The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2011, 02:35 AM   #1
columbia_shotguneer

my new shotgun for deer

i am going today to look for a certain single shot shotgun i saw on gunbroker.com, tell me what yall think. I am thinking about getting an HR singleshot 12 ga. with a 26 inch inch barrel. I am using either 00 buck or #4 buckshot this last deerhunting trip in south alabama. does anyone know any goods or bads about my proposed setup and also generally speaking is a 26 inch barrel best for patterning loads with a mod or full choke? This is my 1st post, howdy all!
Old January 12, 2011, 03:47 AM   #2
PIGMAN

New England Firearms makes excellent rifles and shotguns. They make two types of extractors. One is spring loaded and is intended to eject the spent shell clear of the gun. The other extractor option lifts the shell clear of the chamber and you remove it from the gun with your fingers.The spring loaded ejector fails when the shell case swells and gets stuck in the chamber the non-spring loaded type ejects the shell from the chamber no matter what. So I think you will be much happier with the non-spring loaded ejector option especially if you need a second follow-up shot.As far as the best barrel length for hunting deer, I live in a state where we use rifles for hunting deer and have no idea.You can;however, buy extra barrels direct from N.E.F. for about $100 and have extra barrels for hunting other game with you N.E.F. shotgun as well.
Old January 12, 2011, 03:57 AM   #3
columbia_shotguneer

great info pigman, btw I already own 2 shotguns with 28 in. barrels but have my sites set on a HR with the 26 inch barrel, hope it patterns buckshot well.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:10 AM   #4
pabuckslayer08

Sounds good, should pattern the buckshot pretty well I would think. I do have a question for you though, why not shoot slugs? Lot more range
Old January 12, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
mete

If you're limited to shot then only use 00 buck and stick to shots within about 25 yds.
Long barrels don't give you any benefit , 20" will work fine.
Old January 12, 2011, 09:15 AM   #6
johnbt

Although the longer barrel will weigh a little more and kick a little less. I'm too old for really light 12 gauges.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Scout

I've got the gun you describe with a full choke. It patterns 00 buck well out to 50 yards or so. It's also a great small game getter. Mine has the ejector as opposed to the extractor. I really like the way it pops that empty out of the way. I also like to tote that gun around because it's so light. Of course recoil is fairly robust.
Old January 12, 2011, 05:40 PM   #8
columbia_shotguneer

Thanks guys for all the great info and ideas. I contacted 4 local gun dealers and in the HR 12 gauge all they had were the 12 gauge in 28 in. mod or full choke. I talked to all of them and they all steered my toward the modified choke. Also, I may add all of the gun dealers said the 26 in. barrel shotguns in HR would have to be special ordered and they run 30 dollars more than the 28 in. models. I hope I am happy with the modified choke and it patterns buckshot well. Tomorrow I am going to order some #1 and 4's in buckshot. Will let you people know which one patterns the best. Thanks
Old January 12, 2011, 05:47 PM   #9
columbia_shotguneer

Forgot to mention I'll be hunting whitetail deer and hogs with the buckshot loads I choose.
Old February 17, 2011, 10:50 PM   #10
columbia_shotguneer

well i left a few more deer wounded in the woods than i planned. i did rack the deer season with 4 does and an 5 pointer using buckshot. the furthest shot was 60 yards and i dropped the does with 2 balls of #1 buckshot. Now I am currently hunting wild hogs with oo buck, no luck as of now.
Old February 18, 2011, 09:37 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry about the wounded deer, for them. You may need to rethink your ranges and shot angles.

Also, I'm no hog hunter,but those I know skip buck and go with slugs. Al Thompson of this board posted about 00 failing to penetrate the gristle boars have over the neck and shoulder area.

OTOH, Brenekke slugs were developed by Otto Brenekke for European boar, you may want to try out some and see.........
Old February 18, 2011, 08:45 PM   #12
columbia_shotguneer

Dave McC good point you make, I am asking questions as of now in a different thread regarding slugs. I want to find out more about slugs, particularly foster type.