The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Dre

"bright fiber optic bead sight" on shotgun

Do you guys have any disturbance with those bright sights on your shotgun? I just noticed that my eye sight easily switching from the target to that "bright sight"...I think that's what cause my misses, so I switched it to regular white bead. I'll let you know if my score/result change next week after shooting.
Old January 1, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
oneounceload

I personally do not like, or use, any of those bright fiber-optic sights as they do exactly what you mentioned. If you lose your focus on the target, odds are a miss will be likely.
Old January 1, 2010, 01:11 PM   #3
aTm papi

Dre, do you have a rear sight as well?

Gig 'Em!
Old January 1, 2010, 01:18 PM   #4
Dre

ATM PAPI

YES, MY EYES...

"Shooting a shotgun accurately is about pointing the shotgun, not aiming it and what's key to that is having a shotgun that fits"
Old January 1, 2010, 03:57 PM   #5
zippy13

Dre, I just posted on sights to aTm papi...
While shooting clay targets, don't look at the beads, keep your eyes on the target! Once you verify the mount is correct, by seeing the figure 8, then switch your focus to the target distance and keep it there. This is the problem with high visibility sights for clays, they have you focusing at the end of the gun instead of the target. Generally the simple beads work best; however, if you have serious vision problems, and can't make out the figure 8, then you might wanna think about something different.
Old January 1, 2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I have them on a couple shotguns, including my target O/U. Here's the deal....

I did about a year's worth of testing. First, I removed the bead from a target barrel on an 870 TB and shot it like that for awhile.

My scores at trap, wobble and Chinese Trap didn't change.

Then, I added a Hi Viz F/O sight, using the smallest I could find (3mm) in green.

My scores didn't drop, they may have improved. My hits were noticeable better, more solid.

Later, maybe a year ago, an old friend (77 at the time) was having a very bad day at the range.

We were shooting Chinese, a game where he shines usually. However, a stroke had impinged on his vision and he was having trouble hitting 10 out of 25. He's the only guy I know who had gone straight at Chinese so this was really bothering him.

I had an idea and lent him my O/U and asked him to try a couple with it. He smoked the first pair, dropped one out of the first ten.

I gave him a spare fiber, which he mounted on his Model 21 with scotch tape and tried a few more. More hits.

Now, he's shooting respectably with F/O sights on that 21 and various other fine guns he owns.

My theory on these is.....

THe F/O bead makes it easier to precisely position the barrel correctly in your peripheral vision, making consistency attainable.

As always, it's imperative to keep your focus on the target.

IMO, most F/O beads are a little big. Try the 3mm size well as the 5mm.

As for color, I do best with green, but try red and even yellow.

And,while they work for me, YMMV.

HTH....
Old January 1, 2010, 04:24 PM   #7
BigJimP

You need a front bead / and a mid rib bead - so you can make sure your mount is correct ( not canted, etc ) .......

I don't have any problem with the Hi-Viz front beads that are stock on most Brownings - but I usually put a green or white pipe in it.

If you ever look at the front sights or barrel - after you call for the bird - its almost always a lost target .....(and a very choppy swing ..).
Old January 1, 2010, 05:10 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
If you ever look at the front sights or barrel - after you call for the bird - its almost always a lost target .....(and a very choppy swing ..).
Amen, Brother Jim.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Dre

After switching to regular white bead, my score went up and I don't have any disturbance from white bead...thanks for your tips guys, evething is count in this sport
Old January 12, 2010, 12:17 AM   #10
zippy13

Sometimes basic is best. All those comp shooters with their simple beads can't be wrong.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:56 PM   #11
Demaiter

I like the concept of the sight that Tom Knapp uses.

It's a fiber optic but with a metal tube that shelters it only letting the eye in line with the barrel capable of seeing it. It comes in different colors thicknesses and lengths.
Old January 13, 2010, 02:56 AM   #12
zippy13

Quote:
It's a fiber optic but with a metal tube that shelters it only letting the eye in line with the barrel capable of seeing it. It comes in different colors thicknesses and lengths.
The traditional two bead target system verifies that you've not canted the gun and the the figure-8 may be elongated to elevate the point of impact. Your fancy fiber can do neither.
Old January 13, 2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Dre

zippy13

The traditional two bead target system verifies that you've not canted the gun and the the figure-8 may be elongated to elevate the point of impact. Your fancy fiber can do neither.

I totally agree with you