The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 23, 2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Sean46953

Just bought a Mauser M96-American, optics question!

So, as the title says, I just bought a Mauser M96-American. I have been after one of these odd things for a few years now. Problem I have is the action is so long that the rings and bases (it came with them) are so fare apart I don't have a scope on hand that will work. (all too short in the tube. Rough life. lol) So, i have several questions stemming from this. One, what bases do they use? I have heard Rem. 700's. If that is the case, will a single piece Picatinny rail for a Rem. 700 work? If so, long or short 700?

Alternatively, if you have a M96-American, what's your optic set-up? Bases, rings, and optic?

Last route, I would like something variable maxing at 12-16x and as I am working on a couple projects, I would like to stay under $200 so low end is fine, or good used Nikon, or entry Leupold would be best. Any one have any in mind? So far, I think they will need to be near 6'' long in the tube at 1'' diameter.

Thanks in advance!