The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 2, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Koda94

gun registration?

occasionally I hear people ask if guns are registered... I live in Oregon where guns are not registered, but you must pass the federal background check for new guns.

Then someone told me that new guns are registered because you passed the background check, the details are not thrown away.

is this true? Can someone explain the difference to me if not
Old December 2, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Don H

The FFL you bought the firearm from retains the federal form 4473 that you completed for 20 years. If the firearm you bought turns up at a crime scene or some such, it can be traced, via the serial number, by the feds from the manufacturer, to the distributor, to the dealer and then from the dealer to you.

When the background check is made, no information about the firearm is given to the FBI other than stating whether it is a handgun or a long gun. If your state does not maintain a regictry, then the firearm is not registered. Some people misunderstand the background check process and believe the check registers the firearm to them.
Old December 2, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Koda94

thanks Don, that pretty much clarifies my question, I just did not know where to look for the answer.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:54 PM   #4
JimDandy

Which means, if you have a private sale, I'd make sure I issed a receipt and keep my copy.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:44 PM   #5
hermannr

Quote:
Which means, if you have a private sale, I'd make sure I issed a receipt and keep my copy.
And why do you say that? There is no legal reason for any record of a private transaction. If by some very very remote chance that a weapon that you previously owned is improperly used...They ask, and you tell them...I sold it...It is not for you to prove you sold it...it is for them to prove you did not, (if tehy want to waste the time)

How come so many on these firearms forums do not understand "innocent until proven guilty" It is a fundamental principle of law in our country.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:09 PM   #6
OuTcAsT

Quote:

How come so many on these firearms forums do not understand "innocent until proven guilty" It is a fundamental principle of law in our country.

It is supposed to be a fundamental principal in the U.S. But, it more commonly works the other way around.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old December 5, 2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Koda94

Quote:
They ask, and you tell them...I sold it...It is not for you to prove you sold it...
and its not for them to take you off the suspect list.... especially if you are the only suspect, put yourself in the shoes of the detective. Lots of people have gone to jail for crimes they did not commit.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:01 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

The answer is yes, the sale of the gun was registered. The current location and ownership of the gun is not registered, unless the buyer never moves or sells since the registered sale.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:16 PM   #9
JimDandy

Quote:
and its not for them to take you off the suspect list.... especially if you are the only suspect, put yourself in the shoes of the detective. Lots of people have gone to jail for crimes they did not commit.
And beyond that, its a fairly responsible action to take. There's no downside. If you never need it, it never matters. If you do need it, when the smelly brown stuff rolls down hill, chances are good it'll miss you with just a little record keeping.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Question!

If I privately sold a gun. I have the bill of sale and everything.

If the person I sold it to shipped it for some custom work and then it was shipped back to him where he then picked it up from an FFL.. Does that mean that the gun is now legally under his name?
Old December 11, 2012, 04:53 PM   #11
hermannr

If by that you mean, there is a record of sale? as that is what Licensed dealers have.

For all of the BoS types...I have quite a few firearms of all types, I am a bit of a collector,..However, only three have ever seen an FFL Some I purchased before 1968, some we gifted to me before 1968, some afterwards, some were inherited, some were purchased privately...only one is actually "registered" to me...in NYS...even though I have not lived in NY for many many years.

Even the FFL books go away in 20 years (that is how long they must be kept)...so what is the big deal about "registration" It is bogus whatever way you look at it.

My firearms are mine...yes, there is a record of them, Photo, when I obtained them, and how, and if purchased, how much...down at my Insurance co...no where else.