The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 7, 2011, 05:56 PM   #1
cackalak

GP100 6" as a CCW!

Ok, not an everyday concealed weapon. I go Bowhunting in the fall and would like to carry. In my state, no open carry, but concealed is ok. Here are my choices currently:

GP100 6"
SP101 2.25"

Obviously, SP will conceal MUCH easier. However, I like the idea of having the GP with 180 grain LFN BuffaloBore ammo in there in case I run into not so friendly critters.

Any of you carried a full size revolver on hunts or hikes? I'm not going to be hiking a ton, but will cover good distances. It will also be at or around fall, so I'll be in a light camo jacket. I was thinking a shoulder holster under that would do the trick.

Thoughts?

EDIT: The SP is .357.
Old June 7, 2011, 05:58 PM   #2
9mm

92fs would be easyer to carry lol. I would pick the SP 101 because it also is in 357mag if thats your model. I know they come in 327 also. If you got the shoulder holster you can do it.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:03 PM   #3
youngunz4life

1st sidearm I bought was a gp100 6" stainless 357 revolver. I got it after I realized the shotgun was great, but we needed more. Later on I realized I needed another handgun for CCW. I use it as a HD firearm and a great sidearm on our acres or as a woodsgun, but not as a CCW. That being said, I bet it is a good CCW for you or whoever else. I never gave it a chance and just bought a snubby. I love the gun, and I bought a great holster for it on www.simplyrugged.com
Old June 7, 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
stevieboy

I would imagine that carrying around something that big and heavy all day would be analogous to strapping a toaster oven to your hip. I have a rig for my 4" N-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers. It's a Sourdough Pancake holster which, I imagine, spreads the weight about as evenly as is possible. I've test run the thing by wearing it and a gun around the house. Two hours is all I can stand. However, if you can tolerate the weight and discomfort, I say go for it.
Old June 7, 2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Cemo

I carry a 6" GP100 in Bianchi's 111 Cyclone Holster. It is a combination strong side and cross draw holster. I carry it cross draw fashion most often.
Old June 7, 2011, 07:18 PM   #6
ohen cepel

Yeah, the Beretta 92 would carry a lot easier, thinner at least. I've carried the 92 IWB a good bit. Not bad with the right gear.

I would give the 6in a try around the house for a while. I carried a Smith 66 2.5in for many years IWB and was fine with it. The extra barrel length and weight may get to you though.

It certainly can be done with the right gear, belt, and holster. However, I don't see me doing it.

I am looking at that same revolver as a woods gun, but it would be open carry if I go that route. May opt for the 4in though.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old June 7, 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Deaf Smith

Quote:
However, I like the idea of having the GP with 180 grain LFN BuffaloBore ammo in there in case I run into not so friendly critters.
From a 6 inch .357 that is the way to go.

Something like 1500 fps I think it would get from a 6 inch tube!

Way ahead of any 9mm.

Deaf
Old June 7, 2011, 09:22 PM   #8
peacefulgary

Quote:
Yeah, the Beretta 92 would carry a lot easier, thinner at least. I've carried the 92 IWB a good bit. Not bad with the right gear.
Actually, the Beretta isn't thinner.

The Beretta at its thickest is 1.5".
The GP100 at its thickest is also 1.5".

If you compare the Beretta to the 4" barrel GP100 they are surprisingly close...

Overall length:
Beretta = 8.5"
Ruger = 9.5"

Height:
Beretta = 5.4"
Ruger = 6"

Barrel length:
Beretta = 4.9"
Ruger = 4.2"

Weight (empty):
Beretta = 33.9 oz.
Ruger = 40 oz.

Personally, I think a 6" GP100 is too big for a CC handgun.
Even the 4" GP100 is still too big to CC in my opinion.
But if one CC's a Beretta, then the 4" GP100 is certainly possible since it really isn't much larger and is nearly the same weight when both are fully loaded.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:22 PM   #9
SRH78

I have never cc'd my GP100 but I don't find the weight to be an issue. When out in the woods, I carry my Super Redhawk everywhere. Next to it, my 6" GP100 feels pretty light. I think for your intended use, it will be fine.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:28 PM   #10
youngunz4life

I love the 180gr hollow points out of my 357's.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:53 PM   #11
cackalak

I think I'll give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, I guess I'll be packing the SP with BB.

Thanks for the inputs.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:56 PM   #12
joneb

For a hunting, fishing, hiking backpacking side arm I carry a 2.75" Ruger Security Six.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:05 PM   #13
Scorpion8

I often carry my 4" GP-100 while hiking, but I load it with "Alaska Backpacker" solid-cast hard lead .357 rounds. I use similar rounds in my Blackhawk .357 and SuperBlackhawk 44 Mag.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:17 PM   #14
cackalak

Scorpion - how do you carry your GP? I'm thinking of a shoulder cross draw holster. I'm figuring a shoulder rig is the only way I'll be able to conceal it.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:22 PM   #15
Scorpion8

Quote:
Scorpion - how do you carry your GP? I'm thinking of a shoulder cross draw holster.
I just carry right-side-right-hand-draw in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick black nylon holster. I forget the size #. It carrys nicely and conforms, so the gun is ready. I carry open for better access, as there's no reason to conceal the fact in the woods. I've never been a fan of should rigs because of a "stout" upper body, and the resulting blockage of arm movement while fishing or hiking. But you should use what feels best and most natural to you.
Old June 7, 2011, 11:56 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

Wheelguns are real guns....

If you want to huff & puff far afield with a 6" Ruger GP revolver, have at it.

I'd lean more towards a simple DA/DA only 3/4" barrel .357magnum that can safely fire powerful hunting loads or magnum rounds.
If your budget/$ allow you could get a custom set-up from www.Geminicustoms.com for a SP101 3.16" or a 4" GP revolver.
A S&W or CZ/Dan Wesson wheelgun could work too.
Mag-Na-Ports or Hybra-ports & maybe a Black-T or Bearcoat treatment would help. www.Bearcoat.com www.Black-T.com

For general carry or field use, I'd look into the well made, practical UM84R Bianchi holster for K/L frame revolvers. It's based on the NATO/military M12 and can be worn several ways on different belts/rigs.
See www.Natchezss.com or www.Bianchi-intl.com .
I purchased a black UM84R holster for my Ruger GPNY revolver in 2006.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:45 AM   #17
Andy Taylor

If you are going to CC that big wheelgun, a vertical shoulder holster is the way to go. I have an old Bianchi that I sometimes use with a 6.5" N frame S&W. It works well.
Old June 8, 2011, 08:37 AM   #18
peacefulgary

Quote:
Quote:
I'm figuring a shoulder rig is the only way I'll be able to conceal it.
I just carry right-side-right-hand-draw in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick black nylon holster.
Yep, believe it or not, the light-weight nylon holsters do work tucked inside the waist-band with a good belt.
I have carried a 4" GP100 with a Blackhawk size 2 nylon holster in the small-of-the-back.
I know that SOB carry is frowned upon by some here but it works fine for me, and has worked fine for many years.
But if you're hiking in rough terrain you might want to wear suspenders too.
Old June 8, 2011, 10:27 AM   #19
cackalak

Clydefrog - These are the guns in my possession and therefore, my only two options. Next gun purchase will be a SRH 4" in 44 mag.

Andy - I'll look into the Bianchi holster.

peacefulgary - I'm not sure if a 6" barrel would work at SOB. I can only imagine the look on people's faces when I bend over to tie my shoe, and a barrel comes ripping through my pants! It's the new self defense weapon - The Butt Gun.

I was thinking last night and contemplated the idea of concealing it in my backpack. Extra 2 lbs in the pack is nothing. I'd maybe cut into the side and install a pouch big enough to hold the gun. Snap closure to secure it. It'd still be very accessible with the pack on (or off). And I'd always have my pack with me, since I will be hunting. I'm going to mull over it some more.
Old June 8, 2011, 11:30 AM   #20
peacefulgary

Hilarious!!!
Old June 8, 2011, 12:01 PM   #21
HighValleyRanch

Take a look at the SafePacker.
It is a holster that doesn't look like a holster and they make them for the 6 inch revolvers.

I also was thinking about some sort of backpack pouch that you could easily access.

That said, I just put a six inch colt official police on my CCW permit, because it is the gun I carry most around the ranch. I found that it can be carried conceal with a bianchi IWB holster at 3:00. The length of the barrel sticks down to the rear of the hip and does not poke out the behind when bending over. The longer barrel actually helps in maintaining the position of the gun's cant, EXCEPT when you are seated for a long time and then you have to readjust the cant. But for hiking around, it is perfect. I also carry it in a forward cant Bianchi hi ride Thumb release OWB holster. With a long shirt of coat, it hides fine and is so comfortable, I can wear it all day.

Finally, I developed my own holster. it is a pancake lowride that distributes the weight of a heavy gun evenly over the belt and hips. Very comfortable and since it is open bottom, I can carry any of my revolvers in this rig. Just stuck my brothers security six with full 6" lug barrel in it and it is super comfortable. Only consideration would be the barrel length showing under a coat, but if open carry is permitted, then the weight or comfort is not the problem.

The only difference between a six inch and four is a few ounces. Not enough to notice in a good holster setup.

Tried should rigs and they move around too much.
Old June 8, 2011, 05:10 PM   #22
microman

Just know that GP 100 is going to feel very heavy if
you are hiking any distances.
Old June 8, 2011, 06:58 PM   #23
Deaf Smith

Quote:
For a hunting, fishing, hiking backpacking side arm I carry a 2.75" Ruger Security Six.
I love that gun Jib! Here is mine (along with its companion.)

Deaf
Old June 8, 2011, 07:38 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

I usually carry my S&W 686 6" when I hunt. It is roughly the same size as the GP. It's heavy but it really isn't too much of an issue. I use a Bianchi OWB holster. You will need a good, heavy leather gun belt to support the weight of the gun. A good belt will really help spread the weight of the gun around.

As far as shoulder holster, I'd guess that you will find it very uncomfortable on long hikes. Hell, I tried to shoulder holster my S&W Airweight and found it very uncomfortable and it was pretty tough to keep the gun and harness in place. Just my .02.

Whatever you buy, if you really plan on hiking with your gun, don't cheap out on your holster / belt / shoulder harness rig.
Old June 8, 2011, 08:52 PM   #25
Viper225

I would probably check Gun Broker for an L Frame X15 Bianchi Shoulder Holster as choice #1. If someone you know has an N Frame X15 check the fit. It would be easier to locate a used N frame holster.
I carry my 6" Model 29 in a Bianchi 5 BHL. Wear a longer camo jacket to cover it.
I carry my 480 Ruger SRH w/7.5" BBL in a Boyt Rectangular Case that I had D rings added to the handles on. I use a carry strap, and carry it like a Possible Bag. Carry it zipper end forward, and access it like a shoulder holster. Works great.

Bob