The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 17, 2004, 11:48 PM   #1
viper_IRIGHTI

Stole a Sig SAUR p226 Navy From Gander Mountain

Well not really, but...I think this is a pretty good deal, but let me know. I was just at Gander Mountain today to pick up some gift cards for Christmas. Of course, I had to stop by the gun counter and check out the eye candy. I have been researching the p226 Navy for some time now and have come to the conclusion that they are pretty hard to come by. I asked the clerk about it and under his breath, he told me he happened to have one used. Get this, he knows the guy that sold it to GM. The previous owner is actually a SEAL. An employee at GM had the gun reserved for himself but hasn't bought it in the month it has been setting on the shelf. Anyway, GM will sell me a used (one mag though it) P226 Navy with the two 10rd mags it came with along with three 15rd mags. The gun comes with the Hogue wraparound grips. The gun is going for $614 out the door. Now, what do you think about the the sale. Is it good enough for a used gun?
Old December 18, 2004, 11:33 AM   #2
griptheweasel

Sounds like a good deal, but your post begs the question... did you get any good Christmas cards?!
Old December 18, 2004, 02:26 PM   #3
abelew

Good deal for that gun, but was it a 9mm?
Old December 18, 2004, 03:02 PM   #4
IZinterrogator

If it wasn't a 9mm...

... then he might want to think twice before trying to jam 15 rounds of .40 into those standard cap mags.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old December 18, 2004, 06:18 PM   #5
Ozzieman

It did sound like a very good deal,,, but

When your working with a company like gander hill you are talking to nothing more than an untrained used car sales men.
I worked in a gun store for 15 years one of the largest in town, (over 200,000 people) I have a love for guns that makes me want to know more, to constantly learn every thing that I can.
We also have a Gander hill in our town and I must say that I am not impressed at all, they know nothing at all about guns and have the honiesty of a used car sales,
That dosent mean that you diddnt get a good deal<<<<>>>>IF the guns functions properly.
Personaly I think that you were fed a line of BULL and might have a pig. I hope not and Sig's are known for there quality. But the story sounds a little to much gander bull.
The price was right, I hope you did ok with the deal.
One question, did they suggest that there in store "GUN SMITH" tune it up for you?
Remember Gander mountain is the Target of gun stores
Old December 19, 2004, 12:13 AM   #6
AUG

I am shocked!

A gun store commando is talking bad about used car salesmen!

Neither are held in high regard but I bet a car salesman can spell the word "honest". Car salesmen are stereotyped as dishonest and gun store workers are stereotyped as idiots. Tit for tat I guess.

I guess even the "bottom feeders" have to fight over who is closest to the bottom of the lake.

As for the story you were told it sounds like crap to me. A Navy Seal just happened to trade in a 226 Navy? Yeah, ok.
Old December 19, 2004, 02:23 AM   #7
Walter

I agree with AUG...

...on one point. The story about a SEAL trading in a gun sounds a little
"off" to me. From what I know about SEALs, and from what I know from
the one SEAL I know personally, they do not need to buy guns. The
Navy furnishes them with just about any type of weapon they want, for
either professional OR personal use. Which, when you are a SEAL, I
think sometimes the two overlap.
I don't know about the particular gun in question, as far as a good price,
but I would not give much credence to the "SEAL" story.
Just my 2 cents.
Old December 19, 2004, 03:24 AM   #8
mattd

Hmm...I just sent in a check to an online source for a New Navy a few days ago, and YES they are priced appropriately for a limited edition NIB P226.

Aren't ALL Navy's 9mm? Was there a Navy made in .40? TMR the "Navy" part of the P226 was that it was 9mm only like other NATO stuff, as opposed to "normal" P226s which were available in .40 S&W, 9mm and maybe even .357 Sig if I recall. Somebody correct me on this.

MD
Old January 6, 2005, 01:34 PM   #9
tbradford

This is about the going rate for a P226 Navy with the number of mags you would be getting, as long as it was in good shape and didn't have to many rounds fired through it. If you can't identify the amount of wear and tear yourself, have the sale be contingent on the review of an independant gunsmith. Check Gunbroker.com to see what people are asking for weapons, which is always lower than the suggested retail price.

Last edited by tbradford; January 7, 2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old January 6, 2005, 02:33 PM   #10
IanS

There always seems to be more phonies claiming to be Navy SEAL than real ones.