The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 4, 2013, 08:02 PM   #226
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
There are some time, place, and manner restrictions on 1A rights. There will probably also always be some on 2A rights. The question to hash out now is, where do we draw the lines?
The "common sense" answer is to prohibit weapons in prisons, jails, the lockup area of police stations and sheriffs' offices, and (probably) courtrooms and pre-trial holding facilities. Period.

Private property owners should be allowed to post their properties as off-limits to firearms.

HOWEVER, any facility, gov't or private, which prohibits the carrying of weapons should be required to have an adequate number of secured lockers at EACH ENTRANCE where visitors can secure their weapons while inside. ALSO, private facilities should, by statute, be strictly liable for any injury to a patron which could conceivably have been prevented had the patron been armed.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old February 18, 2014, 09:57 AM   #227
Spats McGee
Staff

I realize that this thread is a little old, but it seems to have been our most active one related to CC developments in Illinois of late.

Aaaaannnyway, I ran across this in a link posted by Tom Servo: SB2669
Quote:
Amends the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Provides that a person shall not carry a concealed firearm onto private real property of any type without prior permission from the property owner. Provides that a real property owner shall indicate permission to carry concealed firearms onto the property by clearly and conspicuously posting a sign at the entrance of a building, premises, or real property under his or her control, except this posting is not required if the property is a private residence. Provides that the sign shall be at least 4 inches by 6 inches in size (rather than exactly that size). Effective immediately.
Wow. I'm not even sure where to begin. My gut reaction is that this is just going to be one of many attempts to gut CC in Illinois.
Old February 18, 2014, 07:07 PM   #228
Mike38

You need a sign that says you can carry? No sign, or a sign that says you can’t carry, and you can’t? Is it just me, or is everyone else confused? Exactly where can you carry? Your home and your car, and that’s it? Looks like it's back to the Court Room to solve this one.
Old February 18, 2014, 07:52 PM   #229
Jim March

Can you say "Mens Rea? What's that?"

Sigh.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:54 PM   #230
Armed_Chicagoan

It has no chance of passing, or even getting a vote. The NRA lobbyist for Illinois (Todd Vandermyde) is not even bothering fighting it. Just Sen. Don Harmon (D-People's Republic of Oak Park) throwing red meat to his anti-gun constituents.

But if you have a strong stomach, and nothing fragile and valuable nearby, read this... http://www.oakpark.com/News/Articles...gn%3F-No-guns/
Old February 19, 2014, 03:35 AM   #231
jimpeel

I can say "Men's restroom" in Spanish.

This flies in the face of every other state law which allows businesses to opt out but this law would require that they opt in. So in the absence of a sign, CCW holders are persona non grata.

What is the penalty for getting caught up in this stupid law? Enough to lose your CCW and possibly your firearms rights as well?

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey

Last edited by jimpeel; February 19, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old February 19, 2014, 05:31 AM   #232
DT Guy

They actually tried to amend the original law (our governor, "Duh" Quinn, at least did) to read this way. It was struck down in the override.

Yeah, they just don't get it. But in two months, folks will be walking around Illinois with guns, and it's going to make them insane.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old February 20, 2014, 08:32 PM   #233
KyJim

According to Harmon (per the article linked to by Armed_Chicagoan):
Quote:
Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart has reported that of nearly 9,500 county residents who applied for five-year concealed carry permits since early January, 300 had records for domestic violence, gang activity, gun crimes, sex crimes, burglary and other criminal activity.Yet, the Illinois State Police had given initial approval to all but five of those applicants for concealed carry (Chicago Sun-Times, Feb. 12, 2014).
That has to be a B.S. statistic. He says 300 had "records." I wonder if he is counting misdemeanors and traffic offenses or if the 300 is totally fabricated.
Old February 20, 2014, 09:07 PM   #234
Armed_Chicagoan

I would bet anything that 95% of Dart's objections are overruled by the review board. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is objecting to people with the same name as prohibited persons, or people who have been arrested but not convicted of crimes.

I submitted my concealed carry application last week, maybe Dart will object on the basis of the speed camera warning I got a few weeks ago.
Old February 21, 2014, 02:02 PM   #235
jimpeel

300 out of 9,500 is not beyond the pale.

300/9500=.031 or 3.1%.

As noted, some of those are going to be found to be same name or no conviction so will be approved upon further investigation/appeal.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old February 21, 2014, 04:19 PM   #236
KyJim

Quote:
300 out of 9,500 is not beyond the pale.
That's not the outrageous part and it's not beyond the pale until you consider the fact that state police gave initial approval to all but five of these 300. That is a 5,900% error rate made by the sheriff (295/5). That figure is SO far off, it can only mean two things: (1) they counted a bunch of things they shouldn't have like arrests without convictions, misdemeanors, etc. or (2) they simply picked a number out of the hat. Either way, it shows the sheriff is engaged in disingenuous propaganda.
Old February 21, 2014, 04:45 PM   #237
jimpeel

Quote:
Yet, the Illinois State Police had given initial approval to all but five of those applicants for concealed carry
I can assume that the initial approval was before the results of the background checks came back denying the approval.

I can give an initial approval based on the completion of the forms, accuracy, and the content of the forms such as denial of priors. That is but a single step in the process. Where the denial happens is in the next step which would be the background check.

Jus' sayin'.

Old February 21, 2014, 09:23 PM   #238
Armed_Chicagoan

"I can assume that the initial approval was before the results of the background checks came back denying the approval."

All applicants for an FCCL in Illinois must have a valid FOID card. FOID card holders in Illinois are given a background check every single day, and the card is revoked if anything is found making one ineligible. And the requirements for a FOID card are very similar to those required for a FCCL, it's extremely unlikely that Dart has found so many people who have slipped through the cracks.
Old February 22, 2014, 12:18 AM   #239
KyJim

Quote:
I can assume that the initial approval was before the results of the background checks came back denying the approval.
I didn't read it that way. I read it that the background check cleared but final approval (processing, etc.) hasn't yet been given.
Old February 22, 2014, 02:10 AM   #240
Armed_Chicagoan

Actually the steps are "Under Review" > "Approved or Denied".

If a local law enforcement agency objects it's "Under Review" > "Under Board Review" > "Approved or Denied".

Many applications have already been approved, believe it or not the only reason the licenses haven't been sent out yet is that they did not like the card stock they received to print them on and the Illinois State Police employees don't know how to use the printer yet... you can't make this stuff up!

Supposedly first ones will be mailed the first week of March.
Old February 24, 2014, 01:57 PM   #241
bitttorrrent

Ha, sounds about right. If you actually go down there where I had to go to get my FOID, you would understand.

No offense to those in law enforcement, but it is a government facility and is a bit of a disaster zone with high tech items (new printer I guess) and still amounts of paperwork still hand written down. Unbelievable.

But to their credit, I needed an address change with my FOID last month and a new card appeared very fast. Like 3-4 weeks. I was impressed.

I have not taken extra courses yet for my concealed carry, but my brother and I will soon. What were the requirements again and can you use any prior courses (like to get the FOID card) as part of you training hours?
Old February 24, 2014, 05:56 PM   #242
Mike38

Bitttorrent, you should be able to find all the needed info here.

https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/public/home.aspx
Old February 26, 2014, 11:47 PM   #243
bitttorrrent

Right, it's all there.
There is a page that lists what prior courses you have taken. Looks like I can use 8hrs from NRA course I took, so just need 8hr course.
thanks.
Old March 1, 2014, 03:06 PM   #244
Armed_Chicagoan

And Illinois gun owners are reporting their long-awaited concealed carry permits hit their mail boxes today!

I think I have a month at least before I get mine, I applied 5 weeks after the first applicants did.
Old March 14, 2014, 10:53 PM   #245
jimbob86

It warms my heart to know that Shall Issue CCW is a fact in Illinois!

Kudos to those who fought for what many said was impossible, and won!
Old March 17, 2014, 06:13 AM   #246
nate45

All along, for the 10+ years I've lived in IL, I've carried a handgun unloaded and in a case in my vehicles. Thats a 6" 629-1, and a speed loader, its really not that much slower. Plus I have an AR and 300 rounds in the trunk. All legal in IL.

Edit: Yes, the console was ruled by the courts to be the same as a case.
Old March 17, 2014, 07:20 AM   #247
Davey

I have my IL carry gun in my center console as well only your gun is bigger and car faster. Mine is a Mercedes though so I got that going for me.
Old March 17, 2014, 01:39 PM   #248
nate45

I'm going to shoot my CCW qualifying score with this .38 S&W with a laser.

Old April 5, 2014, 01:21 PM   #249
Armed_Chicagoan

And we already have the first documented DGU by a concealed carry licensee in Chicago just 1 month after the first licenses hit mailboxes:
Quote:
A 53-year-old South Austin man with a valid concealed carry permit was able to shoot at two men who tried to accost him outside of his home early this morning.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2472485.story

No charges are being filed.
Old April 5, 2014, 07:56 PM   #250
BobCat45

Outstanding!

Never thought I'd live long enough to read about a concealed carry license holder shooting at bad guys in the Chicago paper.

Still not sorry I left there, but it sounds like the situation is better than it was. The FOID was a pain in the neck but it was the law and I'd never lived anywhere else so I thought it was normal.