The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
bspillman

Hi-point

guys are these worth having? I'm looking for a bed side gun and range toy.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
9mm

no not bed side, but for the range okay? buy used $99 I want one for a POS/shower gun lol
Old March 4, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
droptrd

Is the price the reason you are looking at them?
Old March 4, 2013, 03:44 PM   #4
K_Mac

Asking this question is akin to asking what caliber is the best for self defense; it will stir up plenty of folks.

The couple that I have played with do a fine job for a cheap pistol. My father-in-law has a 9mm that goes bang every time and is reasonably accurate. They have a lifetime warranty and good customer service by all accounts. Are they worth the money? Yes, IMO. Would you be better spending a little more on a used pistol from another company? Probably. Good luck.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
chris in va

Bspillman, I suggest a search for 'hipoint' be done. Plenty of reading on the subject. This type of thread invariably devolves into an argument.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6
bspillman

Let me say i have other pistols, i never have had a hi point. i hear good things and bad things, am i going to take on the mob with it No, i want it as a back up bedside and a fun range gun.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:50 PM   #7
9mm

I am waiting for the Hi-point in 22lr =)
Old March 4, 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
guncheese

mine goes bang when i pull the trigger and hits what i tell it to bang at, rapid fire slow fire round nose hollow point it just doesnt care.
nice gun ? no
good gun ? yes
Old March 4, 2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Yung.gunr

If that's all the $$ you have to spend on it, then its definitely better than a sharp stick or baseball bat.
Would it be better to go get a used one of better quality? Probably, but then again you would probably still spend more than you would on a Hi Point.

In all fairness, Ive never owned or shot one. I've held one and that was enough for me..

However, my Mother is talking about getting a gun for her home. Due to her ability (inability I guess) to budget and save I recommended a Hi Point. It is likely the only way she would actually get a gun.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:47 PM   #10
TailGator

These are discussed fairly frequently on TFL. The usual trend is that the people who actually own one think they are pretty reliable and worth the price, and the people who like to repeat what they read on the net run them down.

They are big and heavy and butt-ugly, but they seem to work OK, judging from the reports of folks who actually have them and shoot them. I don't own one, but I am personally glad that there is a choice out there for folks who can't afford a more expensive pistol, and for other folks who just want to goof around with them.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:56 PM   #11
Gaerek

Quote:
I don't own one, but I am personally glad that there is a choice out there for folks who can't afford a more expensive pistol, and for other folks who just want to goof around with them.
This.

It's like saying Kia is a bad brand of cars, then listing the Lexus, the Mercedes, and Range Rover you own. Kia makes decent cars that go Vroom when you turn the key. It allows people who can't afford more, to get a reliable vehicle. Hi-Points are the same way. They have a reputation as a gang banger gun, but in reality, they go bang when the trigger is pulled (or so I gather, never owned one) and they won't break the bank. They allow someone who can't afford better the ability to protect themselves. I think that's a pretty awesome thing.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:07 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you do a search for previous posts on the Hi Point, ignore the ones that begin "I have never owned or even seen one but they are no good and only my $7000 pistol is worth having..."

Jim
Old March 4, 2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Hansam

Hi-Points...

They're ugly and heavy but they work. They go bang when you squeeze the trigger and have a round chambered. You can feed them basically any ammo and they'll shoot it so long as its the right caliber. They're reasonably accurate - make that very accurate - considering the price you're paying.

Can you get better for the money? NO. Can you get better for more money? YES. Can you get worse for more money? YES.

You can go out and spend twice as much as you would on a Hi-Point and get worse. In fact to get a better gun than a Hi-Point you'd have to spend 2.5x or more to get a better handgun and even then you might get crap depending on what you get.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:33 PM   #14
ttarp

They're cheap enough just buy one and have fun with it.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:04 PM   #15
9mm

Secretly a alien pistol, design to deflect alien ray beams (due to shape of gun) everyone should own one.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:10 PM   #16
allaroundhunter

Re: Hi-point

I don't own one, but a friend does and I have shot it on a couple of occasions. It is a C9 I believe, and it actually shoots pretty well. Pretty? Definitely not. Worth the price? Yea, I'd say so... I actually witnessed this friend shoot (and kill) a coyote at 125 yards with his this past Christmas... But he could have gotten that lucky with any gun
Old March 4, 2013, 06:37 PM   #17
4runnerman

I can chime in with real knowledge on these things- Ugly,Heavy for sure... Dependable--Beyond imagination. You can basically beat the (you know what out of them) and they will still work. After seeing what has been done to them by Hi Point haters trying to get them to fail and end up not being able to get them to fail. IMHO--You can not buy a more dependable pistol any where. You can't buy a uglier one either.. If you are going to pound a bolt in the barrel and shoot it or Bury it in the mud or drive over it or play in the water with it or ect ect,,,Get my point--Get a HI Point it will always function.
If those things are not important to you and all you want is a pretty looking pistol for people to admire--Get a Kimber
Old March 4, 2013, 06:44 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
no not bed side, but for the range okay?
I am going to say the exact opposite. The first Centerfire pistol I bought was a Kahr T9(what a start, I know). The manual says fire 200 rounds to be reliable. I fired 400. By the time I was done I decide this was a REALLY good exercise with any new gun that would be used defensively.

A while later I bought a Hipoint 9mm for $100 b/c at that price I couldn't pass it up. 400 rounds later, my hand was borderline throbbing, the webbing between my thumb and index finger was raw, and everything up to my elbow didn't feel so good. This is no exaggeration. I took a friend to the range with me and he fired at least 1/3 of those 400 rounds!
The gun fired every trigger pull except for a few time I limp wristed it(and obviously it fired then , but did not feed).
Since the manufacturer is in Dayton they are a lot more common in Ohio than other places I think. I have been around a few and they have all run well. I have heard of people with problems, but what I don't hear about is people sending it back to the factory 3-4 times and still not having a working gun. Every story I have heard the owner pays shipping back, Hipoint sends a working gun and some bonus accessories back in a week or two at no charge.
I have even known people who did things like try to stipple the grip, used something bad to clean it and took off the finish or melted plastic parts and hi-point fixed it for free.

The C9 is almost the exact same size of my G27. Of course, my G27 is a double stack. I would NEVER consider a 40SW.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HiPoint/ I won't say it is a great resource, but it is at least humorous. Scan down through some of the posts and you will be amazed by some of the $600 hi-points.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 4, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:57 PM   #19
fallingrock71

Worth having? Absolutely. Bedside gun? Certainly not my first choice, but yes I'd trust with my life with mine. Range toy? Heck yeah!

I'd be glad to tell you all about my experiences with mine and my friends HiPoints if you need some pointers. There is tons of info on the net about these.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:05 PM   #20
adamc

I had the pleasure of shooting the 45acp pistol. It worked way better
than the price tag.
My son got (for xmas) a 995ts carbine. It shoots well and is very fun
When the ammo crunch is over I can see a 45acp carbine in my stable.

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 4, 2013, 07:14 PM   #21
loltraktor1918

I have had 2. Both 9mm and I never had any problems with either. I will probably get another in due course. As already pointed out, they are not pretty, but in my experience they are better than a kick in the nuts.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Tickling

Quote:
but in my experience they are better than a kick in the nuts.
I hope you don't work for an advertising company, because that is not a glowing recommendation...

I've only ever shot a HiPoint 9mm carbine. I liked it, it was better than a kick in the nuts by far
Old March 4, 2013, 08:12 PM   #23
lamarw

I have a rather old Haskell .45, and I think they still make pistols for Hi-Point. All I can say is it does go bang when I pull the trigger. That is, if I have the strength to hold my arm up from the weight. It is certainly a two hand hold or lift (LOL).

It can also serve proudly as an anchor for my Nitro bass boat.

Hi-Point says they will repair or replace it if it ever fails to shoot no matter how many owners prior to me or after me if I should snag and loose it on the bottom of Lake Martin, AL.

It is named the "Poor Man's Glock" since it is so darn ugly, and sort of resembles a glock from a distance. It may of been a steel mock-up for Glock production.

All of the above is stated in jest and with some truth.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:18 PM   #24
osbornk

My C9 goes bang every time I pull the trigger and it is more accurate that I am. My son-in-law came over the other day with his Glock 17 to show me how "real" guns are better than the Hi-Point. His Glock jammed and my Hi-Point didn't. The Glock is much prettier and lighter but he spent more on the accessories for his gun than I paid for mine.

If you want reliable, accurate and cheap, get a Hi-Point. It's ugly but I'm not going to marry it, I'm going to shoot it.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:22 PM   #25
t45

I keep my High Point 380 in my tool chest next to my hammers. Its not a allowed in my safe. I'm afraid my 1911 might catch something. It does go bang every time though.