in the movies. He had a funny look on his face, then said that's not how he was trying to load them. I didn't even ask, just gave the gun back to him. He said he might call me with more questions. I told him to youtube it.
Old March 23, 2020, 11:07 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
You mean like the first time I fire a 12Ga shotgun as a 12 year old that was too big for me so my uncle said lean back against the tree (back of the same shoulder the gun was on) to stabilize the gun, then pull the trigger and ...........

I never did that again. (And didn't listen to that uncle much either after that)
I had to twist around to get a turkey in my sights and did that once accidentally with a 2 oz 12 ga load. Won't do that again.
Old March 23, 2020, 11:17 AM   #11
natman

Years ago I got a phone call at the shop from a customer asking about rifle scopes.

HIM: What does it mean if a rifle scope is a 4x-32?

ME: That means it's a four power scope with a 32 mm front lens.

HIM: What does 4 power mean?

ME: That means if your target is 100 yards away, it appears to be only 25 yards away.

HIM: Does the bullet still have to go the whole 100 yards?

Long pause.

ME: Yes, sir, the bullet still has to go the entire 100 yards. The scope merely makes the target look like it's only 25 yards away. It does not actually warp the space-time continuum.

I don't know how I managed to hang up without laughing out loud.
Old March 23, 2020, 12:01 PM   #12
2wheelwander

Buddy came over asking for guidance. He wanted to buy his first handgun. I pulled out a variety for him to try before he dropped $. He got the webbing of his thumb behind the slide and took a pretty bloody reminder for it. I should've known when he asked how much accuracy you gain by holding a Glock sideways

Another buddy asking the same bought his 2 small boys over. He'd bought them a pellet rifle to learn basics on. The stock was too big so they'd taken to throwing the stock over the top of their shoulder to look through the scope. It was cute. They wanted to shoot a pistol so I took out a S&W .22 semi auto, loaded it up and handed it to Dad. Looking downrange nothing was happening. Looked back to the young boy who was holding the slide of that pistil about an inch from his mouth so he could see the sights better with his finger on the trigger. I couldn't scream STOOOPP fast or loud enough. Dad has a degree in Physics, but didn't know how a semi auto gun works.

Whenever I get a request to show a beginner how to shoot, I'm always reminded of these 2 instances. Even the stone cold obvious basics are lost on those who've never been shown. Movies are a horrible teacher.
Old March 23, 2020, 12:06 PM   #13
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman View Post
Years ago I got a phone call at the shop from a customer asking about rifle scopes.

HIM: What does it mean if a rifle scope is a 4x-32?

ME: That means it's a four power scope with a 32 mm front lens.

HIM: What does 4 power mean?

ME: That means if your target is 100 yards away, it appears to be only 25 yards away.

HIM: Does the bullet still have to go the whole 100 yards?

Long pause.

ME: Yes, sir, the bullet still has to go the entire 100 yards. The scope merely makes the target look like it's only 25 yards away. It does not actually warp the space-time continuum.

I don't know how I managed to hang up without laughing out loud.
That was hilarious.

We have a WINNER!!!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 23, 2020, 12:16 PM   #14
2wheelwander

Nearly forgot this one. Roughly 15/20 years ago I took my sister into a gun shop. Flint gun shop out of Angola IN. Older gent has run it for decades now. Don't know if its true but I've been told he has an 8th grade education. Nothing fancy, but nice selection, decent prices. Regardless, he's sustained a gun shop on his own for years, so props for that.

Anyhoo, I'm in there with my sister helping her pick out a handgun. I'm recommending a .38 snub, maybe a G23 for her needs. The owner pipes in show should just get a .22 revolver for home defense and CC. I look up completely puzzled and shocked thinking he's been around longer than myself, lets hear him out. Maybe its a 'girl' thing.

Nope, his reasoning was that a .22 long rifle had the same muzzle velocity as a .45 ACP and a slow 9mm. Nothing more was needed that a .22 CCI mini mag for home defense. PERIOD. Same muzzle velocity, thats all that mattered.

I was unable to pick my jaw up to respond. All I could think about was how many other uninformed people had he spewed this to? I'm usually a quick witted person, but this one took the cake. I had to catch my breath. The stupidity was next level.

So, I asked him about muzzle energy, grain weight, bullet design, etc. Nope. Didn't matter. My sister didn't know what was going on, only that I was getting worked up. So, I asked the guy if he'd rather get hit in the face with a ping pong ball at 100'/second or a bowling ball traveling at 100'/second. "well the ping pong ball". And that my friend is stored energy, or bullet weight. He still wouldn't have any of it and doubled down, anything more than .22 long rifle was a waste.

We walked out after I told him the FBI/CIA/LE, and military's around the world would be interested to know how they've wasted all that money on more capable guns and he should write a book.
Old March 23, 2020, 12:35 PM   #15
RickB

Shortly after I bought my Delta Elite 10mm, circa 1999, I ran 100 rounds through it, cleaned it, and put it away.
The next time I took it to the range, I loaded, aimed, pulled the trigger, and *click*.
Racked that round out, tried again, same result.
Scrutinizing the ejected rounds, I saw no firing pin marks on the primers.
The firing pin had broken on the last shot fired in the previous range session.

My Delta is strictly a fun gun, but if it were a carry gun . . .
Old March 23, 2020, 06:40 PM   #16
rickyrick

Omg love post #11
Old March 26, 2020, 05:55 PM   #17
Paul B.

Every once in a while I run into a yahoo who says a snub nosed revolver is inaccurate. You know, "It's just a belly gun and won't hit anything past ten feet." kind of rhetoric. I found a nice way to shut them up. I keep a $100 bill in my wallet. I don't say aword, just set up one of those po;ice type man shaped targets up and one hundred yards, pull out that $100 bill and set it on the bench with a weight so the wind doesn't blow it away and, sat, "That says I can hit the target out there. Put up or shut up." I've gotten a few takers but I still have that $100 bill. Oh yeah, the gun is an S&W M60, 1 7/8" barrel.
Paul B.
Old March 27, 2020, 11:13 AM   #18
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
Every once in a while I run into a yahoo who says a snub nosed revolver is inaccurate. You know, "It's just a belly gun and won't hit anything past ten feet." kind of rhetoric. I found a nice way to shut them up. I keep a $100 bill in my wallet. I don't say aword, just set up one of those po;ice type man shaped targets up and one hundred yards, pull out that $100 bill and set it on the bench with a weight so the wind doesn't blow it away and, sat, "That says I can hit the target out there. Put up or shut up." I've gotten a few takers but I still have that $100 bill. Oh yeah, the gun is an S&W M60, 1 7/8" barrel.
Paul B.
I thought the same thing the first couple of times I shot a snub nose revolver. Then bought a couple of better snub nose revolvers and learned how to shoot them. I find them about accurate as any other small handgun but regardless of the handgun, someone 100 yards away would be pretty safe from me. I found that 357 Magnum out of a snub nose revolver gets your attention.
Old March 30, 2020, 09:13 AM   #19
Skans

You have to do a lot of shooting with that Model 60 to be able to consistently hit even a man-sized target out 100 yards. I've done a lot of shooting with a round-butt model 60 and can say that, taking my time shooting single-action I can hit standard round pistol targets in the black up to maybe 30-40 yards or so.
Old March 30, 2020, 09:51 AM   #20
cslinger

Number 11 is GOLD.

I was told by a gun counter guy that it didn’t matter what gun you bought because they were ALL made in the same factory. Glocks, AKs, Savages, SIGs, Berettas etc. didn’t matter because what they don’t tell you is they were ALL produced in the same factory.

Since I know better then to have these conversations I just sighed and said “No Sh@&, really?” Did my business and got the heck out of crazy town.

To this day I imagine this mythical place where all guns are made called Webemakindemalldorf. I also imagine a magical place where every round of ammo is produced called Ammostan.
Old March 30, 2020, 10:23 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You have to do a lot of shooting with that Model 60 to be able to consistently hit even a man-sized target out 100 yards.
I think you're short-changing a lot of people with that statement. Some designs work better for certain people. And certain people just seem to have a knack for shooting snubs well.

I couldn't shoot my S&W 642 worth a crap. Self defense distances were okay, but bad enough that I'd rate my performance as "unsatisfactory". The revolver was fine, albeit with 'sights' that are not designed for use by humans. I just couldn't shoot it well.

The LCR that replaced the 642, however...
I had it out on a trip last year. Some slobs had left behind some perforated automotive/RV size fire extinguishers and a few bowling pins. They were 94 yards from our firing line. I had never attempted shooting the LCR at such distances, and figured I'd just see how dumb the idea was.

With the third round fired, I was on target. I ran a few cylinders and held a pretty decent group, with about 50% hits.
On the 5th cylinder, I went 6-for-6* on a bowling pin. ...And packed the LCR away for the day. 'Always end on a high note.'

I have taken the LCR out a few more times since then, and been able to repeat similar performances - the 50/50, not 6-for-6 - on other "distant" targets (75-100 yards).
If I was challenged to pull the revolver out and hit a man-sized target at 100 yards, I would be very confident in a first-round hit and 'guaranteed' if the expectation was just *a* hit from a full cylinder.

With the 642, I never could have done it. But with the LCR, I didn't even know I could do it, until I was just screwing around.

*(.327 Federal LCRs have a capacity of six rounds.)
Old March 30, 2020, 10:58 AM   #22
skywag

When I was just a boy I took rifle lessons indoor at the Multnomah Athletic Club in Portland. This was in the early 1950's and the instructor was a Marine. He was probably a drill Sgt. because we were held at tight regiment. We didn't even fire the first few weeks as he made us build loading blocks and had safety lessons. I used my father's Winchester Model 75.

After a few years of this, I got pretty good and had a bunch of NRA marksman's awards.

Fast forward to boot camp, 1967. We had to qualify with the M16. My target had 60 holes all grouped in about a 10" circle. But ALL over the target were strays..............from other shooters left and right of me.
Old March 31, 2020, 08:06 AM   #23
gbclarkson

Quote:
But ALL over the target were strays..............from other shooters left and right of me.
Ahhh... memories. When my unit was deploying for Iraq in '02 we discovered the battalion commander, the Lt. Colonel, couldn't shoot straight with his M9. He could not qualify. Not even close. After several failed attempts he magically qualified as an expert. He was actually stunned. How did he go from failing to expert? He profusely thanked the soldier coaching him for his patience and expertise. I wonder if the commander ever discovered the coach's final strategy: give the shooters on the right and left extra ammunition.
Old March 31, 2020, 11:49 AM   #24
FrankenMauser

I was involved in something like that in late 2005. Air Force.
Similar result, different approach.

I don't remember the exact situation, but arrangements were made for myself and two other guys from my unit to stay at the range with the armorers and instructors after our weapons qualification, because almost everything was shut down for some huge ceremony that took over our side of the base. ...And we wouldn't be able to go anywhere else for 4-6 hours.

We screwed around on the 75 yard range with some of the oddities in the armory, like M16A3s and a couple HK416s. It was nice to play with something other than the usual ratty and worn out M16A2s.

When a small class showed up for their rifle qual session, we shot along side them with A2s, until the instructor asked us if we could "help" two of the students qualify. The rest of the class was gone, and these guys just couldn't get enough hits. (Fuel cell guys. Even more so than us, if they have to start shooting, everyone is already dead, anyway.)

Since this was a 25 yd range with simulated-distance targets, I laughingly suggested that we shoot in 'burst', so it looks more believable and seems like the two of us are still doing our own thing.

The instructor paused for just a split second and then gave us the run-down: "Okay. Here's the deal. We'll run through the standard drill and just let them shoot. Then, once they have gas masks on and can't see for [poop] any more, you guys use burst to light up the first two targets in each sequence. That should be enough, but not too much."

Both students qualified. Both missed the target entirely with their own shots, so many times, that neither had too many holes in the paper.

It was a fun day, even if there was some cheating going on.

(When I returned for my next re-qual about five months later*, the same instructor let me shoot for record in 'burst'. Two holes in the white. The rest in the black. "Expert" in burst. It may be the lowly USAF qualification standard, but I was proud of it. I think I still have the target.)
*Mil-Spec qualification schedule: If you're due in 18 months, you'd better get it done a year early, just to make sure you don't go overdue...
Old March 31, 2020, 02:11 PM   #25
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Went shooting with some friends and one person had their thumb pressed against the back of the slide on a striker fired semiauto pistol.
I was able to stop them before they fired it.
If you press your thumb hard enough, that doesn’t hurt and keeps the breech locked, at least it does on a tilting-barrel locked-breech action. I do that with my suppressed Glock 19 sometimes to make it super quiet. Just press your support thumb firmly against the rear of the slide and it doesn’t unlock at all, and doesn’t hurt. It actually pushes back with less pressure against your thumb than my Mk III does.