The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 27, 2020, 12:19 AM   #26
bamaranger

close

First off, I've never shot a tame deer, ......ever!

OK, that out of the way, as a bowhunter, I routinely kill deer inside of 30 ft/10 yds on a pretty regular basis. On some, I'm higher in the tree, than the deer is from the base. My average kill shot is fourteen paces, and I don't pace a true, 36" / yard.

With a firearm, I shot a buck as it ran past my seated position at the base of a big white oak tree, maybe 12-15 feet away. He'd spooked a moment prior and I missed at about 25 yds as he broke. He was trying to make a cut in a rocky bluff, and I was seated between him and it. The vintage .44 Ruger auto carbine was the ideal tool for that job.
Old January 27, 2020, 01:51 AM   #27
Hawg

Quote:
Does hitting one with my truck count? Lol
The truck I have now has killed 6 or 7. The grill is all busted up and held together with zip ties. The front bumper has an upward tilt, half of the air dam under the front bumper is gone and one parking light is missing. There's also a big dent in the side of the bed where one T boned me and died from a broken neck.
Old January 27, 2020, 07:19 AM   #28
std7mag

20 feet.
Sitting just inside the treeline along a field.
Thought i heard something behind me, so i turned around.
Nothing.
Then definitely heard something from behind me on the field side.
Turned, 2 does 20 feet away.
7mm Rem Mag, 150gr Ballistic Tip.
Shot when i saw brown in the scope...
She didn't go far.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 27, 2020, 08:05 AM   #29
Schlitz 45

I took a spike elk just before dawn on a very windy 1st morning of 3rd rifle season from about 25'.

Last edited by Schlitz 45; January 27, 2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old January 27, 2020, 11:06 AM   #30
MarkCO

If a truck counts, does a Charger? '71 Dodge Charger got one and the 2003 Silverado has collected 2, and 3 Elk. ARB bumper after the first deer, no damage to the front for the next 4.

Rifle on Deer, about 30 yards, pistol was about 5 yards. Both were surprised awake from a mid-day nap and popped up and just stared at me for the rest of their life.
Old January 27, 2020, 02:54 PM   #31
kenny53

Mule deer buck, 3 point, western count. Maybe 20 yards. Winchester 30-06.
Old January 27, 2020, 05:27 PM   #32
RaySendero

Almost point blank.
Had one come up to the shooting house window.
Ears back, Nose up - Guess I smelled good?!
Old January 27, 2020, 08:46 PM   #33
2wheelwander

^^^^We have a winner!
Old January 27, 2020, 09:54 PM   #34
langenc

7-8 YARDS w/ the 4th (fourth) arrow I shot at him. Cut the femoral artery in the left ham. Ran about 60-70 yards
Old January 27, 2020, 10:40 PM   #35
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Y buck caught whiffing on my doe scent sprayed on the trunk of the tree I sat above in on a branch and boat cushion (white pine)
12 ft below me is about all. Shot straight down thru the animals spine and chest just barely in front of its front shoulders. 336 Marlin 30-30 S-C. Year rifle made 1953
Old January 28, 2020, 10:15 AM   #36
Tallest

Right beneath my stand, which is a 1970's semi cab mounted 15' in the air on a steal frame. A large doe approached from behind me and walked out under the stand basically under my feat. Made for a very easy head shot with G17.
X = 2'
Y = -11'

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old January 28, 2020, 02:29 PM   #37
stinkeypete

About 15 yards
with my Great Granfather’s 7.62x51R x 12 ga.H. Pieper Side by side combo (1892)

I was stalking quietly down a trail and heard a rustling behind me, a big Wisconsin doe was overtaking me.

The Nosler Ballistic Tip in 30-30 brass and a powder puff load of Bullseye put a muzzle velocity of about 1200 FPS and a sound from the long long barrel about like an airgun.

The doe was hit in the heart and tumbled down a hill. I don’t think she took one step. The bullet, in perfect mushroom shape, was recovered inside the opposite side hide.

I remember it was right near sunset and after field dressing, it was a real grunt using ropes and mechanical advantages to get her on top of my car, as my pals had all left earlier.

Those Noslers will open up at very low velocity, even sub-Contender velocity. Good stuff for a gun that is over 100 years old. Nowadays, I’d use Trailboss powder but I’ve retired the gun knowing it’s last shot was for meat in the freezer.
Old January 28, 2020, 03:18 PM   #38
Scorch

Shot a deer at about 5 or 6 feet with a handgun. We were watching a treeline sitting on a trail just inside of the treeline. The deer literally walked up on us and the little buck at the back didn't go home with the does. He jumped 6 feet sideways when I shot, guess he was surprised.
Old January 29, 2020, 04:44 PM   #39
thallub

About 18 feet. A big doe walked directly under my stand. She was shot in the neck with a round ball from my .50 caliber muzzleloader.
Old January 29, 2020, 07:49 PM   #40
Nodak1858

About 20 feet, I was on the end of a thick tree row, brother and dad were walking through it. About six doe came tearing out, ran right at me, I started swigging like I was hunting pheasant. I pulled the trigger and it barrel rolled dead on the spot. Was so close I just pointed and shot, was using a 30-06 with a 3x9 scope so all I could see was fur.
Old January 30, 2020, 04:42 PM   #41
Paul B.

Six feet, twice. First one I literally stepped that I guess thought he was well hidden. he was until I stepped on him. Stuck the rifle out like a handgun With the muzzle almost touching him. You cannot believe the destruction. The other one was while I was on a stand and my hunting partner spooked the deer which came running past me I guess the muzzle was about two feet from the deer when I shot. A nasty entrance hole and a nastier one coming out.
Paul B.
Old February 1, 2020, 04:15 PM   #42
4V50 Gary
Staff

20 yds, bogen und pfeil.
Old February 2, 2020, 12:52 PM   #43
hdbiker

Fork horn county Forrest buck running right at me in the rain. He had to dodge to not run right over me. He dodged and I shot him at 3 feet, FROM THE HIP !!!. I was glad for the buck and getting out of the rain LOL.
Old April 9, 2020, 04:37 PM   #44
Jack O'Conner

During a hunt in Maryland, I was posted within my tree stand when a dandy buck walked directly under my position. I shot straight down with my crossbow. The bolt struck through the back and exited near the diaphram cutting major arteries. This buck wobbled away but collapsed within 25 feet of the shot. This was my closest kill for a big game animal.

Jack
Old April 9, 2020, 06:09 PM   #45
skywag

Many years ago we flew our Super Cubs into a field about 1/2 between the river and the top of the Snake River canyon. It was the day before hunting season opened. There were a lot of deer standing around because they were driven there by hunters in boats on the river and trucks on the rim.

At sunset, we walked out in the field with a bucket of white paint and painted a BIG "X" on the largest buck. In the morning, we sipped a cup of coffee........shot the marked buck......loaded him into the PA-18 and were home before noon!!
Old April 9, 2020, 10:27 PM   #46
Drm50

One year was a driver. We were driving up a hog back to the main ridge. I had to go down into a little run and back up bank on other side , about 8’ deep. I had ahold of a sapling with one hand to help me up. Just as I got to top 3 deer were coming right at me. I fired as they were literally over my head. 12g slug took it right under chin. Deer knocked me back into run and it’s legs were whirling like a chicken with its head cut of. I judge range was about 16” when I fired. I had deer brains all over my face and glasses. It blew top of head clear off and popped its eyes out.
Old April 10, 2020, 09:29 AM   #47
natman

I went deer hunting in some thick woods. I knew the deer would be close, so I used some apple cover scent. I made the mistake of putting it on my camo jacket.

A doe and fawn came by. The fawn went looking for the tasty apple it could smell. It ended up so close to me that I could have killed it with my knife as it sniffed my jacket. Then it finally figured out that something was amiss, so it backed off a foot and started stomping and snorting. I figured I wasn't likely to see a buck with him raising the alarm so I stood up. He almost turned himself inside out trying to turn around and run.
Old April 10, 2020, 09:41 AM   #48
ammo.crafter

shortest

I believe it was about 30 yards using single shot Contender in .357 Max.
Old August 24, 2020, 12:39 AM   #49
Double K

I've killed two bucks that were standing within a foot of my ladder stands, the first one was with a crossbow at 15' minus the height of the deer the second was with a compound at 12' minus the deer height. Neither one ever seen me and died in seconds under 100yds.
You know your excited when you can hear your own heartbeat and it seems so loud your afraid it may give you away.
Old August 25, 2020, 06:27 PM   #50
langenc

My closest was about 8-9 yards w/ the FOURTH arrow. Fourth stuck him in the big vein going down the hind leg. All shots were at the rear end of the critter.