The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 26, 2015, 10:27 AM   #1
44 AMP
Staff

Sharps Four Barrel Derringer?

I'm looking for information about a "Sharps" derringer. A friend asked me to see what I could find out.

He remembers (vaguely) a Sharps (Sharps/somebody?) four barrel derringer, made or imported in the 1960s. A modern cartridge gun, (possibly patterned after an old one?) the barrels slid forward to load/unload.

I have no clue, so I ask here. Anyone have any info on this oddball?

Friend said Sharps made thousands of them, in the old days. The gun he is trying to find out about is a modern repro of those, he thinks. (apparently it wasn't around very long?)

Any help will be valuable. Thanks.
Old January 26, 2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Yes, there was such a thing, imported from Italy by Navy Arms.
It was a pretty faithful copy in .22 Short.
Sharps made something over 100000 of them, Navy sure didn't sell that many.
It is not significant enough to make it into the Blue Book so I can't say just when or how long Navy Arms offered them.
Old January 26, 2015, 10:49 AM   #3
thickice

Here's an Uberti imported by Navy arms.
http://www.confederateordinance.com/...by-uberti.html

And here's one made in Texas:
http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/HJS/hjs.html
Old January 27, 2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I may have a picture of my original Sharpe & Hankins 32 rim fire... sounds the same...

looks like I don't have a dedicated picture, but it's on this rack...

it has a button that slides down, allowing the barrel assembly to slide forward, if done sharply, 4 tabs eject the spent cases, it has a ratchet rotating firing pin on the hammer, so the gun fires one barrel at a time... mine seems to function OK, but I've yet to shoot it ( I have a pretty limited supply of 32 Rim Fire ) it is quite difficult to get to slide open, as the button is pretty flat, & not knurled, & the gun is pretty tiny, plus it's kind tough to get the button engaged in the right position to get the barrels free

I looked at the pictures in the links, my Sharpes & Hankins is most close to the Navy Arms 22, although it looks like the barrel release is under the barrels, & on mine, it's on the side, just before & under the hammer... ( you can see the flash glint off the button on the side exposed, just under the chambers )

it's 7th down on the right side, just above the bottom break S&W, also in 32 Rim Fire...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 27, 2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old January 27, 2015, 10:09 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on to my friend! (I sure HOPE he doesn't ask me to find him one...)
Old January 27, 2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Iver Johnson has reported for a few years that they will make a new 22LR version. There's a picture on their website and it was reported at Shot.

If it happens I don't know. I was in Florida about 15 years ago and stopped by a gun show. A guy had a table covered with the HJS gun but I wasn't going to pay the FFL fees for what was an $80 gun then.

HJS also made a one barrel 380 or 9mm version - IIRC. It was viewed in Guns and Ammo as being snappy.

I also loved the gun after watching Yancy Derringer. I'd buy a new one for grins if it was terribly expensive.
Old January 27, 2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Jim Watson

There is a guy around here who has a somewhat mysterious one of these.
Either it is a very early one before Navy Arms got them on the US market or maybe it has been defarbed to get off the Italian proof marks and importer's marks. It is not an original, just an odd repro. But it is worrying him to death; he posts it on a Facebook board every couple of months begging for information.
Old January 27, 2015, 11:39 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'd love to have a modern version in .22 or even .32 Long with a positive safety.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 27, 2015, 03:18 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

A 32 would be really neat. Then I would dress like Yancy with one in each jacket sleeve. One in each vest pocket and one in my old style southern hat.

I recall him saying on the show that he carried 32 Sharps. Of course, after than show, the actor went on to play Tarzan - hard to conceal in that outfit.
Old January 28, 2015, 12:46 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

For those interested in new, I saw the IJ at SHOT.
Obviously a toolroom sample, but looked promising & they said expected late summer.
Denis
Old January 28, 2015, 03:11 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I'd love to see a good pic of a new one.... I'd really like a "shooting" example, though I'd prefer anything in center fire to a 22 RF
Old January 28, 2015, 03:57 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Uberti made thousands of them pre-1968. Copies may have been made by other Italian makers, also.
The Svendsen, HJS, and (I assume) Iver Johnson copies are much smaller than the original Sharps or Ubertis.
Old January 28, 2015, 08:25 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

Actually, the originals are not at all scarce. Sharps made well over 100K of them in all models and some 60K in the first model alone. They can be found at most big gun shows and a fair condition functional one will run $500-600 and a grand will get one in nice condition. (Expect to dicker to get the best price.) You might do better if you don't mind one that you can't fire since ones in .30 RF will usually be cheaper.

Jim
Old January 29, 2015, 07:54 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

As far as I know, they were made in .22, .30, and .32 Short and Long, all rimfire.

I'm not sure if the .22 versions were .22 Short or Long.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.