The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2022, 12:45 PM   #1
Ukrainitz

Stoeger M2000 firing problem

Bought this gun about 15 years ago. Fired 3 shells, and put it away. Forgot I had this thing so took it out to clay shoot a month ago. Nothing. Firing pin was not hitting primer. Took apart. ( The lube they used had turned to tar over the years, so I poured boiling water on all internal parts to remove the tar.) Made sure I thoroughly cleaned all bolt assembly parts and everything else. Lubed it up, and assembled. Not fixed. I could see there was not even an indent on the primer. Not even a small one. Just a click and no boom.
Old January 9, 2022, 01:09 PM   #2
MarkCO

You are going to need a solvent of some sort. Disasemble the bolt, use some Contact Cleaner or Non-Chlorinated Brake parts cleaner...outside with gloves. Hose it down, use a brush, until clean.
Old January 11, 2022, 04:44 PM   #3
BornFighting88

Best solution for too much gunk I have found is WD-40 soak. Then compressed air to push all the goo and crap out. Then clean as normal and then oil/lube. Should be fine.
Old January 11, 2022, 05:05 PM   #4
MarkCO

WD40 could be why he has the mess in the first place. Awful stuff for guns.
Old January 12, 2022, 03:32 PM   #5
Scorch

First, fully disassemble and clean the bolt (it's unclear from the post if you disassembled or tried to clean in place). If there is no indent on the primer, figure out if the firing pin is long enough to go through the bolt (push on the back of the firing pin while holding y0ur finger over the bolt face), then figure out if the hammer is striking the firing pin (you can look inside through the bolt handle cutout while the bolt is closed). They're a good design with poor execution. I have slicked up a few of the older M2000s, but they're a mixed bag of good ones and bad ones. That happens when you have guns made by the lowest bidder.