The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2007, 11:04 AM   #1
steelrat

Dies

Hey guys, I am going to start reloading for my .300 win mag and was wondering what dies to get. I heard from a guy that Redding is the best to get for precision rifle loads. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Old April 18, 2007, 12:29 PM   #2
boltgun71

I use RCBS dies to reload for my .300 Win Mag. With it I have made several different consistent 1/2-3/4 MOA loads for my .300 Win Mag.
Old April 18, 2007, 02:54 PM   #3
williamd

I have several makes, Redding, Lee, RCBS, Lyman, CH ... they all work the same!! But, I look for RCBS first.
Old April 18, 2007, 09:02 PM   #4
elkman06

Maybe it's just me but, I think i think accuracy has less to do with dies, and more to do with the powder and brass.
elkman
Old April 18, 2007, 10:04 PM   #5
williamd

elkman06 ...... RIGHT ON
Old April 18, 2007, 11:41 PM   #6
dgc940

the newer die ring brass set screw and decapping adjustment screw on rcbs is a pos though!
I started out with Rcbs because they have a well know often heard of name.
but I now have and use only Redding and they have a large knurled finger knob and good ring set screw.
Old April 19, 2007, 06:29 AM   #7
remshooter

steelrat, check your IM.
Old April 19, 2007, 12:30 PM   #8
steelrat

Quote:
Maybe it's just me but, I think i think accuracy has less to do with dies, and more to do with the powder and brass.
elkman
So where do I need to start? I've seen in other posts that Winchester brass is pretty good, I have a bunch of once fired Winchester brass that I've fired and was just planning on using that, or should I be looking into something else? Thanks for everyones help.
Old April 19, 2007, 07:23 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"So where do I need to start? I've seen in other posts that Winchester brass is pretty good, I have a bunch of once fired Winchester brass that I've fired and was just planning on using that, or should I be looking into something else? Thanks for everyones help."

Steelrat,

There's a current thread going on that's pretty informative about favorite brass. Hope that helps. There's a lot of good brands to start out. If budget isn't too much of a concern, I like the Lapua and Norma brass. For being on a budget, consider Winchester and Remington. The once fired that you have should serve you well. Just be sure that you neck size only if you fired that brass in the same rifle you intend to reload for. That alone will give you a point in the right direction in accuracy and longer brass life. Also, stay on top of keeping it trimmed to proper length.

IMHO, fork over the few extra bucks and get the Redding. You won't be disappointed...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 19, 2007, 10:28 PM   #10
Dave R

I like Redding dies best. Just little things, like they come with the shellholder and a nice place in the box to hold it. They don't need tools to adjust, except an allen wrench for the ring clamp (precise term?) And they include the allen wrench and a nice place to keep it. They include a spare decapping pin, too.
Old April 19, 2007, 10:53 PM   #11
elkman06

I don't have anything bad to say about Winchester brass. I've reloaded a bunch of it and had very good results. Also like Federal.
elkman
Old April 20, 2007, 07:40 AM   #12
FM12

If you're looking for the last bit of accuracy, might check on the "benchrest" line some brands offer. They're expensive though.
Old April 20, 2007, 10:08 AM   #13
remshooter

It has been in my limited experience that all dies, Lee, RCBS, etc will give very accurate reloads. If you are looking for the last bit of accuracy for compitetion that is where Redding shines.
To me they are very good dies but not worth the extra money when just regular hunting loads is all that is required.
Your mileage may vary of course.
Old April 20, 2007, 10:12 AM   #14
cheygriz

Having used every brand of die available to me over the years, I now use Redding only.

I no longer even look at other brands, I just order Redding.