The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2010, 07:23 PM   #1
270winforlife

Barnes Tipped TSX

Hello all, any good or bad results with Barnes TippedTSX? More specifically, the 130 gr for 270 win? I'm gonna try loading some with RL 19 following the Barnes guidelines. I've read some mixed opinions about the accuracy of Barnes Bullets, but the one group I shot with H4350 and the old X bullets, proved a one shot hole@100 yards.
Old February 2, 2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Qtiphky

I like them

I load the 130's for my 270 Win and love them. Very accurate and you can easily repeat the load. Only shot one deer with it though and it was a through and through at about 100 yards. The deer didn't go far. I also shoot the 150's in my .308 and .300 WSM with the same results. Very accurate and did a nice number on the deer that were shot with them. Didn't recover any of the bullets as they were all through and throughs so I don't know what kind of weight rentention but the exit holes were big.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:48 AM   #3
wxl

Use the triple shock 130 &140 in 270, 130, 150 & 165 in 300WinMag and 300WSM, 130 and 150 in my 308. Excellent results and accuracy. My favorite hunting bullet, taking whitetail bucks last few years with them. Limited use of the 308 tipped TSX in 150gr but seems also as good as the regular TSX (for hunting purposes did not feel the tipped offerred significant gain)
Old February 3, 2010, 12:18 PM   #4

Good stuff!

I use them in my 280 Remington. I went with the 120's for the size factor. Remember, the all copper Barnes are lighter than standard bullets. When I compared the length of the Barnes with a 140 gr Sierra Gameking I found the Barnes to be slightly longer. I use 63 grains of H4831SC and am getting an average velocity of 3200 ft/second. Also, I know Barnes recomends .030-.070 of free bore which is a pretty long jump to the lands. I tried .015 and increased by .010 in shot groups of five. I didn't see a big difference. I went with the .015 because I got the fastest average velocity and just a tiny bit better group. Every gun is different though but, I hope this helps. I know one thing, pretty expensive loads to test.

Incidentally, I would go with the lighter offerings for your 270, speed and shot placement trumps mass....JMO.

Good luck, Jeff.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old February 3, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
langenc

For most of those 30 cals listed above looks like most use the 150s.

Read sometime ago that you could go down one weight w/ copper boolits and expect the same results ie 150 vs 165s.

Any discussion? Fact or someones fiction?
Old February 3, 2010, 01:47 PM   #6
thekyrifleman

From early on,, Barnes has recommended that you can drop one bullet weight due to the amazing penetration that the X bulet gives. With the original X's I used 100gr in my 7X57 one year and got complete penetration on a nice whitetail doe. They are not lighter, just longer due to the decreased density of the solid copper design. Also found them to "copper up" the barrel more than other brands when pushed to higher velocities, i.e., my 7Mag, and 7STW.
Old February 3, 2010, 04:57 PM   #7

Okay okay, I wasn't very clear in my statement. No, the Barnes bullet doesn't weigh less.....copper weighs less than lead. So, yes an all copper bullet in 120 grains is going to be longer than a copper jacketed lead offering of the same grain weight. I have also found them to copper up the barrel more so than jacketed bullets. That is due to the fact that copper jacket metal is glided and harder than the copper Barnes uses.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:28 PM   #8
AllenJ

I have shot a couple of elk with my 300 Win Mag using 180 grn Barnes and they do an excellent job on them. From what I have read the accuracy issue seems to be gun specific. In my A-Bolt I have been unable to get them to group much below 2" at 100 yards. The same gun shoots 1" groups using Noslers. I also have a Ruger and it loves them, shooting sub 1" groups.

As for "dropping a bullet weight" I did up a spread sheet listing all the popular bullet weights used for 284 and 308 cals. Using the formula that the older lead bullets retain 65% and the newer all coppers retain 95%, you should not have a problem dropping.