The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 22, 2016, 03:40 PM   #26
5whiskey

Quote:
As explained, I'd have to pay either way.
It's hard to give advice without a price comparison. If I could get a new barrel for only a few dollars (Euro?) more than the counterbore, I may would go that route. If you save a good bit of money by counterboring to remove the damage, I would do that. I've shot a ton of Mosin Nagants, and a few of them had been counterbored. They seemed to shoot just as good, if not a bit better, than their full bore counterparts.
Old December 22, 2016, 04:05 PM   #27
Pond, James Pond

Counterbore quoted around €50. A new barrel fitted €150 excluding a refinish as repressing the barrel in woul marr the finish.
Old December 24, 2016, 05:36 PM   #28
tobnpr

If you're not concerned about resale value do the counterbore...Shallow enough to have no affect on accuracy, get a precision target crown at the same time as the military crown is likely less than perfectly done/concentric.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old December 25, 2016, 03:41 AM   #29
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
If you're not concerned about resale value do the counterbore...Shallow enough to have no affect on accuracy, get a precision target crown at the same time as the military crown is likely less than perfectly done/concentric.
I updated another threat connected to this rifle and I'm biting the bullet in that I'm going to pay the extra money to get a further rifle, transfer this one back to the shop and buy another one that they have whose rifling is not all gone. Mine was heavily worn. Net it works out at about €10 more than a counterbore and €30 over the cost of the original gun. The one I have in mind has far better rifling.

It turns out that the cost of these rifles is because they are used barrels reset in a reconditioned/new receiver. So they are barrels designed to handle full-auto which is good, but they've been shot and probably a fair bit, which is not so good.
Old December 25, 2016, 09:57 AM   #30
tobnpr

^^
Surprising to me that they went to the expense of manufacturing semi-auto components (receivers, fcg's) to rebuild these for the civilian market- and did not include newly manufactured barrels as part of that process (as is most always done here in the US).

Slapping a shot-out barrel into a rebuilt firearm makes no sense.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1CVZ2008
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old December 28, 2016, 03:54 AM   #31
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Surprising to me that they went to the expense of manufacturing semi-auto components (receivers, fcg's) to rebuild these for the civilian market- and did not include newly manufactured barrels as part of that process (as is most always done here in the US).
I suspect the receiver is also from original guns.
TBH, I don't know anymore.

Once I get it, I'd be happy to post pics of various bits if you give me guidance as to what to photograph to give an idea of what is used and what is not.

All I remember is that the internals looked pretty crisp with little signs of use on the rails. Then again, at the time I thought it was all new, so perhap my brain just didn't register signs of wear...

I do remember that the striker shaft had peening from the pin strikes, but it was just the shallowest of indentations. And I think that striker is aluminium as it is very light.

As for the semi-auto trigger group, there are something like 3 bits in there that they had to make, so no major expense. It clearly was financially worth it because they have been selling these off at very low prices. €330 is VERY cheap for a semi auto on the Estonian market.