The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 30, 2021, 08:14 AM   #1
AlongCameJones

Who dresses like me while hunting?

That's me in the bottom picture with red/black plaid Pendleton shirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tacticool deer.jpg (370.8 KB, 676 views)

Last edited by AlongCameJones; May 30, 2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old May 30, 2021, 09:09 AM   #2
MarkCO

I wear about the same thing 365 if I can. Jean or Cargos, a T-Shirt and a Hoodie. I'll throw on my orange vest with my gear in it and add the rifle and ready to go. When it gets too warm, ditch the hoodie. If really cold, swap it out of a heavier hoodie.
Old May 30, 2021, 09:54 AM   #3
jmr40

Depends on where/what I'm hunting. For deer and big game solid brown or green pants are the norm with a similar shirt and jacket. I'll wear camo during archery big game season as well as turkey or waterfowl hunting but avoid trying to look like either Elmer Fudd or GI Joe.

Winston Churchill
Old May 30, 2021, 10:18 AM   #4
Carl the Floor Walker

I have a locker where I keep all my hunting clothes and many varieties of under garments. I also have clothes I keep permantly in the vehicle. I am in the woods most all year round except for the hottest days of summer. Even winter days can be warm, so I have to have different layers. All my outer gear is camo. My outer shell pants are Tick Repellent and that is a must. And I when I wash my clothes they are sprayed down heavily with Permethrin. I also keep a large container of it in the vehicle along with other insect lotions for the skin. I also keep rain gear in the vehicle.
Old May 30, 2021, 10:43 AM   #5
AlongCameJones

I wore that Pendleton in the morning

for the deer hunt. It was a bit chilly but dewy and clear skies in the morning but not ice cold in mid-October for NorCal. The wool Pendleton, dark navy work pants and hiking boots were just right for the weather. In the afternoon it got sunny and somewhat hot, so for the ground squirrel hunt then, I took off my Pendleton and just wore the orange vest over my white tee. Both hunts were walking hunts. I took a chance and traveled 450 miles to the man's ranch in my truck with no rain gear and got lucky it didn't rain for the clothing I had.

Yes, CA, depending upon zones, had October gun seasons in the '90's. Still many people think of November for deer as in this Tom Lehrer classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hruwxqBuKLA

Last edited by AlongCameJones; May 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:32 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

As eloquently stated by Ms Vito in My Cousin Vinnie, the "dee-ah" don't care what you are wearing...
Old May 30, 2021, 12:17 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

My hunting clothing looks suspiciously like my day-to-day clothing.
A person might even be inclined to think they are one and the same.
Old May 30, 2021, 12:23 PM   #8
AlongCameJones

Hunting clothing should both protect you from the elements and not spook the game. It should also make it easy for you to be seen by other hunters and be tough enough for the field. It should be loose enough to move in and not painful to wear. Dress in layers according to weather. Might you scare the animals away out hunting in your birthday suit?
Old May 30, 2021, 12:34 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Unlike the people and Californians in your area, people here tend to not run around naked.
Old May 30, 2021, 01:53 PM   #10
AlongCameJones

The birthday suit scene only happens on nudist beaches in CA and with small children who have yet to develop the learned behavior of modesty. We don't come out of our mother's wombs natural-born prudes but we are sporting our birthday suits for that occasion.

PS - Body modesty was undoubtedly developed by jealous fat, gray, wrinkled old women during the post-Roman-Empire Christian Era who "just don't have the looks" like the young, smooth slender goddesses. How men were compelled to wear clothes in public, I don't know. Maybe the prudish ugly old women would be jealous of young god-like naked men too because they know such men don't want to look at such old hags and certainly old prudes can't have such young gods. Clothing is an equalizer: all humans don't look equally beautiful in the flesh.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; May 30, 2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old May 30, 2021, 02:51 PM   #11
Hawg

My day to day attire is my deer hunting attire. Jeans and a T shirt. If it's cold enough I wear an unbuttoned quilted flannel shirt in either blue or green.
Old May 30, 2021, 02:59 PM   #12
AlongCameJones

My NRA SAFE HUNTER patch was on my vest.
Old May 30, 2021, 03:47 PM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

Last deer season in Southern Virginia was yet again very Warm. All the way through the Dec. season. 2nd year in a row I never once wore my normal Winter Hunting coat. I always watch the weather. I go pretty far back in and the worst thing I can do is have to shed any clothing or wish I had more.
The Deer in Virginia also seem to be smarter than the average. They can actually see the color Blue, and they sure know how to use that nose of theirs. Camo and scent blocker are a must. Always a good back pack with all the essentials including a Poncho and extra pair of socks. (and enough food if I have to spend the night in the swamps). A poncho is one of the most handy items every made.
Old May 30, 2021, 06:49 PM   #14
AlongCameJones

Pendleton makes all wool shirts and all cotton shirts still. They no longer make that red/black plaid that I'm wearing in my OP photo, damm mitt!
Old May 30, 2021, 07:12 PM   #15
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I wear about the same thing 365 if I can. Jean or Cargos, a T-Shirt and a Hoodie. I'll throw on my orange vest with my gear in it and add the rifle and ready to go. When it gets too warm, ditch the hoodie. If really cold, swap it out of a heavier hoodie.
I'm with mark!
Old May 30, 2021, 10:33 PM   #16
HiBC

My experience since the latter 1960's has been in northern Colorado. I live at 5000 ft and have hunted to 10,000 ft + .

Mountain weather Oct through Nov can go from clear,sunny,and comfortable in your Pendleton shirt and jeans to a white out snow squall in a couple of hours...Or even less if it sneaks over a ridge.
Expect to deal with Cold/wet ,then wind ,and freezing cold...On a day that starts out balmy.

And I've seen visibility drop to about 30 feet as tracks and trails are snowed over. What adds to the fun is that sort of weather blocks satellite signals. The GPS quits.

Your Pendleton shirt is good.

I don't use cotton jeans or the typical cotton based hoodie. Those get wet they might kill you. I will use a PolarTec type fleece hoody.

I'm not concerned about how my costume looks or whether anyone approves.

I need a breathable (semi) waterproof uninsulated mountain parka shell. I say "semi waterproof" because Gore-tex ,etc will leak... but IMO.they are great.They block wind,shed water,and even Alaskan mosquitos can't bite through them. Some of them are noisy. Cabelas sells some that has a soft ,quiet finish.
For a few bucks you can get a GI field jacket liner. They made one for the Arctic Parka that is an even better find, .Its similar to poncho liner construction. Very light nylon shell,thinsulate fill. Thats a cheap,light,versatile layer. It wont hold water. You can near dry it swinging it over your head. I have an assortment of useful layers,I don't carry them all.
Among them might be Poly-Pro base layer underwear,Polartec jacket or hoody,down or poly fill vest or sweater,etc.

Pants? I have a combination that looks funny,and works for me. In high altitude,elk hunting conditions I took a pair of the heavy weight German army surplus wool battle pants ,and cut them off just below the knee, A seamstress hemmed them for me. I added the rivet-on suspender buttons and Carhart heavy duty suspenders. Under those I have PolyPro long johns covered by lightweight wind resistant running pants. I like that its light weight below the knee and does not absorb water or freeze.
The blanket weight wool "knickers" look funny. OK. They have cargo pockets,and sure are nice for sitting down. They are silent. Not far off from the German Mountaneer's Lederhosen.

I like the Danner Pronghorn boots and Merino wool sox. I use the mesh orange vests. I like light boots.

I don't claim thats the ultimate, but with that ,and of course hat,gloves,etc, I can hunt out of a small tent in a wilderness area at approx 9000 ft in Colorado Oct/Nov for a week at a time. By Wilderness I mean a Wilderness area,and all I have is what came in on my back. There is no going back to the pickup or running to town.
Gear has to be well chosen and it has to work. I know because I've done it. More than once.

Y'all know how to dress yourselves. A lot depends on environment and whether its a day trip and type of hunt. If a tee shirt and jeans works for you,have fun!!

Last edited by HiBC; May 31, 2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:53 PM   #17
Scorch

My hunting garb may sound old-fashioned but I like it. Merino wool underwear, Pendleton wool shirt, gore-Tex jacket, gore-tex brush-buster pants, Danner uninsulated gore-tex boots, merino wool socks, wool watch cap or gore-tex boonie, wool gloves. I hunt at about 5000' in WA state, so it can be cold in the morning and warmish by noon, or just cold, or cold and wet/snowy. No matter what, I'm ready for it. A fanny pack or rucksack carries my necessities. If I had to, I could spend the night afield without undue hardship. In fact, I have a few times.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:32 AM   #18
ms6852

Never have worn camo other than in the army. I use the canvas type pants to protect myself from the cactus plants in West Texas.
Old May 31, 2021, 06:02 PM   #19
Pathfinder45

If you choose the right colors, plaid makes good camo without the camo-image. Where I live, blaze-orange is not required, so I don't wear it. If they can't see you, they can't hit you.
Old May 31, 2021, 06:55 PM   #20
Mainah

I treat my hunting gear with permethrin and keep it sealed when not in use because I've got a cat, and that stuff is toxic to them. None of my gear is cotton, a case of hypothermia after wearing Carhart logging pants and a cotton hoodie in frozen rain taught me a lesson.
Old June 1, 2021, 10:08 AM   #21
The Happy kaboomer

From August 15th to first frost I hunt with a tee shirt-shorts and tennis shoes from fixed tower stands.
Old June 1, 2021, 11:47 AM   #22
HiBC

If this link works,it will get you elk camp 2007.
The day before,we hauled it in via backpacks.It took some hours.
The day we packed it in,it was nice! Warm! The forest floor was dry,brown pine needles. No snow!!
All that fell overnight,and there was big time lightning and thunder on top of us
all night.

I'm just saying mountain hunting requires being prepared. It might be different than what you are used to.

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3f&oe=60DBCF30

Last edited by HiBC; June 1, 2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old June 3, 2021, 04:47 PM   #23
Rifletom

Decent boots/socks, Wranglers, some sort of shirt that applies to the temps and blaze orange cap. No fashion show here.
Old June 3, 2021, 06:00 PM   #24
jmr40

Quote:
I use the canvas type pants to protect myself from the cactus plants in West Texas.
Quote:
I'm just saying mountain hunting requires being prepared. It might be different than what you are used to.
Where, what, and how you hunt matters. What works in one place could get you killed somewhere else.

100% cotton is a deal killer for me anywhere. I've been caught in a rainstorm 5 miles from the truck while turkey hunting when temps were in the upper 50's. With all cotton and a light breeze that is cold enough to kill you from hypothermia.

Of course wool works, but today we have better, less expensive synthetic options. It doesn't have to be 100% synthetic. I've found pants with a 60/40 cotton/synthetic fabric to work pretty well.

Winston Churchill
Old June 4, 2021, 01:21 AM   #25
bamaranger

attire

I made my first deer hunt in 1970, age 12 . If you were well dressed, you were in a Woolrich suit, , black/red plaid, the Pennsylvania Tuxedo. Even then, a fluorescent orange cap was required (I think, if not, soon after). I got a red/black Woolrich set as an early Christmas gift about age 16 or so. Out grew that in about 10 years. Still have my Dad's XL buffalo plaid coat which I can wear if I don't put any layers under it, but I do not hunt in it, just to town on really cold days.

Alabama requires a fluorescent orange cap (100 sq inches) during gun deer hunts. I've always felt a bit silly wearing camo and an orange hat! As a dedicated bow hunter, I can hunt certain tracts of land closed to gun hunting and not be required to wear orange. A brown camo wool jacket, and GI Korean War era wool OD pants are the norm, with layers of fleece or poly as weather requires. The dang GI pants are tough as nails, warm and quiet.